DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Dean Ambrose opened up about getting MRSA staph coming out of his first surgery to repair a torn triceps, which delayed his return. He said that he nearly died from the staph infection and was in the hospital for a week plugged up to an IV. He was on antibiotics for months that made him throw up and have diarrhea. He said that he just thought he had a bursa sac of fluid on his elbows that he’s gotten many times in his career that always goes away. This time it didn’t. He that by the time he took time off and got the surgery, his triceps was atrophying and looked weird and he couldn’t even flex his triceps for a longtime. He said something went wrong in the surgery, probably from the infection. He said the second surgery for the staph was in March and his arm shrunk badly and he was scared he’d never get the muscle back. He said at one point he basically moved from Las Vegas to Birmingham and stayed for two-and–a-half to three months doing rehab with the best doctors twice a day. He said he made a lot of progress over the summer and now is feeling good. He said the reason he’s now bigger is he’s concentrated on heavy bench, squats and deadlifts, training like a powerlifter and was able to train with heavier weights because he wasn’t traveling

Somewhere out there a bacterium is getting a tattoo that says "Titty Master Master"

• Haha 5

Sharing this here, not to promote the game per say, but rather share a (very) cool wrestling related story. Anybody familiar with AJ Kirsch? He was on the Tough Enough the first time they revived it with Stone Cold; got nicknamed Tumbleweed, and has continued his wrestling career, mostly transitioning behind the mic to hosting/ ring announcing and commentary. He posted this today. 

Hoo boy, here we go…

For about the last twenty years, you’ve been able to create your own custom wrestler in WWE video games, a feature I took full advantage of when I was an avid gamer. I remember spending hours and hours creating my own custom wrestler, fine-tuning every detail from their appearance to their entrance to their moveset.

In WWE2K19, WWE flagship game dropping on the PS4, Xbox One, and PC early this October, you have the option to create your custom wrestler and take them through MyCareer mode, which chronicles your character’s journey from local independent wrestler to WrestleMania headliner.

That said, here is the big announcement, the news I’ve been waiting to drop for over six months:

Back in March, I landed the voice-over and motion-capture role of your custom-built wrestler in WWE 2K19. Which means, when you create your custom character and play through MyCareer mode, it’s my voice doing the dialogue in the cut scenes. It’s me cutting the promos. It’s my body doing the motion capture.

I am “MyPlayer” in WWE2K19.

So, what’s this got to do with injuring my knee and the subsequent surgery?

About a month before I auditioned for the role, a member of the 2K staff reached out to me to ask if I wanted to come in to their mo-cap studio to bump around so that they could record sound of a wrestler bumping. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity, absolutely elated that I could cross off a lifelong bucket-list item of appearing in a video game. And the fact that it was the WWE’s flagship game made it all that much sweeter.

I came in and bumped around for a few hours working with a former WWE superstar. I’m not going to say who it was because I don’t know if they want me to go public with their involvement with the game, but if you watched WWE in the mid-2000s, you’d recognize them immediately. 

After taking me with two superplexes off the top rope, he offered to take a sit-out powerbomb, our last move before breaking for lunch. After two successful sit-out powerbombs, the audio engineer wanted to get “one more for safety,” as in, one more to make sure they got what they needed. 

The moment his weight came up on my shoulders, I felt a pop in my left knee. I completed the move safely, rolled out of the ring, tried my best to no-sell it, but there was no getting around the fact that I could barely put any weight on my left leg. I left the 2K mo-cap studio for the emergency room physically hurt and absolutely heartbroken. I went from an unprecedented high to a staggering low.

Despite being able to walk around comfortably, an MRI a few days later would reveal that I tore my ACL and my meniscus, strained my MCL and that it would require reconstructive surgery. 

A few weeks later, I got an email from my agent about an audition for a role that I thought was a movie about a wrestler climbing their way through the independent scene on their way to WWE. With my years of independent wrestling experience under my belt and a handful of brushes with WWE in the past, I was hopeful that I could show the powers-that-be that I was the right person for the job.

Usually, after an audition, if the client wants to book me, I hear back in two, three, maybe four days at the most. Two weeks had gone by and I heard nothing. I had entirely written off any involvement in the project. 

No sooner had I given up on hearing back about the project, I get an email from 2K saying “We would like to offer you the role of ‘Buzz’ in [working title]. The producers loved your audition. You probably already know this (I totally didn’t), but [working title] is the MyCareer story mode in WWE2K19.” 

I had to re-read that email three or four times before it actually sank in. Not only was I going to be in a video game, not only was I going to be in the flagship WWE video game, but I was going to be the main character in the MyCareer mode of the WWE’s flagship video game.

What made it even sweeter is that 2K didn’t just hand me the role. It wasn’t like, “Aw, poor A.J. – he injured his knee, so, let’s throw him a bone.” I came in and auditioned for it alongside who-knows-how-many other actors. I landed the role, not because I had worked for them already, but because they appreciated my performance. Hell, I’d be surprised if the producers who saw my audition even knew I was in a few weeks prior recording audio.

I earned it.

So, with a torn ACL and meniscus, I came in and recorded the character’s voice-overs, promos, and motion-capture for every cut scene, of which there are over 200, many featuring top WWE superstars.

