DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think one reason it's generally worked in Chikara is the roster has  generally been on the smaller size. Sara did not look out of place with most of their guys. I dont remember her working against Brodie or Kingston or Hero, let alone Claudio. Admittedly, Daizee was smaller and might have been more of an issue. 

That said, I dont think i would have wanted to see Kingston maul Sara or Daizee the way he did Shane Storm or Tim Donst. 

Actually, before she left Chikara, she faced Kingston for the Grand Championship.  Its was pretty good.

35 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

You mean watching men fight women isn’t the same as a movie portraying men fighting a goddess, an alien powered Air Force commander, and a Russian assassin?

You mean if I watched an undead zombie cowboy wrestle a pirate, it's not the same as a movie portraying men fighting a goddess, an alien powered Air Force commander, and a Russian assassin?

• Haha 2

As usual Im a bit late to the party, but I don't mind intergender stuff. There's a Super Dragon vs. Cheerleader Melissa match from 2003 that's pretty great. Hell, both Melissa and Sara (wrestling as "Nikki" before she evolved into the more well known Del Rey) were wrestling the guys regularly on APW shows. Both are/were regarded as two of the top women wrestlers during their peaks. 

Hoodslam is also pretty regular with the intergender stuff. Brittany Wonder and Shotzi Blackhart are two of the most popular wrestlers on that Hoodslam roster. Look how much Shotzi has broken out in the past year. 

That hardcore clip posted above is pretty gnarly and doesn't do anything for me as a fan, but I'd put more of the blame on how that match was booked and laid out.   

10 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

That hardcore clip posted above is pretty gnarly and doesn't do anything for me as a fan, but I'd put more of the blame on how that match was booked and laid out.   

It's even more uncomfortable when you factor in that Shlak and Maria Manic are dating each other in real life. No idea if this match is from before or after that started.

And they were even once advertised as a tag team on an IWA-MidSouth listing under the team name "Domestic Violence" before Ian Rotten got shamed into pulling back from referring to them with that moniker.

Do you know how much shaming it takes to get frigging Ian Rotten to pull back from a shameless promotional tactic?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

As usual Im a bit late to the party, but I don't mind intergender stuff. There's a Super Dragon vs. Cheerleader Melissa match from 2003 that's pretty great. Hell, both Melissa and Sara (wrestling as "Nikki" before she evolved into the more well known Del Rey) were wrestling the guys regularly on APW shows. Both are/were regarded as two of the top women wrestlers during their peaks. 

Hoodslam is also pretty regular with the intergender stuff. Brittany Wonder and Shotzi Blackhart are two of the most popular wrestlers on that Hoodslam roster. Look how much Shotzi has broken out in the past year. 

I don't mind it either. I just like it to look fairly competitive like the majority of Lucha Underground matches. 

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That's kicking off our Teddy Hart-athon tomorrow. I am so hyped.

If this is a real thing you're doing, you gotta watch the Best Friends episode with him on Highspots. I've brought it up here before but he's so crazy it's riveting. My man Chuck Taylor gives some REALLY great Jim Halpert looks into the camera. Even just watch the trailer on YouTube cause it's bonkers on it's own.

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

It's even more uncomfortable when you factor in that Shlak and Maria Manic are dating each other in real life. No idea if this match is from before or after that started.

And they were even once advertised as a tag team on an IWA-MidSouth listing under the team name "Domestic Violence" before Ian Rotten got shamed into pulling back from referring to them with that moniker.

Do you know how much shaming it takes to get frigging Ian Rotten to pull back from a shameless promotional tactic?

And that is a new all-time low...

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

Considering how fucked up Thurman got due to being forced to do a stunt, then yes.

To be fair, it was a stunt involving a car, and has nothing to do with the actual discussion regarding men and women. (I get what you mean about it affecting your enjoyment of the movie, I just wanted to make sure no one misunderstands the context.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If this is a real thing you're doing, you gotta watch the Best Friends episode with him on Highspots. I've brought it up here before but he's so crazy it's riveting. My man Chuck Taylor gives some REALLY great Jim Halpert looks into the camera. Even just watch the trailer on YouTube cause it's bonkers on it's own.

"I have never been to jail for any kind of drugs." 

"What did you go to jail for?"

"Rape."

• Like 1

If there's a claim of "but...it's different if it's a movie", by the same point then: If you went to a play, and the play involved the woman being slapped by a man, would that somehow be fine? Then, it's exactly the same.

Either way, just the "but it's fine in movies, right?" is the best example of intergender's flaw: Quite frankly, whichever side of the discussion you're on about intergender, you are WRONG, and you are a MONSTER for believing that.

If you are pro-intergender wrestling, you want to see a man beat up a woman. You are a monster who gets thrills by watching domestic violence.  You are evil. 

If you are anti-intergender wrestling, you don't want to see a woman face a man in a staged, choreographed fight scene. By this, you don't want to give women meaty roles in action fare, which is the most lucrative genre of acting right now in box office revenues and money for the star. You are singlehandedly responsible for the wage gap in entertainment, and thus the wage gap, period. You are a monster, and you are no better than that pro-intergender person. You are also evil.

That may be extreme in the viewpoint, but it's just showing the real point. There IS no right side of this debate, there's just two sides that are both intrinsically just WRONG- and all it is is "pick the side you choose to be wrong on."

• Like 2