DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell X - 9/16/2018

ChesterCopperpot

Per Meltzer - they have had this deal with Brock in place for awhile so this wasn't a case of Brock agreed to a short term thing like on Friday and they changed the finish. This was always the way the match was booked to end.

Dave THINKS the Becky/Charlotte match finish was changed (possibly to appease fans who would be upset at the lack of a finish in the main)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just for the record - this is the second HIAC to end in a no contest as there was a Makind/Kane match on RAW early on that ended in a no contest when Steve Austin hid under the ring and attacked Kane

@RIPPA

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Reigns vs. Strowman Hell in a Cell is only the second no contest Hell in a Cell match. Kane vs. Mankind Hell in a Cell on RAW, August 1998 was the first.

; p.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2018 at 6:38 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed x 100. It needs a finish like the original with Kane's debut but it won't have the same juice if it's just a Shield run in or even a one off Brock appearance

"Hmm I think that guys right. Let's do both and see how it goes." - lurking WWE writer probably

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If it's true that the finish of Charlotte/Becky was relatively last-minute, I really liked what they came up with. The roll-through finish is usually a bit cheap--and doesn't actually accomplish what it's supposed to, because someone essentially gets pinned by nothing--but this had Charlotte getting spiked on her head and injured shoulder, and Becky of course causing that to happen. I think they've also done a good job course correcting on Becky's character: She's not cheating, or insulting fans, but still has the edge the ersatz heel turn gave her. And of course, the match's story told us that edge is why she won. The opening technical gambits were basically 50/50, and neither could ever get their signature submission really locked in; but Becky smashing Charlotte's shoulder on the apron and post eventually told. (All of this is to say: Really good match.)

The Raw tag team titles match was my other favorite match of the night. I don't exactly know why Seth and Dean work so well together, because you can't really say they hide one another's faults; but they always put together these really bonkers hot tags and finishing runs. Dolph and Drew weren't just hanging around, either.

• Like 3

Why did Brock F5 Roman onto Brock if that wasn't the finish?  And what happened to Dean and Drew after Seth and Dolph repeat of the Dean and Seth bump from their hell in a cell match? 

I'm kinda done with Miz and Bryan for a while.  Kinda done with Ronda and Alexa.  I should be done with Seth and Dean vs. Dolph and Drew, but that match was great. 

I'm also kinda done with them teasing breaking up Rusev Day.  I like Aiden, and this feels like his last chance.  I like Rusev too, but until they commit to an alignment he's stuck in limbo.  Seems like a face to me, but what the hell do I know. 

I liked Becky and Charlotte, but all that arm and shoulder work really went nowhere with that flash pin.  You can't break out the Pentagon arm break spot and not have it come back and affect Charlotte later on.  Was there even a spot where she tried to use the worked over arm? 

AJ and Joe was a really good match, and I liked AJ being unsure about how he won and whether he won.  Joe better win a match with that muscle buster at some point, because there's no point in teasing it after not using it for years. 

I thought Hardy and Orton was good.  I didn't think the finish was the finish of the match.  I legit thought it was an excuse to raise the cell, get Randy and Hardy to the outside, and then some woken magic would put the cell down, and we'd get our fabled Swanton off the cell.  Actually, probably a good thing that didn't happen.  I had no problem with Randy moving early -- Hardy was in no man's land and he was gonna fall regardless.  Might have been fun if he fell into an RKO, but I don't know how you do that without killing one or the other. 

But yeah, they need split PPVs again.  Do one a month, alternate and combine for the big ones.  I know their booking cycle can only work for four weeks, so on the off month for a show, do a "special" or "themed" show like Smackdown does from time to time.  Special Smackdown from Las Vegas!  Have a Universal title shot on Raw.  You can do that now! 

But yeah, the amount of talent not at these shows dwarfs the the amount of talent at these shows.  And that doesn't feel right. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Dave THINKS the Becky/Charlotte match finish was changed (possibly to appease fans who would be upset at the lack of a finish in the main)

I like how its phrased like its odd that people want the cage match to have a real finish. "You mean they want a real ending to a match they paid to watch. Very well let the red headed woman they like win."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I also really liked the flash pin ending by Becky countering Charlotte.

Bret Hart is awesome for various reasons and that includes pinning combinations from nowhere:

vs. Roddy Piper, WrestleMania VIII.

vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, King of the Ring 1993.

vs. Diesel, Survivor Series 1995.

vs. British Bulldog, In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings 1995.

vs. Steve Austin, Survivor Series 1996.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

If it's true that the finish of Charlotte/Becky was relatively last-minute, I really liked what they came up with. The roll-through finish is usually a bit cheap--and doesn't actually accomplish what it's supposed to, because someone essentially gets pinned by nothing--but this had Charlotte getting spiked on her head and injured shoulder, and Becky of course causing that to happen. I think they've also done a good job course correcting on Becky's character: She's not cheating, or insulting fans, but still has the edge the ersatz heel turn gave her. And of course, the match's story told us that edge is why she won. The opening technical gambits were basically 50/50, and neither could ever get their signature submission really locked in; but Becky smashing Charlotte's shoulder on the apron and post eventually told. (All of this is to say: Really good match.)

