Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Player One said:

Why is Melina persona

Why is Melina persona non grata with the company?  If I've heard this before, I've completely forgotten about it.

 

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hard work. A diva.

Allegedly.

I had always heard it was due to her going through the men's locker room (i.e. Batista among others)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As with everything - the truth probably lives in the middle of all the stories

There are stories she had heat with every single woman in the locker room at one point (complete with Lita throwing her out of the locker room at one point)

There was her relationship with Batista which may or may not have been when her and Morrison were dating (and I can't remember if Batista was dating someone at the time)

Plus she is injury prone

Again - time heals all wounds. Remember no one though Maria would return to the WWE as long as the Bellas were around but she came back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nate said:

Re: Melina, I seem to recall that she tried to plan some kind of run-in on a major show with Natalya, after Melina was let go.  She was texting Natalya about how she (Melina) would buy a ticket to the show, during which Natalya had a match, and, after the match Melina would jump the rail and "attack" Natalya.  The theory for why this would work, acc. to Melina, was that Vince loves "real world" angles.

Natalya snitched Melina out to the McMahons, who put security on alert.

Bischoff totally would've gone for that...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As with everything - the truth probably lives in the middle of all the stories

There are stories she had heat with every single woman in the locker room at one point (complete with Lita throwing her out of the locker room at one point)

There was her relationship with Batista which may or may not have been when her and Morrison were dating (and I can't remember if Batista was dating someone at the time)

Plus she is injury prone

Again - time heals all wounds. Remember no one though Maria would return to the WWE as long as the Bellas were around but she came back.

Wasn't the stink about Melina-Batitsta that Dave was still married at the time and his wife was going through cancer treatments?

And i think she was still with Morrison at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

No, he’s thinking of John Edwards.

So many choices. 

No, no, you're thinking of Lance Armstrong ditching Sheryl Crow when she was battling cancer after she stuck by his side during his battle with cancer.

So yes, so many choices. You know, this is one of those things that is just unfathomable to me. Even if it was a situation where my wife was dying and told me to move on, I honestly don't think I could. At the very least, it would take a lot of therapy to even date again. So to cheat on a spouse or leave them during their fight with cancer seems so scummy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of the current New Japan product, but I signed up to NJPW World this morning as I want to watch/re-watch a lot of the old 80's, 90's and early to mid 00's matches up on there.

So far I've watched quite a bit from the 80's and I will say Fujinami/Dynamite from 2/5/80 and Fujinami/Hara from 4/3/80 were very good/great both. Dynamite works entirely different than he usually does in that match by heeling it up and exploiting a cut from a previous match Fujinami had and he blasts him with some right hands and vicious stomps which open Fujinami up.

Watched the Inoki/Hansen series and it's quite underwhelming. I prefer watching big bad bully Texas bruiser Hansen from All Japan than bumping for Inoki heel Hansen from New Japan. His series with Andre the Giant from New Japan was much better than this imo.

It's only a matter of weeks before I burn through all these matches I want to watch and cancel my subscription and just go back to watching old 90's W*ING events on YouTube. ¯\(ツ)/¯

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

It's only a matter of weeks before I burn through all these matches I want to watch and cancel my subscription and just go back to watching old 90's W*ING events on YouTube. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Well, at the very least try and burn through the top 20-30 on the '80s set http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/663-dvdvr-best-of-the-1980s-new-japan-results/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, at the very least try and burn through the top 20-30 on the '80s set http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/663-dvdvr-best-of-the-1980s-new-japan-results/

Thanks! I was burnt out/bored and wasn't watching pro-wrestling around the time those projects were rolled out, but I have seen 25 or so of the top 30 of those matches.

What intrigues me the most are those Tiger Mask vs. random luchador matches no one seems to talk about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

No, no, you're thinking of Lance Armstrong ditching Sheryl Crow when she was battling cancer after she stuck by his side during his battle with cancer.

So yes, so many choices. You know, this is one of those things that is just unfathomable to me. Even if it was a situation where my wife was dying and told me to move on, I honestly don't think I could. At the very least, it would take a lot of therapy to even date again. So to cheat on a spouse or leave them during their fight with cancer seems so scummy.

Crow didn't even start dating Armstrong until 2003.  Armstrong's cancer treatment was in 1996. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Thanks! That's one of those projects I wasn't watching pro-wrestling around the time it occurred, but I have seen the majority of those matches before.

What intrigues me the most are those Tiger Mask vs. random luchador matches no one seems to talk about.

The excel spreadsheet here is useful for finding links directly to a lot of matches, considering the New Japan World search engine is pretty bad.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

The excel spreadsheet here is useful for finding links directly to a lot of matches, considering the New Japan World search engine is pretty bad.

 

Not only is the search engine bad, but the translations are straight from the Google translator.

Yamamoto small iron

large Mount Kurai Katsuzo

Perot Aguayo

Andre the Jainto?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

So yes, so many choices. You know, this is one of those things that is just unfathomable to me. Even if it was a situation where my wife was dying and told me to move on, I honestly don't think I could. At the very least, it would take a lot of therapy to even date again. So to cheat on a spouse or leave them during their fight with cancer seems so scummy.

My Uncle did that. Well, technically he was never my uncle, because my Auntie never married him, but yeah, when she had terminal cancer he pulled a disappearing act. Then had the nerve to be upset when it turned out she didn't leave a will, and because they weren't married he wasn't next of kin. He inherited nothing... I mean he got to sponge off her for a couple of decades while she was alive, but after that he had nothing.

He was not a very nice man. Probably still isn't a very nice man, if he's still alive. I don't care either way.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Edwin said:

What intrigues me the most are those Tiger Mask vs. random luchador matches no one seems to talk about.

Hate to break it to you but Sayama's cred goes way down watching his stuff, or at least it did for me and many others. IIRC he has a really good Gran Hamada match and the rest of it ain't so hot. Weird thing, right after I watched all that stuff I also watched him in UWF without the mask against Fujiwara and flipped because it was so much better.

The random stuff that really stood out to me was the matches with guys like Don Nakaya Nielsen, the luchadors, and the Russians (you HAVE to see Hashimoto vs. Zangiev). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hate to break it to you but Sayama's cred goes way down watching his stuff, or at least it did for me and many others. IIRC he has a really good Gran Hamada match and the rest of it ain't so hot. Weird thing, right after I watched all that stuff I also watched him in UWF without the mask against Fujiwara and flipped because it was so much better.

The random stuff that really stood out to me was the matches with guys like Don Nakaya Nielsen, the luchadors, and the Russians (you HAVE to see Hashimoto vs. Zangiev). 

Curt is correct. It's not about comparing it to 2018 wrestling. He ages worse than his peers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...