DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I got a google alert on my phone about Renee taking over for Coachman. I still can't figure out how the program decides I want to know. 

I am happy Coach is gone, but I could do without WWE congratulating themselves, for taking nearly twenty five years to have a female announcer on Raw. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I still literally can't even wrap my head around that opinion. Booker was fun. Coach is the worst.

A hockey analogy: Booker is like listening to Butch Goring, Rob Ray or Chico Resch in that they would say stuff that is so wacky and bizarre that it's perversely entertaining. Coach is like listening to Jack Edwards, Pierre or Milbury in that they are just clueless morons who say stuff that is just stupid and makes you groan.

16 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Huh, they finally let Renee in the booth on a main show. Might actually have to watch Raw this week.

Different topic, but thinking about the mediocre wrestler thread, I was wondering what was the best non-gimmick tag match the Dudleys had?

Off the top of my head, I remember their first "retirement match" against the Motor City Machine Guns at TNA Turning Point 2010 being pretty great.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Both were in the so bad its funny territory due to Graves being ruthless with both. I'm not sure who is worse. Coach seemed to take two backs back every step forward while Booker would just have no idea what the fuck he was talking about sometimes.

But that also ties to another big difference between Renee and Coach/Booker as well: For better or worse, it seems like Graves treats Renee with kid gloves on commentary.

With the male commentators, Graves just teed off on them relentlessly like a heel commentator, but with Renee it just feels like Graves is walking on eggshells when he's commentating with her and is trying hard not to go too far as the heel commentator.

It's a little weirder, because Renee just has just enough comic timing where you know that she'd be able to match wits with Graves pretty well on commentary, and then that'd help them REALLY click well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But that also ties to another big difference between Renee and Coach/Booker as well: For better or worse, it seems like Graves treats Renee with kid gloves on commentary.

With the male commentators, Graves just teed off on them relentlessly like a heel commentator, but with Renee it just feels like Graves is walking on eggshells when he's commentating with her and is trying hard not to go too far as the heel commentator.

It's a little weirder, because Renee just has just enough comic timing where you know that she'd be able to match wits with Graves pretty well on commentary, and then that'd help them REALLY click well.

I'm trying to recall, didn't Renee call some NXT shows with Corey? If so that would likely explain it. They are also riends, but then again so are Corey and Booker.

• Like 1

Renee called NXT before Corey had retired from in-ring competition.

From the shows I have seen, they do treat her with kid gloves. She hasn't said anything moronic like Coach does, but she has made comments that are not overly helpful, and instead of teeing off on her, they let it slide.

I would much rather have her out there than Coach, but the dynamic of the booth right now is a little off because the "heel" commentator refuses to say anything negative about her opinions.

• Like 1

Jonathan Coachman: "This might be an advantage for Ronda Rousey. It's allowing Ronda Rousey to get a little bit of a rest." as Nia Jax had Ronda Rousey in a bear hug at WWE Money in the Bank 2018.

Fucking hell.

Even Michael Cole and Corey Graves called Coach out on that.

Coach sucks.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dewar said:

Renee called NXT before Corey had retired from in-ring competition.

From the shows I have seen, they do treat her with kid gloves. She hasn't said anything moronic like Coach does, but she has made comments that are not overly helpful, and instead of teeing off on her, they let it slide.

I would much rather have her out there than Coach, but the dynamic of the booth right now is a little off because the "heel" commentator refuses to say anything negative about her opinions.

That's very likely because Graves and Steph are intelligent people and know that if Graves comes at Renee like he does most others, there's a whole legion of people waiting to do their part and Twitter Mob Graves out of existence and tear down WWE's Corporate Narrative of being the Shining City on the Hill for all things Women in Sports Entertainment.  That might relax over time, but you can be assured they're going to tread carefully for a while, especially while the MYC is going on and Evolution happening next month.

• Like 1

This is why the SmackDown 3 man booth is the best. All three of those guys have worked together for such a long time and they're all comfortable with each other. The only way I find Byron tolerable is when he's paired with Corey and Tom.

I always thought the biggest difference between Cole/Graves/Booker And Cole/Graves/Coach is that, even when ripping on Booker, the former sounded like they liked hanging out together and all enjoyed what they were doing while the latter sounded like two guys that got saddled with the third and didn’t want him there and Coach really only knew Lesnar, Reigns, Cena and Rousey and the older guys, clearly hadn’t kept up on the product while he was away and kind of felt like even when he was there, he wasn’t really enjoying it and, as such, Graves and Cole really weren’t interested in making Coach look good or help him when he was floundering.  Renee, they seem to like and are trying to help out and make her succeed.  

In Mauro Ranallo’s documentary, Michael Cole, in talking about Mauro, says that one thing you can’t fake is enthusiasm. And I really thought that that was the biggest problem with Coach: he wasn’t really enthusiastic about what he was doing, it came across on the commentary and it came across in how Cole and Graves interacted with him.  Renee is rather innocuous right now but I’ll take innocuous over the often hostile tone commentary took on between Cole/Graves and Coach. 

I can't imagine that that would be written out like that roughly 7 weeks before the show

It looks almost exactly like someone took a previous leaked imagined, put the Evolution logo in it and then made a combo of known matches with random shit.

Like that Women's Tag Title stuff looks like absolute horseshit