DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I know this came up awhile back (or maybe in the SDL to Fox thread) but

The New Year's Eve RAW will be taped on Friday, Dec 28 per the Little Ceasar Arena in Detroit where it is being held

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
12 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

As if WrestleCrap is still going. What a toxic smarky website/forum that was back in the early 00s

I only watched one thing from Starrcast last weekend, and it was that guy who ran WrestleCrap on a Death of WCW panel with Eric Bischoff acting like he was tremendously clever to utter silence from the handful of people in attendance.

4 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I only watched one thing from Starrcast last weekend, and it was that guy who ran WrestleCrap on a Death of WCW panel with Eric Bischoff acting like he was tremendously clever to utter silence from the handful of people in attendance.

You ever read his website from back in the day? Yikes. He is his own biggest fan.

I was thinking about Kofi Kingston earlier when he was "Jamaican" what ended up happening again?  I can't remember. He was very popular with the kids and he seemed to be on his way to super stardom.  He had this feud with Randy Orton where he fucked up Orton's car or whatever that angle was.  What happened after that? Did they have a match? Why did Kofi end up in random tag teams for the rest of his life?  He was almost out the door too before New Day caught on.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

You ever read his website from back in the day? Yikes. He is his own biggest fan.

Everyone gives/gave Scott Keith shit for this (rightly so IMO) but RD Reynolds always escaped scorn for some reason. Maybe because his website was pure parody back in the day rather than what Keith aspired to

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was thinking about Kofi Kingston earlier when he was "Jamaican" what ended up happening again?  I can't remember. He was very popular with the kids and he seemed to be on his way to super stardom.  He had this feud with Randy Orton where he fucked up Orton's car or whatever that angle was.  What happened after that? Did they have a match? Why did Kofi end up in random tag teams for the rest of his life?  He was almost out the door too before New Day caught on.  

He fucked something up in a match with Orton iirc, and that was about the end of it.

The beatdown in msg was awesome though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

RD and Blade just went over the whole weekend in the latest episode of Wrestlcrap Radio.

Basically, Eric sandbagged him the whole time. Apparently his biggest complaint was over the fact that (he thought) Meltzer had written the Death of WCW book.

(RD) "Why are you mad at Dave Meltzer?"
(Eric) "Because he wrote the book!"
(RD)".....No he didn't? Why did you think that?"
(Eric) "His name is on the cover!"
(RD) "No it isn't!"
(Eric) "Oh!"

RD asked him to be honest and answer if he's ever even read the book, and Eric said "No, and I never will."

Drunken Kevin Sullivan was hillarious though, they played a few clips of him telling stories.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He fucked something up in a match with Orton iirc, and that was about the end of it.

The beatdown in msg was awesome though.

vb171A.gif

• Sad 1

On 9/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, Ziggy said:

I'm watching clips of Piper shoot interviews and he claims that Snuka's loss to Morocco was a political hit to put Hogan over him.

But the Snuka/Muraco cage match was in October 1983; well before Hogan was even signed...

I'm glad I didn't pay to watch any of the Starrcast stuff. Of what I saw and what I heard about, it didn't sound like it was worth it. The Bischoff/Prichard stuff was the stuff they've already done 3 or 4 times now. It was only interesting to see that Eric is indeed more full of shit than Bruce, which is an impressive feat.

The Death of WCW panel was just the cringiest thing though. Reynolds comes off so bad with literally every joke falling totally flat. He really, really, really needed Alvarez there with him. Every time that Eric asked exactly how did WCW die, it was cancelled and sold, and blah blah blah, all you had to say or ask was, "Well, do you honestly think that would have happened if you were still pulling 5s and 6s in the ratings?" Any one of us here could have easily pointed this out and pointed out the reason the ratings tanked was because of completely shit booking like running the nWo into the ground, the finish of Sting vs Hogan, burying Flair, letting the boys run the show which meant other talent was completely misused, angles that went nowhere like WHO'S IN THE LIMO?!?!, and on and on. All of this shit happened BEFORE Russo came in. Then you can point out everything that happened after Russo came in. Eric himself wasn't directly responsible for killing the promotion, but he sure as hell didn't help. You can back all of this up by referencing literally any interview from Jericho, Nash, Hall, Goldberg, etc. These guys all talked about how chaotic it was backstage where you never knew who was running the show, whereas with WWE it's Vince and that's the leader. 

This shit should have been easy and Reynolds is up there like a fucking dumbass getting skewered while he tries to get his shit in to...near silence. He was so ill prepared to debate Eric and came off worse for it. If you're not going to come prepared and you can't even defend yourself with the simplest of points, instead resorting to incredibly nebulous talking points, then why even agree to the panel? I bought that Death of WCW book years ago when it was first released. It was a decent read and that panel just made me embarrassed to have bought it.

Everything else I read about it didn't sound like it was worth it, like the roast of Bruce. Sounded like typical roast fare where the comedians, the ones who know what they're doing, came off well, while anyone else fell flat. I also read about how unorganized the whole event was where they were heavily relying on volunteers who didn't really know what was going on to the point where people who bought the gold or platinum bracelets felt like they wasted their money because friends there with them without a bracelet or others with lower bracelets were getting into stuff at the same time as them.

At the same time, I think conventions like that are important and it's Conrad's first time doing it. If anything, I hope it happens again, but if Conrad does it then I hope he partners with someone else or a group of folks who are more experienced at running such an event.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I can't see what Kofi did wrong in that gif.

I did like Jericho's story of drunken Vince straight up asking Kofi when he was going to get over.

You and me both. I wasn't really watching much during this time, but this gif always looks like Orton being a complete asshole. I honestly can't see what Kofi did wrong.

Jericho's advice to Kofi to go and fist fight Vince was the best. Hell, he should have told him to fight Orton after that shit.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I also read about how unorganized the whole event was where they were heavily relying on volunteers who didn't really know what was going on to the point where people who bought the gold or platinum bracelets felt like they wasted their money because friends there with them without a bracelet or others with lower bracelets were getting into stuff at the same time as them.

At the same time, I think conventions like that are important and it's Conrad's first time doing it. If anything, I hope it happens again, but if Conrad does it then I hope he partners with someone else or a group of folks who are more experienced at running such an event.

For starters the Death of WCW panel shouldn't have happened without Alvarez.  I liked the book and attribute a ton of what worked to Bryan.  Without him on the panel (when asked about doing it he pretty much "Fuck no!") it just isn't worth doing.

The only panel I was kind of interested in seeing was the Botchamania panel but I'm not paying a pass just to watch it.  And Conrad was on Colt's podcast stating it expanded to way bigger than he was expecting.  He admitted he was definitely way in over his head and while Colt reassured him that it was great Conrad was focusing on how to make things right.  But unless he gets help it sounds like a one-and-done situation for him.