DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah I know all that. I have no qualms with how Bryan's initial retirement was handled, as far as everyone knew he was done. It's the following period of Bryan's relentless quest to get cleared. Countless doctors clearing Bryan months, hell, years before Vince left it until he heard whispers that Bryan may actually run down his contract and wrestle for a rival company. Of course he was cleared in the end, and with rigorous conditions that Bryan do concussion protocol every single time he wrestles, which is ridiculous. It's shows caution, sure. But if you're cleared you're cleared. I don't think Vince trusts Bryan. Bryan's retirement was a blessing in disguise for Vince. He finally got rid of the nuisance. I do think there's some truth to the brass caving and giving Bryan the mania main event and coronation to spite Punk, too. But hey call me paranoid, lol. 

46 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah I know all that. I have no qualms with how Bryan's initial retirement was handled, as far as everyone knew he was done. It's the following period of Bryan's relentless quest to get cleared. Countless doctors clearing Bryan months, hell, years before Vince left it until he heard whispers that Bryan may actually run down his contract and wrestle for a rival company. Of course he was cleared in the end, and with rigorous conditions that Bryan do concussion protocol every single time he wrestles, which is ridiculous. It's shows caution, sure. But if you're cleared you're cleared. I don't think Vince trusts Bryan. Bryan's retirement was a blessing in disguise for Vince. He finally got rid of the nuisance. I do think there's some truth to the brass caving and giving Bryan the mania main event and coronation to spite Punk, too. But hey call me paranoid, lol. 

You are absolutely paranoid. The "whispers" were Bryan saying all along that he'd run out his contract and keep wrestling. Maybe Vince doesn't trust Bryan because he lied about having concussion-related seizures. Vince left a shitload of money on the table to avoid putting someone who was in imminent danger in his ring. The idea that Vince changed the main event of the biggest show if the year to spite CM Punk is laughably delusional. 

• Like 2

I don't think they put Bryan in the main event to spite Punk, it's just how their hand was forced.

Now, Brock's title reign and AJ's title reign that will likely surpass Punk's was and is being done to spite Punk. I don't think there's much to doubt about that. It's the same shit they did with AJ Lee. And again, this is the type of shit that only matters to Vince and it's really dumb so of course it's probably likely.

There was also Bryan's insistence of using homeopathic treatments rather than surgery to fix his damaged elbow which extended his recovery.  His refusal to fix a ruptured ear drum from a match in ROH.

I get the picture that there was more behind the scenes stuff between Bryan and the WWE when it comes to medical.  A lot of what Bryan did for himself that gave the WWE pause.

I believe for the arm, Cena went down with a knee injury (?), got surgery, and came back before Bryan.  

I had a dream last night I had created and was executive producing a GLOW-esque show on the murky rise of ECW. Paul Heyman was the main character (duh) working out of an upstairs terraced house in Lancashire (because I live in the uk and it was dream logic). He was played by Paul Giamatti who was playing him as the ultimate sleazy promoter/shuckster/mover and shaker. He was as great as you’d expect.

Anywho, I’m off to sell the idea to Netflix in the most Get Shorty manner possible.

• Like 2

You're amazing not far off, although I think Paul was operating out of his parents basement in Brooklyn.

And now I can't get Giamatti doing Heyman's sthick in the mid 90's out of my head.

• Like 1

Netflix already has Glow.

You gotta go to Hulu or Amazon.

Now I'm imagining each service having a series about a different wrestling promotion. Except in the case of Amazon, it's about WWE, but it's similar to the Man in the High Castle where WCW won because elder Bischoff is tape trading across dimensions to see what WWE was doing to know how to beat them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

He was played by Paul Giamatti who was playing him as the ultimate sleazy promoter/shuckster/mover and shaker. He was as great as you’d expect.

So, you mean every role Giamatti has had in a musical biopic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh my goodness. A Paul Heyman biopic starring Paul Giamatti where some of the final scenes are Giamatti doing the whole, "THE RRRREIGNING, DEFENDING, BEAST INCARNATE, BrrrrrrrrrrrrrOCK...LEEEESSSSNAAAAR!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Yeah the same company that fired Punk on his wedding day wouldn't take great satisfaction in pushing one of his best friends into the spot Punk was politicking for. 

