DVDVR Message Board

Heels That Are Incapable Of Being Babyfaces

An argument could be made that The Bushwackers were incapable of being heels, whilst the SheepHerders were incapable of being faces. Only that would make no sense.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You have DiBiase holding it over Bad News' head that he needs the money because his family is dirt poor. It could play out very similarly to the DiBiase/Virgil angle. 

The thing is, Bad News would not give a shit if his family is dirt poor. His character hated the world. 

Anybody remember the Bushwhackers in ECW? I wanted to throttle Styles and Heyman for not acknowledging their past as the Sheepherders. That is some shit the WWF would do. After 1996 Joey Styles was awful. He was a miserable fuck who shit on everything. 

As for the question asked at the start of this thread. The answer is Roman Reigns. With more evidence provided every day.

• Like 2

We don't know that Bad News didn't care if his family was dirt poor. Nothing about Bad News was really ever addressed beyond he's a loner that doesn't like anybody. That may have been a mask for his deep-seated issues.

I was also disappointed the Bushwhackers past as the violent, bloodthirsty Sheephearders wasn't brought up in ECW. If there was ever a WWF gimmick to shit on, it was the Bushwhackers.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Correction: if there was ever a WWF gimmick for ECW to shit on, it was specifically that. The Sheepherders were so proto-ECW it's ridiculous that they didn't go back to their bloodletting ways (they didn't, right? I never saw 'em in ECW).

They showed up as Luke & Butch Dudley. I really don't remember much except for being surprised they didn't revert back to the Sheephearder ways, as it would have been a natural fit for ECW.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:46 AM, Player One said:

I kinda wanted the WWE to turn the Bushwhackers heel and run an angle where they reverted by into their Sheepherder characters and revealed they were just pretending to be simpletons.

The end-game for Eugene should have always been him pretending to be challenged. How much more heelish could you be than pretending to be mentally challenged, so your competition doesn't see you as any type of threat?

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The end-game for Eugene should have always been him pretending to be challenged. How much more heelish could you be than pretending to be mentally challenged, so your competition doesn't see you as any type of threat?

Problem is that is the kinda thing you can't come back from. It would also be a bad position for WWE to be in with how much work they do with Make A Wish and Special Olympics. 

Which is why they should not have done it to start with. If they needed a way out, they could do what they did with Festus. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wasn't the whole point of going to WWF and doing the Bushwhacker gimmick because they were beat up and didn't want to do the bloody violent stuff anymore?

Cue @Matt D arguing that their WWF run was good.

The Bushwacker run was good.

At making merchandise sales and cashing dollar dollar bills.

• Like 2

It is strange how the most awesome workers are kind men out of the ring and hated heels when they are in the squared circle.  

I have never heard anyone saying a disparaging word about either Wes Hutchings or Johnny Evans, but their alter egos, The Love Brothers, comprised one of the most hated teams in Pro Wrestling history.  They would've never been accepted as a face team.

The Love Brothers were despised so much that one fan tried to sneak a loaded pistol into a venue to use in case they cheated their way to another successful NWA International Tag Team title defense.

18 hours ago, Dewar said:

They tried turning Bad News babyface in Stampede. Didn't really work. His best work was talking shit about Stu Hart, his brat kids and how they were holding him and the rest of the heels down.

Then there was the horrible face turn of Archie "The Mongolian Stomper" Gouldie who feuded with Bad News after Allen turned on Gouldie's son during a tag match.

Normally, a father getting back into the ring to avenge his son would make for a great babyface angle, but then Gouldie fucked things up during a promo and referred to Bad News as "boy" and I was like, "Man, I hope Bad News cripples this asshole in that Strap Match."

Someone really should've given Archie a scripted promo rather than let him freestyle that shit.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bad News is another guy who probably would've been a face just by existing in the late 90's. Bad Ass Loners seemed quite lovable

The 90's were weird.  Feds could get away with a lot of shit like having baby faces come out wearing Confederate regalia. 

Harlem Heat is working heel in this match...

BUT NOT TO ME~!

On 9/15/2018 at 3:06 AM, J.T. said:

It is strange how the most awesome workers are kind men out of the ring and hated heels when they are in the squared circle.  

I have never heard anyone saying a disparaging word about either Wes Hutchings or Johnny Evans, but their alter egos, The Love Brothers, comprised one of the most hated teams in Pro Wrestling history.  They would've never been accepted as a face team.

The Love Brothers were despised so much that one fan tried to sneak a loaded pistol into a venue to use in case they cheated their way to another successful NWA International Tag Team title defense.

Johnny Valentine called to prove the exception to your statement. I don't think that the word "kind" and Johnny Valentine can be used in the same sentence unless it is in the context of saying "Johnny Valentine was the kind of man who would rip off your head and dance down your tonsils just for the sake of doing so."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dewar said:

They tried turning Bad News babyface in Stampede. Didn't really work. His best work was talking shit about Stu Hart, his brat kids and how they were holding him and the rest of the heels down.

Thing is he wasn't exactly wrong...

• Like 3