DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, DreamBroken said:

I was hating that SD list (New Day vs Bludgeon Brothers being top 5 is a huge WTF to me) but then got to #1 and decided it's okay. That was the first match I was going to point out as not being on the list when I first started reading it so was pleasantly shocked to see at #1 of all places, I remember loving that match at the time and felt like a real future star maker for Edge. But yeah elsewhere on the list, really surprised there's no Taker/Angle from 7/4/02 (or the later rematch). I'm one of the few that loved the Alexa/Becky feud, but the cage match I thought was the least of their matches. Can't really see any case for Cena/Nakamura being top 10, especially over something like Orton/Christian from 2011.

I really, really liked that New Day/Blugeons match. It probably makes a top 10-20 for me but you're right, top 5 is lofty.

5 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Anyone who is a wrestling fan should be an Eddy mark.

Agreed. I watched Eddy/Jericho from Fall Brawl 97 when I got home this morning (which I've really been looking forward to for a while during my 90s rewatch) and it holds up so damn well. Next stop: Rey/Eddy at Halloween Havoc

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Stone Cold and Eddie program never reached a proper conclusion correct?  

No, Austin walked out over the proposed plan of losing to Brock on Raw with no build.

If Austin didn't walk out, I would have loved Flair and Arn managing a Horsemen-like faction against Austin and three reluctant allies. I would have gone with Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, and Lance Storm.

In Brian Pillman's book, it's mentioned that WCW was planning a Horsemen vs. Horsemen angle at one point, with the new age Horsemen being comprised of Pillman, Benoit, Eddie, and Jericho.

In the future, possible board of directors controlled WWE or even Basil Devito run WWE are options I didn't bother to think about before.

Something tells me Vince won't give it to Triple H out of spite. That's just how carnies are.

Can't find that on HWN, but I'm listening to the Steve Austin Podcast episode with MJF and he does the interview in full character and Austin is playing along. A must listen to especially if you're a fan of MJF.

Ultimately the point is that it fucking sucks to live in a world without Eddie still here and kicking ass. I know it's all subjective but I'd watch almost any match he had over the likes of Flair, Hansen, Misawa, etc. Eddie Guerrero, had he lived a life as long as say, Ric Flair, would almost definitely end up being the greatest wrestler of all time.

• Like 4

That's a very apples to oranges comparison. It depends entirely on what type of match you prefer. But Owen's habit of dogging it on house shows is a mark against him. You paid to see Doc, you saw Doc. And arguably Doc was able to Excel in more different environments than Owen did, but then he was always booked strong, whilst Owen had all these intermittent career burials to deal with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edwin said:

Can't find that on HWN, but I'm listening to the Steve Austin Podcast episode with MJF and he does the interview in full character and Austin is playing along. A must listen to especially if you're a fan of MJF.

Another thing to check out later. I've been really enjoying MJF's work.

20 hours ago, D.Z said:

In the future, possible board of directors controlled WWE or even Basil Devito run WWE are options I didn't bother to think about before.

Something tells me Vince won't give it to Triple H out of spite. That's just how carnies are.

Why wouldn't Vince give the company to the man he's spent over a decade grooming to take over? 

• Like 2

I think ROH needs to get more aggressive in their marketing campaign going forward if they want to reach the next level, they should also look into appointing a new booker and  signing some new talent. I'm not saying go for the top indie prospects but they should be looking for the under the radar just about to blow indie talents.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Ultimately the point is that it fucking sucks to live in a world without Eddie still here and kicking ass. I know it's all subjective but I'd watch almost any match he had over the likes of Flair, Hansen, Misawa, etc. Eddie Guerrero, had he lived a life as long as say, Ric Flair, would almost definitely end up being the greatest wrestler of all time.

I honestly can't argue with this. And honestly, let me say this: put the in-ring aside for a second, and he's still one of the best (or at least a personal favorite of mine) in terms of talkers. I was so legitimately angry at him as a kid when he was a heel in WCW and man it just holds up so well rewatching it now. For me it's like almost the feeling people get when they watch Christmas movies or something.

I remember i was at the Smackdown taping where he served Rey the papers for custody of Domenic and it was such a fun time and it got a pretty decently big reaction even though it was such corny writing and shit. But he made "Eddie's Bedtime Stories" work and just did everything he could with it, and got pretty good Eddy sucks chants. I was actually just thinking about this the other day when Samoa Joe did the "Goodnight AJ" promo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Why wouldn't Vince give the company to the man he's spent over a decade grooming to take over? 

Why would Vince dismantle nearly everything NWA just to give a man who wants nothing but a NWA clone in the future? 

52 minutes ago, matt925 said:

So punishment Martinez of all people signed with wwe. Is this the beginning of the end of ring of honor?

What? Did people think that guy wasn’t going to get a look from WWE?

Huge over-exaggeration. Let’s save the “ROH is dead” takes for when the key players in Bullet Club sign on for McMahon’s Millions. 

• Like 2

I forgot to check in for my Teddy Hart-athon reactions. In short, we all loved Teddy and Homicide went down in our estimation because of his ludicrously long, drawn out heat segments, even as a babyface in JAPW. Match of the night was the cage tag match with Anvil making the Sabu surprise appearance. We all lost it for that. 

The February 2004 JAPW singles between Homicide and Teddy was so weird. Like it was the babyface beating the shit out of the hated heel for what felt like 20 minutes with little progression of violence and the world's shortest comeback. Like there was a lot to like but way too greedy. It was weird to see Teddy Hart selling but he hadn't given up entirely by that stage. 

Pizza, wings and Teddy Hart really helped me escape what had been a terribly stressful month at work. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What? Did people think that guy wasn’t going to get a look from WWE?

Huge over-exaggeration. Let’s save the “ROH is dead” takes for when the key players in Bullet Club sign on for McMahon’s Millions. 

He’s 36, he’s not an Indy draw, they have way too many people already. Seems like he’s the first free agent since MSG. Just saying. 

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, Austin walked out over the proposed plan of losing to Brock on Raw with no build.

If Austin didn't walk out, I would have loved Flair and Arn managing a Horsemen-like faction against Austin and three reluctant allies. I would have gone with Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, and Lance Storm.

In Brian Pillman's book, it's mentioned that WCW was planning a Horsemen vs. Horsemen angle at one point, with the new age Horsemen being comprised of Pillman, Benoit, Eddie, and Jericho.

I feel like Jericho has dismissed those rumours either in one of his books or podcast, where they talked about that Apocalypse stable, with Regal and I think Alex Wright being in there as well? He seemed like he'd never heard of it at the time.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He’s starting to collect some momentum in ROH and he’s six and a half feet tall. This is par for the course.

I think Martinez will run into the same problem Killer Kross would run into in the 'E. Now, he's in a promotion where he won't look so imposing, whereas in ROH he was their monster. Martinez has a lot tattoos, just like Aleister Black, Corbin, and Bray. You think he's going to get to keep his Undertaker-like look? The magic 8-ball says outlook not so good. I figure he'll be in the performance center group for a while, like Donovan Dijak. 

ROH did something right with their choice of who took the tv title from Martinez. I don't know if anyone is avoiding the results of the day-after Death Before Dishonor tv tapings, so I won't mention him by name. I feel like he's going to win the ROH title in the next year, and he should. 

The notion that ROH is in trouble because fucking Punishment Martinez left is really funny.

It was never the beginning of the end when Bryan, Punk, Steen, etc. left, but it might be because Punishment left?

He always seemed like a better Baron Corbin to me.

• Like 2