The Raw tag team titles match was my other favorite match of the night. I don't exactly know why Seth and Dean work so well together, because you can't really say they hide one another's faults; but they always put together these really bonkers hot tags and finishing runs. Dolph and Drew weren't just hanging around, either.

Speaking of this, I hope Meltzer's whining about the alignments of Becky/Charlotte doesn't take away from how good a match it was, being the best main-roster women's match in quite some time. (I personally liked the Asuka match at Mania a little more because of the speed and crazy counters from both her and Charlotte, but I can understand why some found tonight's more satisfying given Becky finally got that second title win.)

I also don't think Charlotte would have been at all reluctant to lose clean to her best friend:(From Second Nature, p.344, talking about the weeks before Wrestlemania 32.)

MNgqhqDsXCFFeuwTQ2s-DgcOQz7gibV9YfQlVHYQ

Now that I'm calmed down. The Brock run in isn't bad per say, actually it makes sense Brock is angry at being shown up by Roman so he leaves him in a heap. It would have worked better if Brock cost Roman the title. For the 2nd PPV in a row Brock completely neutered Braun and Braun doesn't retaliate. I don't like that Brock is booked to where no one can touch him, only Triple H, Undertaker and Cena can phase him and that bothers me. Braun should have fought out of the F-5 Power Slammed Brock a couple times and maybe took him out of the ring Power Slammed him in the side of the cell and then went back and wrestled Roman. I would have even been ok with Brock F-5ing both and putting Braun on top of Roman and costing Roman the mouth.

Other than Vince having to remind us that his guys are better than Triple H's guys the show was really good. I think thats what upset me so much, the show was so good it looked like they might be turning a corner Roman and Braun might end up becoming the focal point and then boom everything is back to how it's been for the best 6 years since Brock has come back.

18 minutes ago, RIShane said:

Speaking of this, I hope Meltzer's whining about the alignments of Becky/Charlotte doesn't take away from how good a match it was, being the best main-roster women's match in quite some time. (I personally liked the Asuka match at Mania a little more because of the speed and crazy counters from both her and Charlotte, but I can understand why some found tonight's more satisfying given Becky finally got that second title win.)

In reading around - I think you are higher on the match than most.

I haven't seen it so I have no idea its quality - I just know I have seen plenty of people way on the opposite side of the bolded part

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I haven't seen it so I have no idea its quality - I just know I have seen plenty of people way on the opposite side of the bolded part

I also felt like Becky/Charlotte was the best women's main roster match in quite some time, at least since Charlotte/Asuka. That match is tainted because it had the wrong outcome.

There may have been a Ruby Riott or Sarah Logan vs. Ember Moon match I really liked at the time, but I can't remember now. Everything on Raw just kind of blends together into one unmemorable mess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also felt like Becky/Charlotte was the best women's main roster match in quite some time, at least since Charlotte/Asuka. That match is tainted because it had the wrong outcome.

There may have been a Ruby Riott or Sarah Logan vs. Ember Moon match I really liked at the time, but I can't remember now. Everything on Raw just kind of blends together into one unmemorable mess.

I also enjoyed Charlotte/Becky more as it had the right finish unlike Charlotte/Asuka which still pisses me off.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sasha and Ruby had a really good match on RAW, but yeah I'd have Becky and Charlotte as one of the best women's matches this year. Simple story--the opening wrestling was really even, until Becky's singular and more vicious focus paid off, while Charlotte's superior athleticism allowed her to keep getting back into things--done really well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Victator said:

I like how its phrased like its odd that people want the cage match to have a real finish. "You mean they want a real ending to a match they paid to watch. Very well let the red headed woman they like win."

The red headed woman I like won and the ending to the cage match didn't piss me off, so this crazy idea worked.

3 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The red headed woman I like won and the ending to the cage match didn't piss me off, so this crazy idea worked.

The ending to Roman/Braun didn't piss me off as I'm sick to death of Braun and I don't mind Roman when Ambrose and Rollins are around. 

I was more pissed with the ending of Orton/Hardy because of how ridiculous it looked.

I would have rather Joe went over here. I'll watch the rematch at Thunder from Down Under at some point. I'm not waking at up 5 am to watch it, though.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bret Hart is awesome for various reasons and that includes pinning combinations from nowhere:

vs. Roddy Piper, WrestleMania VIII.

vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, King of the Ring 1993.

vs. Diesel, Survivor Series 1995.

vs. British Bulldog, In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings 1995.

vs. Steve Austin, Survivor Series 1996.

I thought they were going to go in that direction with Bryan at the start of his 2013 push, with that awesome cradle vs Cesaro in the Raw gauntlet etc, but then they just pivoted abruptly to letting him straight up pulverise people clean as a sheet with the busaiku knee and it was like oh ok that works too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It was easily the best since Charlotte/Asuka. The main roster has been hampered by the Alexa and Carmella focus. With both of them out of the way hopefully the quality on both shows will go up.

• Like 2