DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

You could say the same for all the guys involved in that match. It was an entire mess with guys just standing around waiting for each other to get ready to hit some ridiculous career shortening spots.

On 9/1/2018 at 3:48 PM, Eivion said:

That is a shame. They were always a pretty solid team team. Loved them going against the BJW guys.

I like Akebono, but I can't disagree with you on that. It is amazing he is still alive.

All things considered...

In April 2017 he was hospitalized after feeling unwell while on a wrestling tour in Kitakyushu.[70] Early reports indicated that he had been placed in a medically-induced coma after suffering a cardiac condition,[71] but his family later released a statement on Akebono's website criticizing "misleading" articles and saying he was undergoing treatment "due to a right leg cellulitis and an infection."[72] A family spokesperson thanked Akebono's fans for their support, saying "The number of messages from around the world has been overwhelming."[73] The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that the original story was in fact correct and that the cellulitis claim was a cover story for a serious heart issue.[74]

Akebono's wife said in March 2018 that her husband had suffered acute heart failure in the incident and was in a medically induced coma for two weeks. He lost nearly 130 pounds, much of it in muscle, and could not walk as of March 2018, requiring the use of a wheelchair. He is to begin intensive physical therapy.[75]

I haven't seen anything since.

• Sad 1

Until the Flair thing where he talked about being in a coma (and despite me having both read and watched The Dead Zone) I didn't know being in a coma meant you had to relearn to walk, no matter how long you're out. Akebono is up for the fight of his life with that given his weight and that muscle loss. Damn...