If my knee had to go, I’m glad it went the way it did. Thankfully, workers’ compensation covered everything – the surgery, the PT, the follow-up visits. And after all that, I could not have crossed off that “be in a video game” bucket-list item in any more spectacular fashion.

So, how did that land me at Stone Cold Steve Austin's house this past weekend?

I had kept in touch with Steve ever since my appearance on the 2011 season of WWE Tough Enough, which you can check out on the WWE Network. I texted Steve in the days leading up to my surgery asking for his advice on how not to go crazy after getting cut on. He’s had more than his fair share of surgeries over the course of his career, so, I figured he’d be the guy to ask. He ended up calling me the day after my surgery and we talked for about 40 minutes about how to stay active, heal well, and pitfalls to avoid that he, himself, found himself in after some of his more serious operations. To close our conversation, he encouraged me to check in with him every so often to keep him posted on how I’m doing.

A few weeks later, he called me out of the blue and asked if I wanted to be on his podcast, “The Steve Austin Show.” Again, I would jump at the opportunity. 

After several months of staying in touch, with the release of WWE2K19 on the horizon, and since I would be passing through Los Angeles on my way back from a show in Tucson, I asked him if I could use the platform of his podcast to promote the game. He agreed and invited me to 317 Gimmick Street where I met his wife, played with his dogs, and recorded an episode of “The Steve Austin Show” which will drop this Tuesday wherever you get your podcasts, where I will discuss more details surrounding WWE2K19, including a few easter eggs I snuck in as nods to my trainer, my favorite pro wrestling podcast, and, of course, Hoodslam.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the lack of a better place to post this.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact they're no longer called the Authors of Pain yet still have the pen tip on the back of their gear? I noticed they stopped using The Last Chapter for their finisher. 

I'm going to assume shortening their name was a Vince move because we're all too dumb to remember Authors of Pain. Imagine being a new fan and hearing their name is AoP and asking another new fan what AoP stands for? "Umm, I dunno. I think it's just AoP." We've all been fans long enough that we know HHH is short for Hunter Hearst Helmsley, but imagine once again being a new fan and asking what HHH stands for. "Ummm, I dunno. I think it's just HHH". If you don't already know, what would you think HHH would be? Is he going to come tow my car when I'm broken down on the side of the highway?

• Like 2

I'm annoyed that they're just called "AoP" now. I remember them abbreviating Legion of Doom to just LoD, but the announcers would still call them the Legion of Doom.

If I'm a new fan, I'm going to wonder what the fuck an AoP is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I'm annoyed that they're just called "AoP" now. I remember them abbreviating Legion of Doom to just LoD, but the announcers would still call them the Legion of Doom.

If I'm a new fan, I'm going to wonder what the fuck an AoP is.

Exactly my point.

14 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Authors Of Pain was always a really stupid name anyways. It really only made sense in the context of Paul Ellering's gimmick.

Well, their manager is Maverick and they wear similar gear, so I say re-name Akam and Rezar as Iceman and Goose, The Top Guns.

I actually disagree and think Authors of Pain is one of the best names WWE has come up with in a while, so naturally it got shortened.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rick said:

Cena living in China? I knew Nikki was a little overbearing but moving continents might be going a little too far Johnboy.

Seriously though, he looks great. The hair transplant certainly helps.  

Cena took a page from George who suggested disappearing in China to get out of marrying Susan.

John, you got a rug. Good for you, Jack!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, their manager is Maverick and they wear similar gear, so I say re-name Akam and Rezar as Iceman and Goose, The Top Guns.

I actually disagree and think Authors of Pain is one of the best names WWE has come up with in a while, so naturally it got shortened.

Yeah, Authors of Pain was a dope name. Probably one of the best tag team names in recent memory.

THEY WROTE THE BOOK ON PAIN.

PAUL ELLERING WOULD RECITE FROM IT.

AND THEN AKAM AND REZAR WOULD KILL DUDES.

They have a move called the Super Collider. Another finisher was called the Last Chapter.

I don't see anything wrong with any of this, but I do see something wrong when they're just called AoP. This is one of those things about WWE I fucking hate. You want to use pronouns? FUCK OFF! All of you with last names or tag team names though, well you're all losing half of your name or having your name abbreviated*. Why? WHO CARES! Because I have a billion fucking dollars and all of you rubes still pay me, so that's why.

*Except for Undertaker. If we just refer to him as Taker then no one we'll know who we're talking about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The main problem with Vince watching football would be his constant asking where Ernie Ladd was. It'd be like Art Donovan and his fascination with everyone's weight.

To be fair, I'd be asking where Ernie Ladd was too. He was amazing on the mic and a fountain of information and storytelling.

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

but not because he's the only football player you're familiar with

Well no, that's true.

I kinda feel that depending on the time frame Vince would have just relied on JR for that aspect. Remember back when JR would just talk about a wrestler's football career? Usually King would reply with "Who cares?!"

25 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Well no, that's true.

I kinda feel that depending on the time frame Vince would have just relied on JR for that aspect. Remember back when JR would just talk about a wrestler's football career? Usually King would reply with "Who cares?!"

Don't get me started on Jerry Lawler. I really liked JR's work with Jesse Ventura in WCW, where they would both bring up wrestlers college credentials. It helped legitimize the guys as real athletes, that they weren't just actors playing a part.

WWF JR was a whole different story. He started out fine, but then I wouldn't give a shit either if my boss fired me twice and mocked me for having bells palsy.