DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If this is a real thing you're doing, you gotta watch the Best Friends episode with him on Highspots. I've brought it up here before but he's so crazy it's riveting. My man Chuck Taylor gives some REALLY great Jim Halpert looks into the camera. Even just watch the trailer on YouTube cause it's bonkers on it's own.

Oh yeah, I've seent it. Hard left Teddy Hart! Never seen a shoot interview go like that one. Classic shit. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 1:56 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, because I'm not into comic books and comic book movies.

The Crow, The Punisher, and Spawn are the exceptions for me.

Love the Crow (1994 movie), rest of them are awful.

Wrestling related matters, with those who don't like intergender matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Does anyone know how to make two adult male cats get along, btw? I might have to tweet at Teddy Hart for real. My girlfriend and her cat moved in 2 months ago and it's been a real hassle

Are both of them fixed? If not, that's a good starting point. If one or both still has his junk they are going to fight non-stop over pussy, even if there is no actual pussy to be had. If they''re both fixed make sure to feed them together at the same time, that way each cat sees that the other one isn't spmehow getting a better deal. Male cats are extremely jealous and will fight to the death over the two most important things in their lives, food and pussy. A neutered male will have no interest in the latter, hence no fighting. And if all things are equal at the dinner table, no reason to fight,

This leave the minor shit, like who gets to sleep closest to the humans and gets the window during the afternoon, one will eventually assume the leadership role,  nothing that you need to (or can do) about it, the cats will sort it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was listening to Cornette and Brian Last talk about how Invader #1, Carlos Colón and Victor Jovica should get blackballed for what happened with Bruiser Brody, but some details Cornette got wrong:

1. Cornette claims business in Puerto Rican wrestling hit an all-time low after that and that's not true. Business stayed the same despite the incident and it actually boomed 17 or so years later when Victor Quiñones founded IWA and the interpromotional war began.

2. Cornette also claims that was the end of big name foreigners wrestling in Puerto Rico and that's not true as a ton of big names wrestled in Puerto Rico through the years after the incident and even big WWE names wrestled in Puerto Rico for non WWE events.

Some other stuff:

Spoiler

Speaking of, Quiñones is a name barely anyone talks about. Quiñones was hugely influential in Puerto Rican wrestling history, but he seems to get ignored quite a bit and everyone just talks about Colón and Jovica.

A lot of Japanese guys -- Tajiri, TAKA, Minoru Fujita, etc. loved him. He was a wealthy promoter and he was a key founding member of W*ING and IWA JAPAN. He also helped Big Japan, I believe and FMW. He was the key guy who helped Tajiri, Super Crazy, Mosco de la Merced, Aguila, Ikuto Hidaka, etc. get booked in ECW.

Quiñones also helped TAKA develop the Kaientai Dojo in Puerto Rico where a lot of them trained by TAKA and Fujita. A lot of those K-DOJO guys, got their start in Puerto Rico as part of a Jr. Heavyweight faction lead by Fujita and they were mostly whipping boys for Ricky Banderas.

Quiñones was also very close to the Headhunters. They also worked as the Reggaetoneros in the early to mid 00's in WWC.

In the 80's and 90's he worked with WWC and that's how guys like Ricky Santana as the Iceman, Miguel Peréz Jr., the Invaders, etc. got booked in W*ING and IWA JAPAN. That's why you can see him working as a ref. in some of the 80's WWC events.

Some other stuff:

Remember Derrick King from Memphis? He was a regular for WWC some 14 years ago. He teamed with Stan Lee -- they were known as Salt & Pepper. They were multiple time WWC tag champs, but as per usual, Carlos and Jovica stopped paying them and they flew to Memphis and took the titles with them. WWC then sent them some checks in the mail and they FedEx'd the titles back.

There was a promoter in Puerto Rico back in the 90's who's name escapes my mind, but he booked a ton of guys like Greg Valentine for a show and they were sent plane tickets. The guys flew to Puerto Rico and the show never took place and the guys were stranded at Puerto Rico with no money to fly back home...

Remember Rosey from 3 Minute Warning? He was a regular in WWC, but bailed on Carlos and Jovica after guess what? Issues with his pay... I remember one of his last payoffs was handed to him in rolls of quarters...

