DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

For starters the Death of WCW panel shouldn't have happened without Alvarez.  I liked the book and attribute a ton of what worked to Bryan.  Without him on the panel (when asked about doing it he pretty much "Fuck no!") it just isn't worth doing.

The only panel I was kind of interested in seeing was the Botchamania panel but I'm not paying a pass just to watch it.  And Conrad was on Colt's podcast stating it expanded to way bigger than he was expecting.  He admitted he was definitely way in over his head and while Colt reassured him that it was great Conrad was focusing on how to make things right.  But unless he gets help it sounds like a one-and-done situation for him.

The Botchamania panel wasn't that good. It was just Funchess, Mafew, and a couple others bullshitting around. Funchess was funny though, as I usually think he is.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Botchamania panel wasn't that good. It was just Funchess, Mafew, and a couple others bullshitting around. Funchess was funny though, as I usually think he is.

I liked Funches since seeing him on @Midnight, so if he makes it somewhat worth watching then I might track that down.

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

But the Snuka/Muraco cage match was in October 1983; well before Hogan was even signed...

Remember it’s Piper talking so take it with a grain of salt. 

They never planned for Snuka to win the IC Belt since he was so over he didn’t need it and Muraco was drawing great houses as heel IC champ. I grew up in Pittsburgh and Muraco did a six month run in 83 with Rocky Johnson then Superfly that drew near sell-outs while Backlund was either in tags or hooked up with the likes of George Steele. The run with Johnson ended with Rocky drop kicking Muraco out of the cage then coming back in and busting open the Magnificent One to keep his heat. 

Snuka was cooling off for the kids my age in the fall of 83, even though he was still a heel we were cheering for Sgt. Slaughter way more than Superfly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Also---there's sufficient evidence that Snuka was a dangerous loon which I'm sure Vince knew all too well.

That too! Even if Snuka didn’t have all of those issues he wasn’t going to be the #1 face in either the regional or national versions of the WWF. He was perfect for the Jay Stongbow/Ivan Putski slot of #2 face who goes over the champs former challenger strong and gets his own feuds from time to time. 

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Also---there's sufficient evidence that Snuka was a dangerous loon which I'm sure Vince knew all too well.

What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and watch Vince talking to the cops for Snuka; painting him as an innocent primate who is frightened and confused by things in the modern world. 

For all we know, Jimmy Snuka could have been the inspiration for Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I can't see what Kofi did wrong in that gif.

He didn't pop back up and kick Orton's asshole in.

Fuck Randy Orton.

Edited by nate
Planned to delete a double post, but nah, "fuck Randy Orton" is worth doubling down on.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, nate said:

He didn't pop back up and kick Orton's asshole in.

Fuck Randy Orton.

Edited 59 minutes ago by nate 
Planned to delete a double post, but nah, "fuck Randy Orton" is worth doubling down on.

You always double down on "fuck Randy Orton" and 11.

Btw, the old lady is John Favreau's grandmother, Joan Favreau.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was thinking about Kofi Kingston earlier when he was "Jamaican" what ended up happening again?  I can't remember. He was very popular with the kids and he seemed to be on his way to super stardom.  He had this feud with Randy Orton where he fucked up Orton's car or whatever that angle was.  What happened after that? Did they have a match? Why did Kofi end up in random tag teams for the rest of his life?  He was almost out the door too before New Day caught on.  

the amazing MSG attack led into Survivor Series (Team Kofi v Team Orton), where the pop for Kofi winning was HUGE, that was a perfect 1-2 punch of eliminations to win it, felt star making for sure. After that, they traded screwy wins on RAW leading up to TLC, where Orton just beat him clean straight up. They had another match on RAW that Orton won again, THEN they had the three way linked above. I believe the story at the time of the finish was, Ted knocking Kofi off the corner was supposed to set up Orton to punt Kofi, but Kofi started to get up so Orton shoved him back down then Kofi was getting up again so Orton got pissed and went RKO instead. I don't know if that's what ended things since Orton was already beating him in back to back matches before that and he was still somewhat in the mix like being in the Chamber match, but it's a shame it didn't go further. After that he was  in MITB at Mania, sent to Smackdown and back to the IC title. Awesome feud/matches with McIntyre and then began the endless series of matches with Ziggler for the next several years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Funches was the only one worthwhile. I don't usually watch this kind of stuff but Maffew seemed off his game and even admitted as much. He had flight problems and was told very close to the event that he couldn't show any WCW/WWF footage, so that certainly played a part but still... Thank goodness for Funches. 