I never got the sense Punk and Bryan were super close. Fans always linked them based on where they came from, but they never struck me as buddies. Just peers and coworkers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh my goodness. A Paul Heyman biopic starring Paul Giamatti where some of the final scenes are Giamatti doing the whole, "THE RRRREIGNING, DEFENDING, BEAST INCARNATE, BrrrrrrrrrrrrrOCK...LEEEESSSSNAAAAR!

Naaah, I wouldn’t let it get that far. The logical end for the show would be the first PPV as a testament to all the deals and ducking diving Giamatti pulled off to get it that far, and then as the crowd cheers and the first wrestlers go out to kick off the show we fade to a graphic like on the last episode of Quantum Leap that just says “Paul Heyman never paid his wrestlers...”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

18 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

A gritty Hoodslam type promotion I think would do well on Viceland. I'm surprised no one has tried to get a wrestling program on Viceland yet.

Well "wrestling" is pretty far down the dictionary.  They're working their way through shows featuring "noun + weed."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

A gritty Hoodslam type promotion I think would do well on Viceland. I'm surprised no one has tried to get a wrestling program on Viceland yet.

It seems like they really like to dabble in it, but only as documentaries. For example, the CZW documentary.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Well "wrestling" is pretty far down the dictionary.  They're working their way through shows featuring "noun + weed."

You act like Action Bronson commentating a wrestling show while stoned out of his mind wouldn't be something Viceland would put on their station.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Now, Brock's title reign and AJ's title reign that will likely surpass Punk's was and is being done to spite Punk. I don't think there's much to doubt about that. It's the same shit they did with AJ Lee. And again, this is the type of shit that only matters to Vince and it's really dumb so of course it's probably likely.

Why the fuck does this always have to be out of spite? Is there any good reason to keep a record on someone you aren't currently promoting who also hates you and your company?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick said:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/pro-wrestling/daniel-bryan-wwe-superstar-thought-neck-injury-might-end-his-career-1.9811542

https://fansided.com/2015/01/18/daniel-bryan-confirms-original-wrestlemania-30-opponent-supposed-sheamus/

Bryan himself confirmed it. 

and if you're speculating Vince was the true mastermind behind the Yes movement and Bryan was 'fabing everybody, where was that kind of genius foresight for the past 4 years booking his golden child Roman?

Vince was pressured beyond comprehension into pushing Bryan. That's the true story. And if you want to play conspiracy, I truly believe Vince prematurely forced Bryan into retirement, and only kept him retired until he threatened to leave and wrestle elsewhere. But that's another story. 

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I can't believe this has to be explained again. Every year I think that this subject has been settled, but someone always wants to believe that there's no way they were going to do Sheamus vs Bryan, there's no way they didn't think the YES! movement would have been that big, there's no way Bryan wasn't going to be involved in the WM 30 main event, etc. 

Again, in both cases, these are entirely different arguments.

I'm not saying that Vince McMahon masterminded the YES Movement and the plan was always "Daniel Bryan in the main event"- that is simply not the case.

I'm saying...just watch the shows from January up to the Royal Rumble (where everything went haywire for WWE's plans). As of January 2014, it was OBVIOUS that Daniel Bryan was going to fight Kane at Wrestlemania. Kane was Daniel Bryan's first feud as champion, which adds to the "this is what was going to be his Mania feud, so we'll do it now that we've ended that storyline as his post-Mania feud."  

Even with the "Vince told him it'd be Sheamus"- again. We know that one of Vince's favorite pranks to play on a worker-slash-ways to keep the worker humble is to pretend he's giving him something small, only to spring the "you're getting the World Title" thing on him later. Even if Daniel Bryan said he did- again, Bryan seems like the type of person who would take Vince at face value when he said something (so he would assume "oh, I'm fighting Sheamus. Okay..." as normal), and reporting "it'll be Sheamus/Bryan" would make fans furious, so the dirt sheets would report it.

If it comes up year after year, I could say it here: I don't care if Daniel Bryan says it. I don't care if Sheamus says it. I don't care if Vince McMahon says it. I don't care WHO says it. There is nothing in this world or any other that can convince me that Daniel Bryan vs. Kane wasn't the original plan for Wrestlemania and Daniel Bryan/Sheamus was just a red herring match.