The story behind this tape:

This video was never commercially released. Quiñones had the only copy of it and he gave it to a close friend of mine (along with a ton of other W*ING and IWA JAPAN merch including some Ribera Steakhouse jackets that he later sold for a ton of money on eBay) and he then recorded some copies for us and a friend of mine began trading it on that message board named after a heel Toryumon JAPAN faction...

And no, I never worked for any wrestling organization in Puerto Rico, but I did train for a bit with Abbad. Also, my uncle was a big star in the 80's and I have some friends who knew a ton of the guys down there and one of them was very close to Quiñones.

Spoiler tags as it's a pretty long read.

I'll post more stuff as I remember.

The list is

Spoiler

15) Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H – Intercontinental Championship Match: April 12, 2001

14) Team Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero & Tajiri – WWE Tag Team Championship Match: May 29, 2003

13) Becky Lynch vs. Alexa Bliss - Smackdown Women's Championship Steel Cage Match: Jan 17, 2017

12) Triple H vs. The Rock – WWE Championship Match w/ Shawn Michaels & Shane McMahon as special guest referees: Aug. 26, 1999

11) Kurt Angle vs. Booker T – WCW Championship Match: July 26, 2001

10) Women's Money in the Bank Match - June 27, 2017

9) Eddie Guerrero vs. John Cena – United States Championship Parking Lot Brawl: Sept 11, 2003

8.) Rey Mysterio vs. Matt Hardy – Cruiserweight Championship Match: June 5, 2003

7) John Cena vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - Aug 1, 2017

6) JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero – WWE Championship Steel Cage Match: July 15, 2004

5) Edge & Rey Mysterio vs. Los Guerreros – No. 1 Contender Match for WWE Tag Team Championship: Oct. 24, 2002

4) New Day vs. Bludgeon Brothers - Smackdown Tag Team Championship No DQ - Aug 21, 2018

3) The Shield vs. Randy Orton & Team Hell No: June 14, 2013

2) Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle – WWE Championship Iron Man Match: Sept. 18, 2003

1) Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero – No Disqualification Match: Sept. 26, 2002

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Are both of them fixed? If not, that's a good starting point. If one or both still has his junk they are going to fight non-stop over pussy, even if there is no actual pussy to be had. 

Who knew male cats are so similar to Bro's?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Wow, no "best matches" for a period of 10 years on Smackdown.  Yikes.

I also always feel like this is a product of them trying to "check all the boxes"

Need to make sure we have a women's match

Need to make sure we have something from this year.

Need to have a Rock match

I am a little surprised they didn't cram an Undertaker match on there

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If it hasn't been mentioned before, Batista has stated his willingness to be on Smackdown 1000, but the WWE has not invited him. 

This is what Meltzer said about that a couple of weeks ago

To be honest, the way WWE works, a lot of people in that situation are called late in the game because they don’t plan the shows out until the last few weeks and also the farther ahead of time they invite people, the more likely it is that the news gets out before WWE can release it first

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I also always feel like this is a product of them trying to "check all the boxes"

Need to make sure we have a women's match

Need to make sure we have something from this year.

Need to have a Rock match

I am a little surprised they didn't cram an Undertaker match on there

Agreed. First Undertaker match that comes to mind was against Kurt Angle in September 2003.

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine lives on a farm in the country. She has a long, paved driveway leading to her home. The Township where she lives forced her to name her driveway, and therefore change her address. She ended up naming her new “road” after a family member. 

That got got me thinking.  It’s not every day that you get to name a road. I was thinking what I would choose as my new address if I was in a similar situation. Dusty Road was my first thought, but then I came up with a keeper. I’d love to say that I live on Ravishing Rick Road. 

• Like 3

I haven't watched it, probably since it aired, but is there any love (on this board) for the TLC 3 match they had on SD in May 01? I mostly remember it because the RAW before was the Austin/HHH vs. Jericho/ Benoit tag were HHH blew his quad in San Jose. That tag is remembered for the HHH injury, but the match itself was really good, possibly the best WWE match I went to.