DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell X - 9/16/2018

ChesterCopperpot

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Well, do you think the people fantasy booking Miz-Brian to extend to Wrestlemania are thinking Miz should win in the end?

It's not the people fantasy booking that concerns me. It's the people actually booking. At every turn Bryan has been booked to be outsmarted by Miz. Why do I want to watch the superior wrestler repeatedly coming up short against an opponent he should beat fairly easily?

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

You guys sorta nailed the problem in a nutshell. Brie is at best decent, on a roster that includes women like Asuka, Charlotte, Becky, Sasha, etc. "decent" is pretty weak. Marsye is not "decent" by any stretch of the imagination, she is a small step away from embarrassingly bad, she  needs someone a lot more talented than Brie to cover her many flaws, (the biggest being that she seemingly has forgotten all the fundamentals).

This is pretty much what I was insinuating before with the barely passable during the diva era comment. I actually like Maryse, but she was never more than passable in the ring despite having a lot of the character stuff down so well. I mean we complain about Alexa sometimes, but Maryse was never half as good as her. I remember Brie getting praised when she started doing Bryan's moves and a nice second rope dropkick, but she has just never had the athleticism to really keep up. She was a step below the other women even then. She is so much more behind now with so many indy talents and great athletes having been brought in. And that is on top of the lacking fundamentals you mentioned that has been brought upon by ring rust.

• Like 2

I think I strike a middle ground between the two camps on this Miz-Bryan issue: I'm enjoying the feud immensely, but I don't think there's enough steam here to justify stretching things out until WrestleMania. Especially if the destination is Bryan predictably picking off Miz and getting his fairy tale ending. I have no interest in seeing things mapped out that cleanly and I don't think that's the best way to heat Bryan up to where he needs to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I think I strike a middle ground between the two camps on this Miz-Bryan issue: I'm enjoying the feud immensely, but I don't think there's enough steam here to justify stretching things out until WrestleMania. Especially if the destination is Bryan predictably picking off Miz and getting his fairy tale ending. I have no interest in seeing things mapped out that cleanly and I don't think that's the best way to heat Bryan up to where he needs to be.

The way that's done is Miz sniping the title off AJ. Probably at Survivor Series or Rumble '19.  Miz just barely winning the rematch, then having Bryan win the Rumble itself (or win the title shot at the next ppv).  

But yeah, it's getting a little dicey right now, especially with Bryan having lost twice in a row.  

• Like 1

I understand that's the most likely way they'd get the story there. But the fact that so many people have it mapped out so early suggests to me it's not the way to go. And then there's the fact that some people are already tired of the story. 

I'd pivot and have Bryan take the belt off Miz at the Rumble, then have AJ win the Rumble. AJ vs Bryan at Mania would be less predictable, more appealing to the hardcore fans who'd travel for the event, and a great bookend for Bryan's return year which kicked into gear with a match against AJ on the post-Mania SmackDown. 

But that's just my two cent fantasy booking. 

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Heel Orton is right there, ready to get back in the mix and ruin all of your fun. 

44 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Really odd for people to ask who comes out of being booked against the Miz looking better, when he was essentially the one that put Daniel Bryan on the map in the first place in the WWE.

He even managed to make Sandow, Dolph Ziggler and Alex Riley interesting for crying outloud.

How did those feuds work for Sandow and Alex Riley? Dolph was pretty much in the same spot before and after his Miz feud.

Bryan's initial feud with Miz should have been the only one. Bryan wins the US title and moves on while Miz basically stays in the same spot. Going back to the Miz feud does nothing for Bryan, especially with WWE's insistence on Bryan looking like a fool everytime.

Regarding Sandow and Riley and Dolph, I don't hold Miz accountable for the shortcomings of certain talents or creative's general unwillingness to follow through on something or strike while the iron is hot. When Miz is at bat, he handles his business. He can't control who the manager has behind him in the lineup.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't have faith in WWE that will happen.

