DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

What about James Ellsworth vs Becky Lynch? I ask cuz I too don't necessarily jive with intergender wrestling. I don't go out of my way to watch it doesn't catch my interest. That beig said I was pretty entertained by the match, I had more issues with creative jamming a month or two of build on television into a weekend on twitter than anything that happened in the match.

I just think it's odd that Eddie Kingston can slap Mia Yim and in a ring and fans chant this is awesome, yet if he slaps her in the street, the result would be different.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know you will try and defend it and call me close minded, etc. by saying it's consensual and it's a work, but it's just not something I like seeing in any environment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Matt Riddle matches I posted against Mia Yim and Deonna Purrazzo make me uncomfortable, as good as they were. Matt Riddle basically worked the same as he would have against another male wrestler. I would feel 99.9% sure that Yim and Purrazzo told him not to take it easy on them, but that doesn't make it any less cringey for me. It's a little too close to real for me. 

I'm a little more comfortable with the Joey Ryan vs. Shayna Baszler match I posted. However, some might say it seems a little date rapey with Joey grabbing her ass, and groping her breasts on a German suplex. I can certainly see that argument. It was actually fun seeing Shayna work something closer to a comedy match, as my only exposure to her has been nxt.

It's always going to be a slippery slope as long promotions put on intergender matches.

23 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I just think it's odd that Eddie Kingston can slap Mia Yim and in a ring and fans chant this is awesome, yet if he slaps her in the street, the result would be different.

Arguably, that would be true if he slapped a guy too. 

(But I am also in the “not for me, Clive” camp on this one.)

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, you guys won't be going to watch Avengers 4, Captain Marvel, or Wonder Woman 84, cool.

That's a terrible comparison.

I mean, I get not caring for intergender wrestling, but, what's the difference between it being done in a ring and done on a TV/Movie screen?  I mean, all things being equal and combat being a matter if skill than size, it's not unheard of.  

Frankly, I don't care if there's an intergender match or if there isn't, if it isn't presented in a mysogonist man crushing woman woman-hating fest.  But I also get amused at pearl clutching whenever someone brings it up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

what's the difference between it being done in a ring and done on a TV/Movie screen?

Do I really need to explain the different between a guy full force hitting a women in the chest and bruising her up and a guy fake hitting a women in a movie that's heavily edited to make it seem like he's hitting her?

Alright, by that logic, since I don't like this:

Then I can't like Kill Bill, right?

Considering how fucked up Thurman got due to being forced to do a stunt, then yes.

Full disclosure: I'd bitch about that spot if it were a straight men's match.  I've grown up since my ECW days and I'm over the people trying to hit each other full force craze.

• Like 2

Point being, the guys in the club scene didn't carry real swords and weren't trying to chop up Thurman for real and it was all heavily edited.

On the other hand you have a guy slamming a bloody women spine first on a chair for real despite the outcome being predetermined.

36 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, you guys won't be going to watch Avengers 4, Captain Marvel, or Wonder Woman 84, cool.

No, because I'm not into comic books and comic book movies.

The Crow, The Punisher, and Spawn are the exceptions for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Spawn is a cool as movie. Doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Eddie you ever watch the HBO cartoon series? Shit is dark bro in a good way.

Back to wrestling 

Yes, I did like the Spawn HBO series.

Teddy was only 22 in that match with Juvi. He looks younger than that. It feels like he's been around forever and hearing his name in WWF developmental way back when.

Teddy's promo from the recent GCW show is like a cokehead just rambling about anything and everything. It's like Nick Gage tossed him an 8-ball and said, "Ok, go talk." I don't think tycoon when I think Nick Gage. When I think of Nick Gage, I think of Lucas from Empire Records, stealing the nightly bank deposit, blowing it in AC in an attempt to save Empire Records from becoming a Music Town chain store.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think one reason it's generally worked in Chikara is the roster has  generally been on the smaller size. Sara did not look out of place with most of their guys. I dont remember her working against Brodie or Kingston or Hero, let alone Claudio. Admittedly, Daizee was smaller and might have been more of an issue. 

That said, I dont think i would have wanted to see Kingston maul Sara or Daizee the way he did Shane Storm or Tim Donst. 

Actually, before she left Chikara, she faced Kingston for the Grand Championship.  Its was pretty good.