DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I also always feel like this is a product of them trying to "check all the boxes"

Need to make sure we have a women's match

Need to make sure we have something from this year.

Need to have a Rock match

I am a little surprised they didn't cram an Undertaker match on there

Also “no [name redacted] matches. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The list is

Hide contents

15) Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H – Intercontinental Championship Match: April 12, 2001

14) Team Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero & Tajiri – WWE Tag Team Championship Match: May 29, 2003

13) Becky Lynch vs. Alexa Bliss - Smackdown Women's Championship Steel Cage Match: Jan 17, 2017

12) Triple H vs. The Rock – WWE Championship Match w/ Shawn Michaels & Shane McMahon as special guest referees: Aug. 26, 1999

11) Kurt Angle vs. Booker T – WCW Championship Match: July 26, 2001

10) Women's Money in the Bank Match - June 27, 2017

9) Eddie Guerrero vs. John Cena – United States Championship Parking Lot Brawl: Sept 11, 2003

8.) Rey Mysterio vs. Matt Hardy – Cruiserweight Championship Match: June 5, 2003

7) John Cena vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - Aug 1, 2017

6) JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero – WWE Championship Steel Cage Match: July 15, 2004

5) Edge & Rey Mysterio vs. Los Guerreros – No. 1 Contender Match for WWE Tag Team Championship: Oct. 24, 2002

4) New Day vs. Bludgeon Brothers - Smackdown Tag Team Championship No DQ - Aug 21, 2018

3) The Shield vs. Randy Orton & Team Hell No: June 14, 2013

2) Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle – WWE Championship Iron Man Match: Sept. 18, 2003

1) Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero – No Disqualification Match: Sept. 26, 2002

Match #2 is bullshit.  It was easily the most boring match I’ve ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Kane came into the BBQ joint I work at today. He didn't tip. 

Fucking Libertarians

Now I wonder if he'll tip when he comes to Maryland tomorrow for MonsterMania.

Would love to know who the genius was that booked that the same weekend as Baltimore Comic Con.  So I had to choose between a convention that's across the street from my work or a convention that will have Kane, Mick Foley and Lita.  If only I had money to burn and time to spare I'd say screw it and do both.

50 minutes ago, Player One said:

I want to meet that person..... so he can explain the joke to me.

It's a reference to Marvel Comic's Stan Lee and Jack "the King" Kirby.

Kirby was responsible for co-creating half (if not more) of Marvel's original characters and got no formal credit or compensation (other than payment for artwork) for doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I also always feel like this is a product of them trying to "check all the boxes"

Need to make sure we have a women's match

Need to make sure we have something from this year.

Need to have a Rock match

I am a little surprised they didn't cram an Undertaker match on there

I'm trying to recall, wasn't Brothers of Destruction and Bryan vs. the Shield on Smackdown? If so I'm surprised that wasn't the Shield match they chose.

14 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Which was more boring?

Mania 19. I acknowledge they're disadvantaged by following Rock-Austin, McMahon-Hogan, and Michaels-Jericho, but the crowd isn't there for the bulk of the match. I've tried rewatching it a few times, but normally as soon as Kurt throws on a hold and looks like he's settling into a heat segment, I'm done. Dullsville. 

Any time I see it on a best-of list, it's an immediate eye roll. 

At least the ironman is in front of a TV audience who've been exposed to less star power and the booking of the match is so stupid that it holds my attention. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Mania 19. I acknowledge they're disadvantaged by following Rock-Austin, McMahon-Hogan, and Michaels-Jericho, but the crowd isn't there for the bulk of the match. I've tried rewatching it a few times, but normally as soon as Kurt throws on a hold and looks like he's settling into a heat segment, I'm done. Dullsville. 

Any time I see it on a best-of list, it's an immediate eye roll. 

At least the ironman is in front of a TV audience who've been exposed to less star power and the booking of the match is so stupid that it holds my attention. 

The Angle/Lesnar rivalry has to be among the most overrated of all time, right? Like people treat it like they produced all-time classics and had technical masterpieces. I’m a huge Lesnar fan. Not so much Angle but I recognize his talent but I never liked that feud at all.

• Like 1

It’s a testament to Eddie Guerrero’s talent that he’s still listed in 33% of the top matches (5 out of 15), even though they’ve had thousands of matches take place on Smackdown in the nearly 13 years since his death.

• Like 5

I was hating that SD list (New Day vs Bludgeon Brothers being top 5 is a huge WTF to me) but then got to #1 and decided it's okay. That was the first match I was going to point out as not being on the list when I first started reading it so was pleasantly shocked to see at #1 of all places, I remember loving that match at the time and felt like a real future star maker for Edge. But yeah elsewhere on the list, really surprised there's no Taker/Angle from 7/4/02 (or the later rematch). I'm one of the few that loved the Alexa/Becky feud, but the cage match I thought was the least of their matches. Can't really see any case for Cena/Nakamura being top 10, especially over something like Orton/Christian from 2011.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I can think of another iron man match that’s more boring 

I’m biased against it since I had to sit through it live.  As soon as Lesnar cheated to go up big, I knew we were going to have to sit through Angle’s attempts at selling while making a comeback.