DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Actually I think Starrcade was originally an afternoon show, and they sold it on the idea that people could watch both shows on the same day. Vince then pulled the power play by threatening to pull all WWF shows going forward. 2-3 carriers called Vince's bluff and showed Starcade, Vince had forgotten about it by the time their next PPV rolled around.

1 minute ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Bullshit.  Vince ran the first Royal Rumble for free on USA  against the Bunkhouse Stampede finals.  JCP fought back by running the first Clash against WMIV.

Survivor Series (1987) predates the Rumble (1988).  You're both right but Rumble/Bunkhouse and Mania/Clash were the second and third shots in that war after Survivor/Starrcade.  Then the cable companies told them to knock it the fuck off.

Or, if you believe Bruce Prichard (hardy har har), the cable companies asked Vince to come up with a Thanksgiving PPV.

It's weird looking at him there because he doesn't look nearly as blown up as he looks now and prefer how he looked in TNA/Impact over this. I still enjoy his character and think he's good enough in the ring.

• Like 2

Watching stuff on NJPW World still. Victor Zangiev was unbelievable despite having such little pro-wres experience. I had already seen the Hashimoto match previously through the years, but not the Buzz Sawyer match and even though it's quite short, he still looks pretty great in it.

If only New Japan could find a way to scout and train some new Russian amateur wrestlers or Sambo fighters. I think someone like Khabib Nurmagomedov and Rustem Khabilov from the UFC, for example, would be great, but of course that's never happening. Would love to see Khabib balloon to 200+ lbs and ragdoll some New Japan Jr.'s.

3 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Will Raw ever be two hours again? 3 hours seems like a forced mistake so far after all these years.

Don't think so. There's an episode of Bring it to the Table where this is discussed and JBL explains the reason it's 3 hours is because of sponsorship. I believe they get paid some extra money to keep it a 3 hour show or something along that line.

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I could be completely mis-remembering this, but wasn't Survivor Series created by Vince and run on Thanksgiving day as a giant middle finger to the NWA?  

Yes, Starrcade was moved to the afternoon, then Vince gave an ultimatum and said if Starrcade was carried, he would withhold Wrestlemania 4. I think the two companies who called his bluff still got to run it. 

Crockett tried to run Bunkhouse Stampede and Vince could not pull the same gambit twice. So he got USA to run the Royal Rumble opposite. Which got Crockett to go to Turner to run the first Clash on TBS. But no one seeing the Stampede might have been a blessing. 

WWE has only owned up to this on the WCW and possibly Starrcade dvd. 

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Good guy, great character, bloody awful wrestler.

"Awful" is a bit hyperbolic. He's a perfectly fine wrestler. He's never going to blow anyone away in the ring, but he's not so bad that he's going to fuck up every spot in a match. He shouldn't be in NXT, though. He can't compete at that level. He should be on the main roster, where his presence and charisma can cover for what he lacks in the ring.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So presumably 205 Live is not live?

Everyone gets too caught up on the "live" part of the 205 Live brand. After all, the company is still called "World Wrestling Entertainment," even though they're SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT, PAL.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm fairly certain WWE no longer actually stands for anything* officially. Like they did a press release about that once.

*Except Walk With Elias, obviously.

Of course, they don't stand for anything.

see Saudi Blood Money shows

• Like 5

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

They showed a commerical during Raw last night, advertising the "new Wednesday night lineup" of 205 ~> NXT ~> MYC

I wish there were some way of knowing WWE Network ratings because I'm curious to see the viewership on three individual hour shows as versus one three hour show. I wonder if it would change the way Raw is booked and presented if these shows prove you can hold an audience for three hours on a regular basis if you give them enough variety but somehow segmented. So much of what happens on Raw is on social media, YouTube, WWE.com etc right after anyway. 

Maybe one day it would end up that of Raw's three hours, 8-9 is for (let's say) the tag teams, 9-10 is for the women, and 10-11 is just a super tight well booked showcase of the IC and Heavyweight divisions. I'm sure Vince would love the idea of somehow getting to promote three "main events" on one show/night.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm fairly certain WWE no longer actually stands for anything* officially. Like they did a press release about that once.

*Except Walk With Elias, obviously.

Yeah..orphan initialism like KFC. 

11 minutes ago, Victator said:

That is what they were doing in the late 90s. Hour one was War Zone and hour 2 was Raw is War.

Hour one was Monday Night RAW, hour two was The War Zone, combined it was RAW is War

• Like 3