DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

He started playing his crops his matches and they refused to sprout. 

Seriously, when you

- become the first yokozuna expelled in bad standing from Sumo

- get fired from NJPW for calling Riki Choshu an ethnic slur

- get fired from SWS for being a baby and shooting on John Tenta then calling wrestling fake on the mic

- then get shot on by Takada and KO'd with a headkick,

you might as well be failing at growing taters.

• Like 5

I'm reading the Nitro book, great book but there's an interesting story in it about Sonny Onoo discussing that he had brockered a deal that would have made WCW half owners of the American side of Pride FC but in true WCW fashion everything was down in principal but paperwork was never signed and the deal kind of just went away. This is how close they dealw as to being done, the Pride people flew in to Vegas for Halloween Havoc 98.

Imagine what could have been had WCW bought Pride and ran PPV events from the U.S. Rampage Jackson might have became a full fledged wrestler.

Does that count as a wash? Rampage's run in TNA never materializing, or is that more on Bellator only wanting get involved in wrestling at an arms length? 

Paul Heyman according to lore had a team of investors and was super close to purchasing Strikeforce but Brock couldn't get out of his UFC contract so the didn't want to do it. I don't know how much i believe of that but i did find some articles about it

http://www.fightopinion.com/2010/07/02/paul-heyman-strikeforce/

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/175619-strikeforce-ceo-says-deal-with-paul-heyman-is-likely

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Paul Heyman according to lore had a team of investors and was super close to purchasing Strikeforce but Brock couldn't get out of his UFC contract so the didn't want to do it. I don't know how much i believe of that but i did find some articles about it

http://www.fightopinion.com/2010/07/02/paul-heyman-strikeforce/

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/175619-strikeforce-ceo-says-deal-with-paul-heyman-is-likely

Wait, there were people who were going to give Paul Heyman money? I want names and phone numbers stat!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

A question that popped into my head just now: are there any examples of high-level combat sports athletes (amateur wrestling, judo, MMA, whatever) transitioning to pro wrestling and just completely flaming out?

I don't mean people who dabbled in pro wrestling but didn't stick with it. I mean people who never got any good at it, despite their legit background, or who really made a run at pro wrestling as a career but never took off.

Chris Taylor count?

Couple of injury related things that I think were vaguely touched on recently.

From the new WON

Dean Ambrose

Dean Ambrose opened up about getting MRSA staph coming out of his first surgery to repair a torn triceps, which delayed his return. He said that he nearly died from the staph infection and was in the hospital for a week plugged up to an IV. He was on antibiotics for months that made him throw up and have diarrhea. He said that he just thought he had a bursa sac of fluid on his elbows that he’s gotten many times in his career that always goes away. This time it didn’t. He that by the time he took time off and got the surgery, his triceps was atrophying and looked weird and he couldn’t even flex his triceps for a longtime. He said something went wrong in the surgery, probably from the infection. He said the second surgery for the staph was in March and his arm shrunk badly and he was scared he’d never get the muscle back. He said at one point he basically moved from Las Vegas to Birmingham and stayed for two-and–a-half to three months doing rehab with the best doctors twice a day. He said he made a lot of progress over the summer and now is feeling good. He said the reason he’s now bigger is he’s concentrated on heavy bench, squats and deadlifts, training like a powerlifter and was able to train with heavier weights because he wasn’t traveling

Alexa Bliss

Bliss is suffering from numbness in her left arm. The storyline reason behind it is the armbar Rousey used to beat her at Hell in a Cell. She was also replaced by Moon in her tag team with Strowman for Mixed Match Challenge. Right now the only word is that she is cleared for minimal exertion, so will be able to do some things. Unless things change, she won’t be wrestling this coming weekend but minimal exertion means that it is possible she could manage on shows. I believe she’s been actually pulled though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Not surprised about Alexa. Getting her arm yanked by Ronda in that judo throw, night in and night out on the house shows, probably did some sort of nerve damage. 

Yeah, I'm not surprised even allowing for Alexa Bliss as double-jointed.

Not sure if this is the place for this type of stuff, but it's a great bit from RVD on Stone Cold's podcast. He talks about being trained by the Sheik and Sabu, about being around the Sheik and about All Japan. Really great listen.

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There's no way that John Cena still does his own grocery shopping on the regular. 

I don't know, Cena seems like the type who would be so OCD about what fruit to pick, he probably spends hours finding just the right one.

• Like 2