DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I also think there needs to be a minimum number of members for a faction/stable/whatever.  Three people is not a faction.

I think that number is fine, but I don't really want to debate that. What I do want to bring up or at least ask is why is it that most WWE factions top out at 3 dudes? In nearly every other promotion, NXT included, you see factions with 4+ members, but WWE looks like they like to cap that at 3. Evolution seems like the last time there was a real four person group. The Wyatt Family (ignoring the short period of time Braun was with them), the Shield, the New Day, main roster Sanity, Legacy, and hell, even the newer version of Evolution had just 3 members. 

Im watching clips of Piper shoot interviews and he claims that Snuka's loss to Morocco was a political hit to put Hogan over him. It also seems like he might've saw David Schultz as a threat to him being to top heel, which is a shame if thats the case. They couldve done more with Dr D but he claims Hulk didnt want to business with him. I'm so fascinated with Pre and Post Wrestlemania I era WWF it seems like it was very competitive as far as guys wanting to keep their spots or get the top spot of which ever side of Face or Heel you were on. Probably was most competitive the New York territory ever was or will ever be Honestly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

WWE is always terrible with lists and revisionist history.  But this is the worst I've seen.  Holy shit is this terrible :lol: 

One of HHH's interns.  Note how he puts himself on the list twice (DX and Evolution) with his guys (shield) at the top and a current NXT faction at number 10.  Is Punk in the Nexus photo?

I'll +1 the idea that a stable are guys that are managed by the same manager, but have no interaction beyond that (Heenan Family would team up at Survivor Series, and maybe the Patera beatdown, but beyond that, minimal, and you could probably argue Jimmy Hart's guys were probably a better example of this), whilst a faction are guys that actively team together, accompany each other to ringside, promo together etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'll +1 the idea that a stable are guys that are managed by the same manager, but have no interaction beyond that (Heenan Family would team up at Survivor Series, and maybe the Patera beatdown, but beyond that, minimal, and you could probably argue Jimmy Hart's guys were probably a better example of this), whilst a faction are guys that actively team together, accompany each other to ringside, promo together etc.

Yeah, that'd basically be similar for it.

The big question isn't "do they have a manager?" or "do they have common ground", but rather:

"Pick any two people in the group, no matter how different they are.

If they were booked in a tag team match against someone, would you instantly buy them as a TAG TEAM , or would you see them as just two people thrown together?"

If you'd buy them as a tag team, then it's a faction. If they'd still be two people thrown together, it's a stable. 

...of course, that opens up the question "What needs to be in place before you consider two wrestlers a true tag team?", but that's besides the point. 

• Like 2

To me, if I had to draw a distinction, it's "is this group about the guys, or the manager?"

The Four Horsemen is clearly, just by name, about the wrestlers not JJ.

The Heenan Family is all about Bobby Heenan.

I do think you have to call the Heenan Family a faction because from memory it did go beyond Survivor Series.  I mean during the whole King Kong Bundy feud wasn't the Family teaming up in random tags and didn't Bundy sneak attack Hogan on a SNME?  Plus,  I believe they were teaming against Andre and attacking him in the mid 80s before Andre eventually joined the family.  Also,  I was very young at the time but I remember Andre and Rude teaming in various scenarios. And there were backstage celebrations too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Im watching clips of Piper shoot interviews and he claims that Snuka's loss to Morocco was a political hit to put Hogan over him. It also seems like he might've saw David Schultz as a threat to him being to top heel, which is a shame if thats the case. They couldve done more with Dr D but he claims Hulk didnt want to business with him. I'm so fascinated with Pre and Post Wrestlemania I era WWF it seems like it was very competitive as far as guys wanting to keep their spots or get the top spot of which ever side of Face or Heel you were on. Probably was most competitive the New York territory ever was or will ever be Honestly.

That's strange, I always heard Hogan and Schultz were tight from their Memphis and AWA days

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

That's strange, I always heard Hogan and Schultz were tight from their Memphis and AWA days

The latest episode of Wrestlecrap Radio has Schultz on there. Among some of the (many) hilarious stories he clearly explains his distaste for Hogan. However the man he seems to hate the most overall is Vince.