DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Hamhock said:

It’s a testament to Eddie Guerrero’s talent that he’s still listed in 33% of the top matches (5 out of 15), even though they’ve had thousands of matches take place on Smackdown in the nearly 13 years since his death.

Yeah it's bullshit. Shoulda been at least twice as many Eddy matches. #unbiasedfact

• Like 2

I'll have an attempt at the top 15 Smackdown matches ever. I also won't be picking Chris Benoit.

15. Women's Money in the Bank Match. 27th June 2017.

14. Jeff Hardy vs. John Morrison. 31st July 2009.

13. JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero. 15th July 2004.

12. The New Day vs. The Bludgeon Brothers. 21st August 2018.

11. Kurt Angle vs. Booker T. 26th July 2001.

10. Eddie Guerrero vs. John Cena. 11th September 2013.

9. Randy Orton vs. Christian. 30th August 2011.

8. CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy. 28th August 2009.

7. Cesaro vs. Randy Orton. 14th February 2014.

6. Rey Mysterio vs. Matt Hardy. 5th June 2003.

5. The Shield vs. Randy Orton/Team Hell No. 14th June 2013.

4. Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero. 23rd June 2005.

3. The Undertaker vs. Batista. 11th May 2007.

2. The Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle. 4th September 2003.

1. Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero. 26th September 2002.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio from June 2005 should definitely be there.

The 3/18/04 title match was a classic as well. The WGTT vs Eddy/Tajiri matches were some of my all-time favorites.

Look, honestly, my entire top fifteen could quite possibly involve Eddy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

The 3/18/04 title match was a classic as well. The WGTT vs Eddy/Tajiri matches were some of my all-time favorites.

Look, honestly, my entire top fifteen could quite possibly involve Eddy.

I forgot about the 3/18/04 match. Had I not, it would have made the cut.

Eddie Guerrero was so versatile, could do it all.

• Like 1

I don't want to treat that list as anything definitive or as anything but the puff piece it is, but it is telling that Smackdown has been on since April 1999 and Eddy only wrestled on it for about five total years. Whoever put that list together clearly is as big a mark for Eddy as I am. Is Sasha doing dot com work?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't want to treat that list as anything definitive or as anything but the puff piece it is, but it is telling that Smackdown has been on since April 1999 and Eddy only wrestled on it for about five total years. Whoever put that list together clearly is as big a mark for Eddy as I am. Is Sasha doing dot com work?

I think Eddy is used in a lot of stuff because, in addition to being great, he is no longer with us and is a redemptive figure (a favorite wwe narrative). Obviously a contrast to you know who. 

• Like 2

I remember Eddie attacking him (I wanna say it was when Austin beat Flair in that match with the stip that Flair had to be Austin's servant if he lost) but I think he was alone. 

Edited by BrianS81177
pronouns pal, god damn!

On 9/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, DreamBroken said:

I was hating that SD list (New Day vs Bludgeon Brothers being top 5 is a huge WTF to me) but then got to #1 and decided it's okay. That was the first match I was going to point out as not being on the list when I first started reading it so was pleasantly shocked to see at #1 of all places, I remember loving that match at the time and felt like a real future star maker for Edge. But yeah elsewhere on the list, really surprised there's no Taker/Angle from 7/4/02 (or the later rematch). I'm one of the few that loved the Alexa/Becky feud, but the cage match I thought was the least of their matches. Can't really see any case for Cena/Nakamura being top 10, especially over something like Orton/Christian from 2011.

I really, really liked that New Day/Blugeons match. It probably makes a top 10-20 for me but you're right, top 5 is lofty.

5 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Anyone who is a wrestling fan should be an Eddy mark.

Agreed. I watched Eddy/Jericho from Fall Brawl 97 when I got home this morning (which I've really been looking forward to for a while during my 90s rewatch) and it holds up so damn well. Next stop: Rey/Eddy at Halloween Havoc

• Like 1