DVDVR Message Board

Babyfaces who are incapable of being heels

cwoy2j

Granted, it was before he was a big deal, but Sting was in Hot Stuff International. Gilbert was doing all the talking, but that doesn't make Sting a babyface while in a heel stable. He also was a heel in CWA before the UWF run.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Becky is a good heel. The crowd just doesn't want it at this point. Wasn't she a heel a decent amount of time she was in the indies?

From what I remember she was.  It's not that she can't work out as a heel, it's that the story doesn't give many reason to boo her.  If she turned heel with a different story I think she could pull it off wonderfully.

Now one that is incapable of being a heel is Bayley.  She's said on podcasts that she'd like to try it but I can't see her pulling it off.  It's partly because of her general demeanor and partly because she just doesn't have the promo/acting ability to pull it off.  Even if she changed everything and did all she could to make it work it just wouldn't stick and either she'll be back as a face or just somebody people don't care one way or another about.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Becky is a good heel. The crowd just doesn't want it at this point.

Oh, I agree she's doing good work. It's just that, by playing such a good heel--one who is so convinced she's right--the crowd agrees with her, and loves her more for it. That's the weird thing about this dynamic in modern wrestling: People cheer the performance, so a "good heel" sometimes... isn't. I mean, we just had a Miz/Bryan match with dueling chants.

A slightly more serious answer: I don't think I've ever seen Ibushi really work heel, though he's leaned more into his striking lately, using it in an intentionally Nakamura-esque arrogant/dominant fashion. But even while he was kicking Old Man Tana's head through the ropes, the crowd didn't boo. So while I wouldn't say he's incapable, it hasn't happened. (And is somewhat unlikely to.)

21 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Oh, I agree she's doing good work. It's just that, by playing such a good heel--one who is so convinced she's right--the crowd agrees with her, and loves her more for it. That's the weird thing about this dynamic in modern wrestling: People cheer the performance, so a "good heel" sometimes... isn't. I mean, we just had a Miz/Bryan match with dueling chants.

Yeah, but even with that, the dynamic of the Becky/Charlotte feud has been just unprecedented in pro wrestling, even with this modern dynamic.

There's been heels who were popular before.

There's been faces who were unpopular before.

There's been popular heels feuding with unpopular faces before.

There's been alternate character interpretation, where a fan of the heel decided to jump through hoops to decide "this person is the real hero", even if it was grasping at straws.

There's been faces who were so unpopular the fans basically decided "we hate this guy so much we'll even cheer THIS ASSHOLE over him. TAKE THE HINT!"

There's been heel turns where the faces were so unpopular the company decided to end the experiment immediately on the face side over the reasction. 

But I'm pretty sure there's never been an instance until Becky/Charlotte where a heel turn happened, and the crowd universally decided the heel was the face and the face was the heel. 

49 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But I'm pretty sure there's never been an instance until Becky/Charlotte where a heel turn happened, and the crowd universally decided the heel was the face and the face was the heel. 

Closest I can think of was when Eddy turned on Tajiri in 03 and the audience just flat out refused. But even then, I don't remember a backlash against Tajiri.

• Like 3

Becky's heel turn is 100% alternate character interpretation. Loses clean to best friend. Attacks best friend repeatedly. Fans say best friend wronged her, call her "female Roman Reigns", decide that Becky's actions are justified.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Closest I can think of was when Eddy turned on Tajiri in 03 and the audience just flat out refused. But even then, I don't remember a backlash against Tajiri.

Tajiri remained over as a face. Eddy could just do no wrong at that point.

3 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Granted, it was before he was a big deal, but Sting was in Hot Stuff International. Gilbert was doing all the talking, but that doesn't make Sting a babyface while in a heel stable. He also was a heel in CWA before the UWF run.

I wasn't saying he was never a heel. Just that he was never a good heel.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Becky's heel turn is 100% alternate character interpretation. Loses clean to best friend. Attacks best friend repeatedly. Fans say best friend wronged her, call her "female Roman Reigns", decide that Becky's actions are justified.

Which is why at some point down the line I hope they revisit her becoming a full blown heel.  So long as it's patently obvious she's the asshole in the wrong then they'll be more willing to boo her.  And from the little I've seen of her in that role she'll do just fine.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Did anyone ever try a heel run with Tito or Pedro? I can't think of them ever working heel off the top of my head...

I can't see Pedro being a heel but I think Tito was talented enough to pull it off. I don't know how but I feel like he would've been good enough to do it.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was under the impression they were supposed to be heels.

From what i remember, Filthy Animals started out as tweeners, turned heel, then later turned babyface.   They were def. heels at some point in 2000.

Just to make sure its clear - Becky was a heel in NXT (both when she turned on Bayley and then when she had the Takeover match against Sasha).

And Bayley - funnily enough - did at least one match as a tweener when she debuted on NXT against Paige. But that was before she was doing her current gimmick