DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Food for thought when it comes to whether or not Vince has seen TNA...

• He barely watches NXT unless he's actually there, which is only for Takeovers (confirmed by HHH and others)
  • Vince was so unfamiliar with ANYTHING that went on in WCW that he thought the WWE audience wouldn't know who Sting is (rumors and mentioned by Bruce Prichard)
  • AJ Styles wasn't going to be anything more than a mid card guy because, again, Vince doesn't watch NJPW or TNA and AJ Styles was one of the faces of TNA for years (confirmed by AJ Styles)

So I'd say, at best, Vince has maybe watched 30 to 60 minutes total of anything from TNA. It's also not always up to Vince for that shit. That would have been JR's or Ace's or HHH's responsibility. But again, it makes it hard for those people to sell Vince on anything that isn't WWE. If anything, I could see one of those guys managing to distract Vince for all of 5 seconds to show him something on a laptop.

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah for sure but I'm saying I wonder if it would be different if each "division" got an hour

I doubt they would have the discipline to do that. Even on the Attitude Era syndies, they would drone on and on about Stone Cold and The Rock and Raw recaps. 

I always thought they should spend time on Raw promoting Jakked and Metal, building up the low carders? Is there something I am missing here?

12 minutes ago, Victator said:

I doubt they would have the discipline to do that. Even on the Attitude Era syndies, they would drone on and on about Stone Cold and The Rock and Raw recaps. 

I always thought they should spend time on Raw promoting Jakked and Metal, building up the low carders? Is there something I am missing here?

Oh no I agree with you there

PWI is reporting Rey signed a 2 year deal to return to WWE, Madison Rayne signed with ROH and Court Bauer tweeted the Lucha Bros signed an extension throughout 2019 with MLW.

8 minutes ago, Edwin said:

PWI is reporting Rey signed a 2 year deal to return to WWE, Madison Rayne signed with ROH and Court Bauer tweeted the Lucha Bros signed an extension throughout 2019 with MLW.

REPORT: REY MYSTERIO OFFICIALLY SIGNS WWE DEAL

PWInsider's Mike Johnson reported Wednesday that Rey Mysterio has officially signed with WWE and is preparing for his return. 

Johnson said the deal was for two years with Mysterio getting the option to give notice after 18 months. On a recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer had said Mysterio was looking for 18 months but WWE wanted a commitment of up to three years.

This news would confirm what Meltzer has been reporting on this summer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, with Mysterio's signing becoming a formality leading up to him finishing his independent dates. A sticking point was All In which WWE didn't want him to compete at, according to Meltzer. However, Mysterio wanted to work the show and in the end, finished up his commitments.

The 43-year-old has been working regularly with high-profile appearances at All In, New Japan Pro Wrestling, Lucha Underground, and AAA since he left WWE in February 2015.

Mysterio did return to the company in January as a Royal Rumble participant and in April at the Greatest Royal Rumble. He also is a bonus character for the WWE2K19 video game.

A question that popped into my head just now: are there any examples of high-level combat sports athletes (amateur wrestling, judo, MMA, whatever) transitioning to pro wrestling and just completely flaming out?

I don't mean people who dabbled in pro wrestling but didn't stick with it. I mean people who never got any good at it, despite their legit background, or who really made a run at pro wrestling as a career but never took off.

27 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Dan Frye?

I assume you mean Don Frye. I would say Frye did well for himself in wrestling. He debuted in NJPW in '97 and took on Inoki in '98. He feuded with Scott Norton, teamed with Chono in the '99 G1 Tag League. He had two IWGP heavweight title shots, against Mutoh and Kensuke Sasaki. In 2001, he won the G1 World Climax tournament. He returned to New Japan at their 2002 Memorial Day Tokyo Dome show defeating Tadao Yasuda. He teamed with Chono defeating Yugi Nagata and Hiroyoshi Tenzan, then teaming with Scott Norton and Manabu Nakanishi against Shinsuke Nakamura, Yutaka Yoshie, and Blue Wolf. He challenged Toshiaki Kawada for the Triple Crown at All Japan's 31st anniversary show in 2003.

Most importantly, he got his role in Godzilla: Final Wars because the director, Ryuhei Kitamura wrote the part with Frye in mind because he was a fan of his matches.

• Like 3

If you wanted to finger one of the UFC to NJPW guys as a flameout, Don Frye's probably the worst example. The other members of Club 245 lasted for far less time in pro-wrestling. Although obviously Brian Johnston having a severe stroke at such a young age kind of cut his career short.

• Like 1

Frye's NA career didn't amount to much, but he tore the shit out of it in Japan.

I would toss out the name of Dan Severn, whose WWF run was rather underwhelming considering his background. Yeah, he didn't exactly stink the joint up, but we early MMA fans expected a lot more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The answer to this question is Koji Kitao.

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner! I'm pissed that I didn't think of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Frye's NA career didn't amount to much, but he tore the shit out of it in Japan.

I would toss out the name of Dan Severn, whose WWF run was rather underwhelming considering his background. Yeah, he didn't exactly stink the joint up, but we early MMA fans expected a lot more.

Severn's run in WWF might have been a total flame out, but his pro wrestling career predates his WWF run by 5 years, and he's done independent dates for the past 18 years.

• Like 1

No way, Koji Kitao was awesome during the NJPW and WAR rivalry, but then again he had the luck he was riding with Tenryu for most of that, so it was impossible to suck in such a hot angle.

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The answer to this question is Koji Kitao.

He had his Wrestlemania moment along with Tenryu, defeating the sad, dying corpse of Demolition. That was so weird for 10 year old me seeing them come in for a random WM appearance and get the win. Much later, I learned of WWF's working relationship with SWS at the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was the first name I thought of. In fact it was his image in a gi that specifically showed up in my mind. 

No talent, bad attitude, flamed out of Sumo as well. He even had his own Produce and that failed. 

When a man can't even grow a damn potato, you know he's a failure.

• Haha 3