That's... not entirely unreasonable, given WWE's booking. But it still seems odd to shit on a classic build based on the assumption we're not going to get the payoff. I mean, yeah, there's a very real chance they'll fuck things up, and I'll be right there with you complaining if they do. Seems premature to complain now, though.

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

That's... not entirely unreasonable, given WWE's booking. But it still seems odd to shit on a classic build based on the assumption we're not going to get the payoff. I mean, yeah, there's a very real chance they'll fuck things up, and I'll be right there with you complaining if they do. Seems premature to complain now, though.

This is a very reasonable stance, and I would applaud it were it any other company, As it is, I hear the voice of a crazy old man screaming, "He's too small and he has a funny beard, where's Bob Holly?"

• Like 2

I have an unpopular opinion, but here goes anyway:

At its most successful points throughout the past 56 years, the WWE has not been a "chase the heel" promotion; it's a "this babyface champion destroys everyone without fail until the audience tires of him, and then he loses to a heel who then promptly loses the belt to another babyface that destroys everyone" promotion.

One Bryan "long quest/struggle" 5 years ago was fine - otherwise, a substantial portion of the audience just wants to come and watch the crazy bearded guy kick and knee people into oblivion without fail and steamroll over the heel roster until they're tired of it, the same way they wanted to see Hogan hit the leg drop, Austin hit the stunner, and Rock drop the elbow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I have an unpopular opinion, but here goes anyway:

At its most successful points throughout the past 56 years, the WWE has not been a "chase the heel" promotion; it's a "this babyface champion destroys everyone without fail until the audience tires of him, and then he loses to a heel who then promptly loses the belt to another babyface that destroys everyone" promotion.

One Bryan "long quest/struggle" 5 years ago was fine - otherwise, a substantial portion of the audience just wants to come and watch the crazy bearded guy kick and knee people into oblivion without fail and steamroll over the heel roster until they're tired of it, the same way they wanted to see Hogan hit the leg drop, Austin hit the stunner, and Rock drop the elbow.

Another reason NWA > WWF. ;)

Meltzer ratings:

New Day vs. Rusev & English: 3.25

Hardy vs. Orton: 3.75

Flair vs. Lynch: 3.75

Rollins & Ambrose vs. Ziggler & McIntyre: 4.5

Joe vs. Styles: 4

Bryan & Bella vs. Miz & Maryse: 3.25

Bliss vs. Rousey: 3.25

Reigns vs. Strowman: 3.25

• Thanks 1

I also don't think you can stretch out a Bryan/Miz feud to WM, but things can at least be put on hold while each does something else in the meanwhile. Maybe Miz beating Bryan again really hurts his confidence and you do a redemption story for Bryan, building him back up, while Miz is on his ascent.

Then if Miz takes the title off of AJ you can have Miz taunt Bryan about being the better wrestler and already proving that Bryan can't beat him.

And then Bryan kicks the shit out of Miz for about 8 to 10 minutes and squashes the fuck out of him, which is what Lawler should have done to Miz and what Cena should have done to Miz instead of having overly competitive matches with the guy. At some point the chicken shit heel needs to get his ass beat. Bad. So hopefully this time WWE gets it right. Third times the charm.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I also don't think you can stretch out a Bryan/Miz feud to WM, but things can at least be put on hold while each does something else in the meanwhile. Maybe Miz beating Bryan again really hurts his confidence and you do a redemption story for Bryan, building him back up, while Miz is on his ascent.

Then if Miz takes the title off of AJ you can have Miz taunt Bryan about being the better wrestler and already proving that Bryan can't beat him.

And then Bryan kicks the shit out of Miz for about 8 to 10 minutes and squashes the fuck out of him, which is what Lawler should have done to Miz and what Cena should have done to Miz instead of having overly competitive matches with the guy. At some point the chicken shit heel needs to get his ass beat. Bad. So hopefully this time WWE gets it right. Third times the charm.

In the past, the chicken shit heel would have gotten his comeuppance. Now, it's just about an old man that gets his jollies by doing the opposite of what his audience wants to see. Vince is never going to let go of his dream WM main event being ruined in his eyes, so this why we see Bryan looking like a schmuck the majority of the time.