DVDVR Message Board

Heels That Are Incapable Of Being Babyfaces

On 9/16/2018 at 2:26 PM, Brian Fowler said:

We had that video here a few months ago of Nazi vs Confederate in smw and I couldn't figure out why they weren't partners.

and jobbing to New Jack & Mustafa

• Like 2

Every Week.

[and yes going down the Jim Cornette youtube hole has led me to an account that seems to have every weekly hour of SMW TV and I have seen Scott Armstrong as masked babyface "Dixie Dynamite" and, oof.]

This thread makes me want to see generic heel gimmicks like "evil foreigner/evil racist/evil ninja/evil executioner" come up with the necessary character scope to turn face.

"HEY GUYS, I STILL HATE JEWS, BUT USA! USA! USA!"
" I MIGHT HAVE THROWN SALT IN THIS GUYS' EYES, BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE CONTENTS OF HIS HARD DRIVE"

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

The Confederate Flag made more than 1 appearance in every territory and WCW I’m pretty sure. I have a soft spot for such old timey heel stuff but the truth is it was your mama is fat level heat way before it disappeared for good.

The Bushwackers go back pretty far even by wrestling standards where it feels like everybody wrestled since 1980. Trying to bring back the Sheephearders would have probably been a bigger misfire than times we’ve seen Jake Roberts, the Iron Shiek etc come back.

This was a good idea for a topic. Tons of guys from eras gone by could have never been a face then. Now there is nothing they can do to get booed though. Abdullah the Butcher still makes cameos in Puerto Rico and gets cheered. 

7 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

The Confederate Flag made more than 1 appearance in every territory and WCW I’m pretty sure. I have a soft spot for such old timey heel stuff but the truth is it was your mama is fat level heat way before it disappeared for good.

Huh? Almost all of the people I can remember that brandished that flag were babyfaces, not heels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Huh? Almost all of the people I can remember that brandished that flag were babyfaces, not heels.

The Freebirds said hi. Three words: Confederate. Color. Guard.

I said "almost" because they were the only heels that came to mind. But IIRC they were portrayed as heels for the most part because they acted like traditional heels, not because they were working a cheap-heat racist gimmick. I feel like there are far more examples of southern babyfaces using the flag - even Vince tried it with Dick Slater. 

The Freebirds Flag paint was as synonymous with them as Sting’s neon, Road Warriors black combos etc. That pic of them with Buddy Roberts chomping his teeth is probably my favorite picture in wrestling history. Meanwhile Flag face stuff was as cheap as Jim Duggan and his flag tbh.

Edited by BloodyChamp

On 6/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, BloodyChamp said:

The Confederate Flag made more than 1 appearance in every territory and WCW I’m pretty sure. I have a soft spot for such old timey heel stuff but the truth is it was your mama is fat level heat way before it disappeared for good.. 

Using that logic you must've backed Roscoe & Boss Hogg in their pursuit of The Duke Boys. 

On 6/19/2019 at 2:26 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

Using that logic you must've backed Roscoe & Boss Hogg in their pursuit of The Duke Boys. 

I mean, if its Coy & Vance Duke sure!

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Were Killer Tim Brooks or Buck Robley ever babyfaces? Maybe early in their careers I guess.

British wrestling tended to have very few turns. Jim Breaks and Fit Finlay were only ever heels as far as I know. Giant Haystacks and Kendo Nagasaki too although they feuded in the early 90s and I think Haystacks was the nominal babyface in that he generally had the crowds support. Nagasaki was cheered out of nostalgia most of the time in the 90s on.

11 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

There was the Ric Flair protege one and then this one. What was the third?

Initially they had Miz as a face before putting him with Morrison, but it really didn't take

James

22 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Were Killer Tim Brooks or Buck Robley ever babyfaces? Maybe early in their careers I guess...

Robley had a really good match in Mid-South working babyface against OMG.

Not sure if that was an isolated incident, I only saw it on the Watts set, but he seemed to have the crowd behind him.

Here's a thought, can anyone really get behind the idea of Mr. Pogo as a face? I mean, c'mon, he's carving people up with a scythe for fucksake...