DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Casey said:

You act like Action Bronson commentating a wrestling show while stoned out of his mind wouldn't be something Viceland would put on their station.

Well, they've already come kinda close. Action Bronson, RVD, and Sabu stoned out of their minds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just think its ridiculous to assume that a record being broken is clearly because this person has pissed off the company. Its not like the shit will somehow humble the person, especially when they are gone. There is no reason to leave it on a person who isn't coming back to your company instead of someone who is there now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I just think its ridiculous to assume that a record being broken is clearly because this person has pissed off the company. Its not like the shit will somehow humble the person, especially when they are gone. There is no reason to leave it on a person who isn't coming back to your company instead of someone who is there now.

You clearly underestimate the pettiness of the WWE.

• Like 2

I don't think it's too piss Punk off cuz I really don't think he cares, if he gave a fuck about wrestling or his wrestling legacy he'd have been at ALL IN even if just being shown in the crowd. I think it's more of the machine down playing his legacy and bumping his reign down the list as a way of seeing you either play by our rules or you don't play at all. 

Also Aj's reign lasting until Mania or close to it would be super cool cuz of the long road it took for AJ to get to the big dance and at 40 he's still at the top of his game if not the best he's ever been. 

I still think that “you’re going to wrestle...SHEAMUS...on the preshow unless [condition/obstacle]!” should have become an annual gimmick storyline to threaten a babyface, eventually leading to Sheamus growing resentful at being used as a preshow punishment wasting 3-4 years of his career, and then snapping with a big face turn.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I still think that “you’re going to wrestle...SHEAMUS...on the preshow unless [condition/obstacle]!” should have become an annual gimmick storyline to threaten a babyface, eventually leading to Sheamus growing resentful at being used as a preshow punishment wasting 3-4 years of his career, and then snapping with a big face turn.

Right, Being Hunters workout buddy hasn't worked out well for him

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Also Aj's reign lasting until Mania or close to it would be super cool cuz of the long road it took for AJ to get to the big dance and at 40 he's still at the top of his game if not the best he's ever been. 

AJ was better in 2017 than he is in 2018. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sheamus is, what, a five time world champion? Four? Something insane for a guy who has never felt like more than a good midcard talent.

He's a really, really good worker, though. He deserved those title reigns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sheamus is, what, a five time world champion? Four? Something insane for a guy who has never felt like more than a good midcard talent.

I'm pretty neutral on Sheamus. Yes, he's solid in the ring, but nothing he does makes me want to go out of my way to re-watch it. The reason for his consistent pushes? Vince is living vicariously through Sheamus and sees himself as some kind of celtic warrior.

30 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

AJ was better in 2017 than he is in 2018. 

He's a really, really good worker, though. He deserved those title reigns.

Your right thats crazy, but even Roman Reigns in all actuality hasn't been WWE/Universal champ as long as it might sesm well so far atleast.

I can’t remember what thread it was in but then I realized that it applies to every thread since it always comes up...

It appears that the reason Sasha and Bayley vanished again is because Bayley is dealing with an injury (at least based on Bayley’s own social media posts)

I like Sheamus a lot, but I'll agree that he's always felt like an upper midcard guy who should occasionally be brushing up against the main event. His list of accolades is pretty wild. I hope he's healthy enough that we get to enjoy his work for many more years. 

Speaking of occasionally brushing up against the main event, The Bar has had a great run but I'd love to see Sheamus back in the mix with SmackDown's singles stars (except Randy Orton... please god not again...). 

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Any word on why Nia Jax has been a ghost since MITB?

Granted I'd love to say that "Be a Star" promo that the audience shit on killed her, but then we've got the fans cheering "heel" Becky every week.

I'm guessing "creative has nothing for her."  And the other jobbers are already losing to Rousey/Bella/Flair/Lynch/Bayley/Banks.  And they don't want her jobbing.  And after the bullshit with Asuka, would you WANT Nia doing something similar?

38 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

And after the bullshit with Asuka, would you WANT Nia doing something similar?

I'm rather neutral on Nia, so I wouldn't care nearly as much as Asuka being so badly botched on the main roster. I didn't see anything anywhere about her being injured, so I was just wondering why she suddenly vanished. It certainly wouldn't be a stretch to imagine WWE pushing the plus-size Nia aside for some of the returning divas from the Johnny Ace swimsuit model era.

One thing I don't understand about the handling of Daniel Bryan.  It was clear that they liked him to some degree or else I don't think he would have won the MITB briefcase and went on to win the world title even if it was the secondary show.  But that's fine,  lots of dudes have been given that opportunity in the brand split era,  Jack Swagger, etc.  

The thing I don't understand is why they had him go over Cena clean at SummerSlam?  That's usually a spot reserved for someone who they are going to give a big push.  So I think that's why some feel like Bryan was always getting that WM XXX push even though it's clear he wasn't...   It's just weird to me why they had him go over Cena clean.  What purpose was that going to serve?  

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't care if the wrestlers involved or the owner of the company tells me the facts, I'm still going to believe the facts in my head!

The one thing about Sheamus and Bryan is that I don't recall any interaction between the two around that time.  So if the plan was Bryan vs. Sheamus then it must have been just a "we have nothing for these guys"  type match.  Definitely not something that were going to do any real build for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's excellent in the ring. But he's still not really a main event kind of guy.

I think there was a time where they thought he was though.  I remember him having the big heel push and then when he turned face they started doing a lot of that overcome the odds,  do terrible jokey promos they give all the top babyfaces. Plus, he was doing a ton of press. Somewhere along the way they realized he's not the guy.