DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think The Dangerous Alliance and Heenan Family might be considered "stables" not "factions"

It's Vince. Can't use the word "stable" because stables are for horses and are full of shit. You have to use the term "faction."

Meaning it's all the same so the DA missing is definitely egregious. I also never saw the Heenan Family as a stable or faction because it just seemed like it included damn near everybody and they would just put people in the family and remove them as they saw fit.

• Like 2

Just now, Craig H said:

It's Vince. Can't use the word "stable" because stables are for horses and are full of shit. You have to use the term "faction."

On one of the old roundtables, somebody made a really strong distinction between stables and factions. Might've been Flair.

• Like 1

I would have been fine with Horsemen #1 and Shield #2, maybe even #3.

TUE, as much as I love them, shouldn't be on this list because they've been limited to just the NXT.

The Hart Foundation behind the New Day is pretty dumb too. The Attitude Era Hart Foundation was one of the best damn groups ever. You can re-watch old Raws and PPVs and hear how hated they are drawing insane amounts of heat and then they go to Canada for Canadian Stampede and they're cheered like crazy. So awesome.

For the groups missing, I feel like the DA, Triple Threat (ECW), Nation of Domination, and maybe even Raven's Nest/Flock should be in over TUE, Freebirds, Nexus, and the New Day. Only reason why I'd disqualify the New Day and Freebirds is that I always saw or see each as tag teams and not "factions" otherwise fucking Demolition deserves a spot on this list. Nexus got buried so hard and fast that they don't belong. And again, TUE just isn't there yet even though they're the most dominant faction ever in NXT.

Could the Dungeon of Doom be considered a faction since they had the shared hatred of Hogan and all dabbled in some ill-defined esoteric form of devil worship? I mention them because if a comedy faction like New Day is number five, those wackaloons should've easily cracked the top ten. Hogan getting dry humped into a stupor by the Yet-Tay! is one of the most overlooked iconic moments in the history of our sport. I see why New Day is in and not Demolition since the latter team's three man line-up didn't even last six months before Ax retired. Over the damn Freebirds though? I guess the kids nowadays appreciate pancake socials more than Hatfield & McCoy style blood feuds. I also considered that the Heenan Family was more of a long term dynasty like a sports franchise, or talent agency even, with the rotating members and the only constant being Heenan. I threw them out there anyways. 

• Like 1

Just now, Technico Support said:

Wouldn't a "stable" be a collection of wrestlers under a common manager, while a "faction" would be a group without a manager?  I know the NWO having a sort-of manager in Bischoff muddies the waters a bit. 

I like the way this guy thinks

• Like 4

I'd say that the Heenan Family was a stable and not a faction, it wasn't a group of guys who got together cause they liked each other they were Heenan's guys he kept in the same barn, maybe they worked together maybe not. 

The Horsemen should be #1 everytime one of these lists are made though. They are the standard bearers for what they are and they lasted longer than any others. I get why the Shield is #1 right now and all but there is really no true justification for it other than they are greater as a group than apart. Nexus and TUE have no right being on the list. Evolution could be higher just because I don't think there has been a group that you can look at the members and have more world title reigns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

On one of the old roundtables, somebody made a really strong distinction between stables and factions. Might've been Flair.

For once - Fowler isn't crazy

Not sure if the time stamp worked but basically Foley and Flair disagreed over the meaning when talking about Devastation Incorporation

But for those that watched this - Flair was clearly bitter shooting the whole thing

Also - at least at one point - WWE still uses the terms interchangeably

https://www.wwe.com/inside/40-most-dominant-factions-of-all-time-photos#fid-27258892

That photo collection has a two sentence intro

"40 most dominant factions of all time: photos
From the classy Four Horsemen to the diabolical Ministry of Darkness, these 40 stables ruled sports-entertainment."

So everyone revert back to it being a shitty list

Revising it...a stable just fits a more narrow "pure sports" definition of a group.  Like Bobby Heenan was the kayfabe manager of these guys.  he was their representation.  They were Heenan's stable.  To stick with the 80s and make it apples to apples, the Horesmen weren't a stable even though they had a manager.  Nobody saw them as "JJ Dillon's crew." 

To recap:

A group of guys without a real common cause who just have the same representation?  Stable

A gang with a cause like "let's watch each other's backs and make sure we all succeed?"  Faction, gang, whatever.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Bischoff was just some hanger on who only joined after they maimed the prick. His corporate ties really helped further their cause while also being subservient and star struck enough to SHOUT! OUT the shitstains from their underwear. Good help if you can get it. 

The NWO also had DiBiase before Bischoff.

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Revising it...a stable just fits a more narrow "pure sports" definition of a group.  Like Bobby Heenan was the kayfabe manager of these guys.  he was their representation.  They were Heenan's stable.  To stick with the 80s and make it apples to apples, the Horesmen weren't a stable even though they had a manager.  Nobody saw them as "JJ Dillon's crew." 

To recap:

A group of guys without a real common cause who just have the same representation?  Stable

A gang with a cause like "let's watch each other's backs and make sure we all succeed?"  Faction, gang, whatever.

Given that explanation, the Dangerous Alliance is definitely a faction.