DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Full Saxton - 8/28/2018

Dolfan in NYC

If everyone cheered for Becky like this in the first place, she never would have needed to be turned heel.

The biggest sin Charlotte has committed was beating her friend in a match without cheating.

• Like 3

I don't even think it's Becky in particular, although she was a good person for this because she's been beaten down a lot and never snapped...it's like having Sting and Flair working together and hug and then have Sting just beat the shit out of Flair out of nowhere and how 0% chance the crowd would see that as a heel turn.

But really the crowd just wants to see a babyface who doesn't joke and talk and scheme and prank and who doesn't get outsmarted and distracted by stupid shit, but who just beats the fuck out of people. They probably would have accepted Roman if that's what he did. Dean. Paige. Asuka. So many people could have played that role over the last few years.

It could work really well because as much as I love Charlotte as a wrestler, she can't compete with Becky in terms of quick-witted one liners putting someone in their place. Charlotte is always going to fall back on sympathy and work ethic to try and be the good guy and sound very scripted, meanwhile Becky is going to cut her down with occasional quick remarks that feel improvised, backed up by ass-whoopings.

I'm kind of super into this now.

• Like 3

It’s also the most recent example that, for all the “kayfabe is dead” doomsaying, people are still incredibly willing to believe. (In this case, that Becky “deserves it.”) Maybe the gap between acceptable fiction and reality is narrower than it used to be, but people have wanted stories and characters that evoke aspects of real life forever, and wrestling especially has always lived in that liminal space. Anyway, it’s not like there have been any “this is Rebecca Quin” moments. Everything in-ring, backstage, and even on twitter has worked without cracking the frame.

At this point I really hope there’s no drastic course correction coming. It isn’t working at all; it’s working perfectly. Whether they meant to doesn’t matter.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

183_SD_08282018cm_1698--2a459e2bcefbdeef

185_SD_08282018mm_1982--ab98b35ad3684097

What is the deal with Becky's shoes?  I have no idea what she is wearing or why her shoes have some sort of tassels on them.  Are those supposed to be wings?  Feathers?  When I watched the show, I kept wondering if that was some sort of brand shoe I am unfamiliar with or a custom shoe or what.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Player One said:

What is the deal with Becky's shoes?  I have no idea what she is wearing or why her shoes have some sort of tassels on them.  Are those supposed to be wings?  Feathers?  When I watched the show, I kept wondering if that was some sort of brand shoe I am unfamiliar with or a custom shoe or what.

They look like evil versions of Kofi’s shoes.

kjufmksctiwn6ajj7lt3.jpg