DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell X - 9/16/2018

ChesterCopperpot

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I agree, but folks complained about that when it was happening, too. Said we had too many PPVs. We're not obligated to watch all of WWE's programming. One could argue that WWE isn't even concerned if we watch everything. I think they're fine with us cherry-picking because they're offering so much stuff.

I remember the complaints too, but in fairness, they ended the split just before SDL got its current killer roster.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

Any company with Dolph Ziggler and Mojo Rawley on its payroll is a company I don’t trust with my money. If they’re dumb enough to do that, they’re dumb enough to do something like that main event tonight.

fixed

The WWE could find the time for all these other matches, but that would involve them not showing those long promo videos recapping everything. As we know, we the fan need everything recapped...even if it happened a couple of days ago because we wouldnt remember it otherwise.

We learned an important lesson here tonight. You can't blade in the WWE anymore, but using a screwdriver to twist a guys over stretched earlobe is totally cool.

I genuinely popped for Becky winning just because I didn't think she would. Also it was nice to see a flash pin for once.

Joe/AJ was great. But considering the story...the match really should have been a cell match.

I honestly don't know why Ronda/Alexa didnt have that match at Summerslam.

But the ending to the show. Brock kicking the door down was so awesome. SEND FOR THE MAN. But all that pre-stuff with Rollins/Ziggler and Drew/Dean was so stupid. Does Roman blow up so much he needs eight minutes to nap like that?

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Mick Foley got thrown off the top of HIAC and the match went on. Braun and Roman laid on the mat for eight minutes, then received some shots to the back with pressed wood, each took an F-5, and the ref decided they can’t continue?? The ref didn’t even give them a chance to recover. 

Kane interfered against Michaels and Taker, and there was still a finish.

41 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I don't think Roman, who has done a number of 25-30 minute matches, is the problem. Look at the 400-lb monster man who hasn't gone more than 13 or so minutes more than 1-2 times.

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would suspect Braun does. Have we seen him have a long-ish match?

Longest match has been 13 minutes and that included plenty of stalling.  The big fella blows up pretty quickly as you might expect. Roman has never had a problem going all out for thirty minutes when called upon to do so.

55 minutes ago, RIShane said:

I remember the complaints too, but in fairness, they ended the split just before SDL got its current killer roster.

What if we got show specific "specials" every couple weeks? 2 hrs? That way both shows are represented equally but it doesn't feel like overkill...

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Longest match has been 13 minutes and that included plenty of stalling.  The big fella blows up pretty quickly as you might expect. Roman has never had a problem going all out for thirty minutes when called upon to do so.

I think some will disagree with me but I don't believe these hoss matches need to be going 30 minutes or much over 13.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, just drew said:

What if we got show specific "specials" every couple weeks? 2 hrs? That way both shows are represented equally but it doesn't feel like overkill...

As always, the problem is that the WWE is more concerned with cornball story-lines than just having wrestlers wrestle for a belt or a shot at one. Why I always preferred WCW even with totally random stuff. Totally random stuff is fun.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think some will disagree with me but I don't believe these hoss matches need to be going 30 minutes or much over 13.  

You'll get no argument from me.

Surprised this got so many positive reviews.

Watched it live and it just felt so ho-hum, so maybe it's me who's over the art-form, rather than the application of it. The pacing of it all just doesn't work for me - the predictable match flow; being able to put a piss break at pretty much any stage of the PPV knowing I'm not going to miss much because the running sheet is so generic and has been for 30 years is a problem. Every guy working the same spots at the same pace. And that's before you get into the long-term payoff being non-existent, and encouraging no emotional investment in any storyline. And that's with a PPV that if I reflect on in hindsight, had nothing inoffensive, solid wall to wall stuff, just....there. 

Feels like the holding pattern that usually happens from Survivor Series to the Rumble is now Summerslam to Mania; that they're very much aware that the end goal is keeping the machine running for the 365 odd shows a year they churn out without any disruption, rather than making the content memorable in any way.

My hope is that this show somehow wins an Emmy in the next few years and deludes itself into thinking it's competition is Game of Thrones rather than UFC or Monday Night Football; or they put some money into some halfway decent writers rather than the 32k pittance they put out at the moment. 

Let Jim Duggan come out on the stage tomorrow night and cut the mother of all pipebomb promos, slowly rotating on the Dildo Blender that he believes gives him sexual powers, his body temperature up to 400 degrees, literally stewing in his own juices while he tells us where professional wrestling is at. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I'm fine with shorter matches. The idea of blaming Reigns as the one who gets gassed when it's clearly Strowman is the issue here.

I don't think I've ever seen Reigns gassed.   If they want to do 25 minutes with Reigns and AJ I think that works,  we've seen that work.  I think the sweet spot for Braun is right around ten minutes..  he can be very good over a short period of time and he's a monster so the story they should be telling is either he and his opponent are throwing haymakers or he is on the attack and his opponent is about survival.  I don't think Braun should be selling for long periods of time. 

Just for the record - this is the second HIAC to end in a no contest as there was a Makind/Kane match on RAW early on that ended in a no contest when Steve Austin hid under the ring and attacked Kane

• Like 1