DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, BNosanchuk said:

I got to thinking, if I were a young kid with Halloween approaching, is there any wrestler I'd want to dress up as. Is there anyone THAT over who kids actually want to be? 

I can’t see myself wanting to pick anyone. As far as kids nowadays, I could see a kid wanting to dress up as Demon Balor. Girl-wise, I could see Becky, Bayley or Sasha being an easy costume to make. 

2 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I got to thinking, if I were a young kid with Halloween approaching, is there any wrestler I'd want to dress up as. Is there anyone THAT over who kids actually want to be? 

Gonna put my twisted mind to work and think about how I would scar my child if I had one.

Broken Matt Hardy

Erick Rowan

Marty Scurll

Max Cady Bray Wyatt

Raven

Pentagon, Jr.

Yeah, it's probably for the better if I don't become a father.

All fantastic ideas suggestions. I now need to see a little kid go all out Penta OM this year with the detailed costume, mask+face paint!  

I guess the biggest drawback to all of those is they don't have mainstream recognizability. I remember my mother helping me make my own Bret Hart costume as a kid (pink tank, fabric hart cutouts, etc) but having to explain to EVERYBODY who/what a Bret Hart is/was. With the Cena, Stone Cold, Hogan, Savage costumes even complete non-fans still recognize who the kid is trying to be. It's prob. my adult self-consciousness; kids are resilient. 

While in the store, I hadn't even thought of the females mentioned, but I completely agree that a Sasha, Bayley, Becky seem like easy enough costumes to assemble.  

With a little searching online one can find just about any parts and pieces needed for any costume, or any wrestler for that matter. I suppose my surprise is that in the most mainstream halloween store, there were plenty of super heroes, ninja turtles, transformers, marios to be found, but wrestling (or any specific wrestler) isn't in the crossover mainstream to warrant the interest to stock a halloween costume for. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Gonna put my twisted mind to work and think about how I would scar my child if I had one.

Broken Matt Hardy

Erick Rowan

Marty Scurll

Max Cady Bray Wyatt

Raven

Pentagon, Jr.

Yeah, it's probably for the better if I don't become a father.

https://www.halloweencostumes.com/adult-plague-doctor-costume.html- Cool looking Scurll costume 

• Thanks 1

I'll let you know how much of a fucking nerd I am, I saw Man on the Moon, the Andy Kaufman movie at like age 12 or 13 maybe 12 a week before Halloween and I decided to go as Andy Kaufman the wrestler so I wore a long sleeve thermal shirt long john thermal pants gym shorts over the pants and I had a attitude era championship foam belt I wore around my waist. Nobody knew who i was supposed to be.

Edit: Just to give you some context this would have been 2002 or 2003 so the gimmick was over 20 years old at the point and nobody my age had any clue and I lived in Washington state nowhere near Memphis so it was absurd from the get go but I did it and I don't regret it.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I'll let you know how much of a fucking nerd I am, I saw Man on the Moon, the Andy Kaufman movie at like age 12 or 13 maybe 12 a week before Halloween and I decided to go as Andy Kaufman the wrestler so I wore a long sleeve thermal shirt long john thermal pants gym shorts over the pants and I had a attitude era championship foam belt I wore around my waist. Nobody knew who i was supposed to be.

Edit: Just to give you some context this would have been 2002 or 2003 so the gimmick was over 20 years old at the point and nobody my age had any clue and I lived in Washington state nowhere near Memphis so it was absurd from the get go but I did it and I don't regret it.

Good Halloween costumes are like good jokes. Not everyone has to get it, but the ones who do will love it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I feel like Hulk Hogan costumes would be a hot item on Purge Night.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Log said:

Good Halloween costumes are like good jokes. Not everyone has to get it, but the ones who do will love it. 

I am proud of that costume. I cost me know money, It was more of a nod to Jim Carrey at the time than Kaufman cuz since I was a kid i've been a huge fan of his work and I was blown away by that Andy movie and I started to dig into Andy Kaufman after that movie. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

But the be first European born World Champion of WWF-days part could still be right. 

andretitle.jpg

Also, first Canadian WWF champion is Ivan Koloff (Stasiak is also Canadian), and first Asian WWF champion is either Inoki (if you count that title change) or Iron Sheik.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I feel so weird for immediately remembering the fact that Kane was actually born in Spain. And probably the first European-born WWF World Champion. 

On an Air Force base, though. Doesn't that technically void out the European born part?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

On an Air Force base, though. Doesn't that technically void out the European born part?

No - per the State Department "U.S. military bases overseas are not considered U.S. soil for the purposes of citizenship"

Under U.S. law, a child born overseas to at least one U.S. citizen who has spent at least five years of their life physically living in the U.S. (and at least two of those years being after they were 14-years-old) is a U.S. citizen as long as her parents apply for (and receive) a consular report of birth abroad for that child.

6 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I can’t see myself wanting to pick anyone. As far as kids nowadays, I could see a kid wanting to dress up as Demon Balor. Girl-wise, I could see Becky, Bayley or Sasha being an easy costume to make. 

What kid wouldn't want to be Dash Wilder?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I guess the biggest drawback to all of those is they don't have mainstream recognizability. I remember my mother helping me make my own Bret Hart costume as a kid (pink tank, fabric hart cutouts, etc) but having to explain to EVERYBODY who/what a Bret Hart is/was. With the Cena, Stone Cold, Hogan, Savage costumes even complete non-fans still recognize who the kid is trying to be. It's prob. my adult self-consciousness; kids are resilient. 

when i was a kid (mid '90s maybe?) i went as Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. you know, the ultra popular video game that was all over the news at the time? i got tired of explaining who/what Scorpion and Mortal Kombat were, so i just started saying "i'm a ninja".  mainstream recognizability is subjective.

Just read on reddit Kenny Omega fought in MMA and his Wiki confirms it happened after he finished his developmental deal. He was 6-2 as a pro and 3-0 as an amateur according to the UG. His 2 loses as a pro were to Dan Severn and Travis Fulton.