DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell X - 9/16/2018

ChesterCopperpot

3 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The red headed woman I like won and the ending to the cage match didn't piss me off, so this crazy idea worked.

The ending to Roman/Braun didn't piss me off as I'm sick to death of Braun and I don't mind Roman when Ambrose and Rollins are around. 

I was more pissed with the ending of Orton/Hardy because of how ridiculous it looked.

I would have rather Joe went over here. I'll watch the rematch at Thunder from Down Under at some point. I'm not waking at up 5 am to watch it, though.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bret Hart is awesome for various reasons and that includes pinning combinations from nowhere:

vs. Roddy Piper, WrestleMania VIII.

vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, King of the Ring 1993.

vs. Diesel, Survivor Series 1995.

vs. British Bulldog, In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings 1995.

vs. Steve Austin, Survivor Series 1996.

I thought they were going to go in that direction with Bryan at the start of his 2013 push, with that awesome cradle vs Cesaro in the Raw gauntlet etc, but then they just pivoted abruptly to letting him straight up pulverise people clean as a sheet with the busaiku knee and it was like oh ok that works too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In reading around - I think you are higher on the match than most.

I haven't seen it so I have no idea its quality - I just know I have seen plenty of people way on the opposite side of the bolded part

It was easily the best since Charlotte/Asuka. The main roster has been hampered by the Alexa and Carmella focus. With both of them out of the way hopefully the quality on both shows will go up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I don't watch consistently, but I checked out the Rousey/Bliss match--does Ronda always do her armbar like that now, with the arm clearly bent? What's going on there?

It's a different type of armbar, but it still fucking hurts like hell.

Yeah, it does look like it would be a wristlock if anything. I don't buy it as a bent armlock (like a keylock/americana). Maybe they wanted her to have something different since Asuka and Nakamura both do straight armbars IIRC, but still wanted something resembling an armbar finish, and thought the arm-in-the-armpit straight armbar was too dangerous.

I love seeing Ronda hit Judo throws on people, though. I don't think I'll ever get sick of that.

I thought McIntyre came out looking like a million bucks by the end of that tag match, the disturbingly effortless kip up, the genius finish, carrying dead ziggler and both belts to the back without looking tired. Nobody's career is truly unsalvageable, as long as there remains an indie scene to refresh careers and the faint but real hope that Vince will perhaps one day die

I liked Joe/AJ, wondered if the finish would work better if Joe's argument is just that AJ was out. Like why would you bother tapping to a blood choke if you were pinning a guy at 2? I guess you can just say that AJ was being sneaky and he really hates Joe though

• Like 1

Alexa/Asuka from 1/1 RAW is still one of my favorites of the year. Thought the last Charlotte/Carmella match was actually really good. Alexa/Ronda was a blast last night, entertaining all the way through with a great story, selling, payoff, etc, loved it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You know Ronda's arm bar is an actual Ude Garami, just done from a different position, right?

I see the resemblance, but the way she's doing it in that gif, it doesn't look like it would actually put much pressure on the shoulder. The opponent's elbow is up too high next to their head, and Ronda's own leg is blocking her from getting any more torque. As I understand it, that kind of bent armlock works best when the opponent's elbow is closer down closer to their hip (as in the drawing @D.Z posted).

I know it's a worked hold and all, but I don't see how a bent armlock from that position would work even in theory.

It does look like it would be a mean wristlock, though. And of course I could be completely wrong, I'm not a grappling expert.

I think it's meant to be more of a wrist/elbow hold vs the shoulder? Either way it still looks fine.

Cena turned an elevated fireman's carry into just about the most dominating finisher of the last 15 years so I'm fine with people tapping to this.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bret Hart is awesome for various reasons and that includes pinning combinations from nowhere:

vs. Roddy Piper, WrestleMania VIII.

vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, King of the Ring 1993.

vs. Diesel, Survivor Series 1995.

vs. British Bulldog, In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings 1995.

vs. Steve Austin, Survivor Series 1996.

One of my all time favourite finishes to a match is actually against Bret by the Bulldog for his reversal of the Sunset flip at Summerslam 92.

• Like 2