DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's excellent in the ring. But he's still not really a main event kind of guy.

I think there was a time where they thought he was though.  I remember him having the big heel push and then when he turned face they started doing a lot of that overcome the odds,  do terrible jokey promos they give all the top babyfaces. Plus, he was doing a ton of press. Somewhere along the way they realized he's not the guy.  

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think there was a time where they thought he was though.  I remember him having the big heel push and then when he turned face they started doing a lot of that overcome the odds,  do terrible jokey promos they give all the top babyfaces. Plus, he was doing a ton of press. Somewhere along the way they realized he's not the guy.  

I wonder if he became too injury prone in their eyes to be a top top guy. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The one thing about Sheamus and Bryan is that I don't recall any interaction between the two around that time.  So if the plan was Bryan vs. Sheamus then it must have been just a "we have nothing for these guys"  type match.  Definitely not something that were going to do any real build for. 

Sheamus' heel turn in 2014 started when he came back from injury and attacked Bryan and Ziggler. This was maybe a month before WrestleMania 30.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One thing I don't understand about the handling of Daniel Bryan.  It was clear that they liked him to some degree or else I don't think he would have won the MITB briefcase and went on to win the world title even if it was the secondary show.  But that's fine,  lots of dudes have been given that opportunity in the brand split era,  Jack Swagger, etc.  

The thing I don't understand is why they had him go over Cena clean at SummerSlam?  That's usually a spot reserved for someone who they are going to give a big push.  So I think that's why some feel like Bryan was always getting that WM XXX push even though it's clear he wasn't...   It's just weird to me why they had him go over Cena clean.  What purpose was that going to serve?  

That one we know the answer to: the buyrate for SummerSlam came in lower than the year before* and Vince decided then that Bryan's popularity didn't translate to drawing actual money. And that's when he decided not to stick with him as a top guy. That's according to Triple H and Stephanie in that big interview they did a few years ago.

*The ironic thing is that SummerSlam 2012 did a HUGE buyrate on the strength of Lesnar/Triple H, and the 2013 show actually did a nearly identical number of buys as 2011, iirc it was literally the only show in 2013 that wasn't dramatically down from 2011. Lesnar just skewed the numbers. And by 2013 they'd killed off Brock as a draw.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The thing I don't understand is why they had him go over Cena clean at SummerSlam?  That's usually a spot reserved for someone who they are going to give a big push.  So I think that's why some feel like Bryan was always getting that WM XXX push even though it's clear he wasn't...   It's just weird to me why they had him go over Cena clean.  What purpose was that going to serve?  

Like Fowler mentioned the lower buy rates killed Bryan's push. The reason some are sure he was going to be given a big WM push is because post-Summerslam is usually when the big match build to WM started and Bryan was the focus then. Its obvious they were building to something for him until Vince changed his mind. After that his WM main event chances were definitely dead until Punk's departure and the push back from the audience became too much to ignore. He was kept important, but I can totally see them thinking a match with Sheamus was still a big enough match.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One thing I don't understand about the handling of Daniel Bryan.  It was clear that they liked him to some degree or else I don't think he would have won the MITB briefcase and went on to win the world title even if it was the secondary show.  But that's fine,  lots of dudes have been given that opportunity in the brand split era,  Jack Swagger, etc.  

To put heat on Orton, and make the HHH heel turn work. 

50 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Neutral Guy Eddie might work in NXT, but they’ll just screw it up on the main roster.

They'll cut his balls off by re-debuting him as Neutered Guy Eddie.

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

From the new WON

As far as Lio Rush managing Lashley, the anti-manager sentiment Vince McMahon has had for a long time seems to have dissipated with the success of Paul Heyman. Right now they are back thinking along the lines of managers, which is where Drake Maverick’s move also fit in, and there are talks of bringing in managers from the indies for future roles aside from people already under contract

So cue up the rumors that Stokely Hathaway has signed with WWE again

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Neutral Guy Eddie might work in NXT, but they’ll just screw it up on the main roster.

For some reason, this made me think of No Way Jose. Is he injured? Or just the next person Drake Maverick sees untapped potential in?

I think I saw No Way Jose during one of recent pull apart brawls between The Shield and Braun McZiggler.

Not to be that guy, but seeing Cody winning the NWA title at All In reminds of Dusty talking about Meltzer not booking a territory because he knows he'd book himself as the top guy and make himself the champ...