The Windham rotunda sounds like that one part of the overpriced metropolitan hotel where brides get their wedding pictures taken before their first marriage (to the guy who happens to not be their baby's father, but he's been in their lives since they were two so he's practically raised them).

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Death of WCW panel was just the cringiest thing though. Reynolds comes off so bad with literally every joke falling totally flat. He really, really, really needed Alvarez there with him. Every time that Eric asked exactly how did WCW die, it was cancelled and sold, and blah blah blah, all you had to say or ask was, "Well, do you honestly think that would have happened if you were still pulling 5s and 6s in the ratings?" Any one of us here could have easily pointed this out and pointed out the reason the ratings tanked was because of completely shit booking like running the nWo into the ground, the finish of Sting vs Hogan, burying Flair, letting the boys run the show which meant other talent was completely misused, angles that went nowhere like WHO'S IN THE LIMO?!?!, and on and on. All of this shit happened BEFORE Russo came in. Then you can point out everything that happened after Russo came in. Eric himself wasn't directly responsible for killing the promotion, but he sure as hell didn't help. You can back all of this up by referencing literally any interview from Jericho, Nash, Hall, Goldberg, etc. These guys all talked about how chaotic it was backstage where you never knew who was running the show, whereas with WWE it's Vince and that's the leader. 

Just tell me that at some point Stephanie was referred to as "Nipple H."

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 9:13 PM, Ziggy said:

Im watching clips of Piper shoot interviews and he claims that Snuka's loss to Morocco was a political hit to put Hogan over him. It also seems like he might've saw David Schultz as a threat to him being to top heel,

Piper said the same thing on Austin's podcast a few years ago and his storytelling was so incredibly wrong, it's hard to take anything he says seriously.

As someone else pointed out, Hogan wasn't even in WWF when the match happened.  According to Piper, Snuka beat the shit out of Muraco, climbed to the top of the cage, hit the splash...and Muraco kicked out!!!  And that killed Snuka especially since Muraco eventually won.

When in reality, Muraco beat the shit out of Snuka, Snuka bled all over the place, made the comeback, then headbutted Muraco so hard, Muraco flew over to the door and escaped.  Snuka dragged him back in, killed him, THEN hit the top of the cage splash and all but left him for dead as the crowd lost their shit.  That's literally THE Jimmy Snuka moment in WWF.  That match is easy to find.  Never understood why guys make up details about things you can find on YouTube within seconds.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Piper said the same thing on Austin's podcast a few years ago and his storytelling was so incredibly wrong, it's hard to take anything he says seriously.

As someone else pointed out, Hogan wasn't even in WWF when the match happened.  According to Piper, Snuka beat the shit out of Muraco, climbed to the top of the cage, hit the splash...and Muraco kicked out!!!  And that killed Snuka especially since Muraco eventually won.

When in reality, Muraco beat the shit out of Snuka, Snuka bled all over the place, made the comeback, then headbutted Muraco so hard, Muraco flew over to the door and escaped.  Snuka dragged him back in, killed him, THEN hit the top of the cage splash and all but left him for dead as the crowd lost their shit.  That's literally THE Jimmy Snuka moment in WWF.  That match is easy to find.  Never understood why guys make up details about things you can find on YouTube within seconds.

That's true but these guys were probably coked out of their minds so the details have to be a little foggy I'd imagine. 

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and watch Vince talking to the cops for Snuka; painting him as an innocent primate who is frightened and confused by things in the modern world. 

For all we know, Jimmy Snuka could have been the inspiration for Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

That is a story I never believed. It sounded like the cops trying to pass the buck on botching the investigation. 

Though Snuka was so drugged out, maybe they believed it. God knows he was hard to understand sober.

46 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's true but these guys were probably coked out of their minds so the details have to be a little foggy I'd imagine. 

Piper wasn't even there yet, he was still in the NWA working Valentine at Starrcade, which makes his firsthand account even more ridiculous.  And again, the match exists on video.  Which he clearly had never seen. At least when Hogan bullshits about WMIII, he at least says things that the show can sorta back up.  If you can accept that Hulk Hogan weighed 500 lbs that day.

They gave Wade a lot of chances and he would get hurt every time. 

I think I turned on Wade after the segment where he was in a booth above the ring and was insulting Brodus Clay during a match with Miz and I wondered. Why would he not beat Wade up later and nothing came of it. That is not fair to Wade, that is just what I associated with him.