DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell X - 9/16/2018

ChesterCopperpot

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My one gripe is this.  You cannot end a Hell in a Cell in a NO CONTEST..  it's anything goes,  it's the most dangerous match in WWE.   There has to be a winner there.  I didn't like that but everything else was cool.  

Yeah. This one made my head hurt.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

They HAD a star in Braun key word is had but they've spent the last year doing everything in their power to kill his heat just cuz they can. 

Remember when they wanted to take the slow burn with Braun's push so they would not hot shot the belt onto him just for cheap pops and quick money (cough Rousey cough)?

Now they are burying him as if they realized his title run was a disaster with zero pops.

Good times.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Reigns vs. Braun vs. Brock at Survivor Series.

I'm all for Brock joining up with the AOP to level things out in a 3 faction war. Just have AOP take up Heyman as their manager and kick Drake to the side.

I wouldn't kick Spud to the side. I'd like he and Heyman working together like the heel managers in the early days of the Survivor Series.

I liked Corey getting in a Pantera reference. "Braun said all he needed was 5 Minutes Alone with Roman."

• Like 2

One of those 'low expectations = GREAT event' kinda shows for me. If going from the last 3 PPVs of 10 match main card to this one with a simple 7 means everything gets the time it deserves, I want more of that.

Usually the preshow matches feel meaningless and in this case, New Day were an obvious win but thought the match was super fun. Aiden English has come a long way and totally fits in with the others in ring, though I hate when they constantly make him look like an idiot in teasing the breakup.. I hope they keep them together.

Thought Orton/Hardy was fantastic, perfect hate-filled grudge. The screwdriver bit was sick and a great further take on the initial ear attack. A great instance of the rare blood adding to a match, especially in the Cell, which happened multiple times tonight. My only issue with the match was wishing the Cell was more of a factor in it rather than just there for the finish while the rest of the match is just a TLC match that happens to be in a cell. Other than that, loved it. Hardy's chairshots were properly vicious after some of Orton's were looking kind of awkward with the need to only hit the back. 

Becky/Charlotte was good with a really sudden out of nowhere finish, was very surprised to see Charlotte drop the title that quick especially knowing they have a rematch at SSD coming up. Tag title match was really fun and got tons of time.. the finish was an awesome one and unique, really dug that. Thought Styles/Joe delivered another very good match like last month. The finish would've been a little better if they hadn't already used it with Joe before, but still good and AJ tapping provides a reason for the rematch. Another hate filled grudge where AJ getting bloodied up a little bit added to the violence a great degree. Mixed tag was pretty good, thought for sure Bryan & Brie would go over then Miz would win again at SSD. I was wondering if Miz got cut up by Brie's stiff strikes, loved her slide kick thru Miz's legs to Maryse.

Absolutely loved Ronda/Alexa II. Ronda's selling was the best and allowed for Alexa to believably take over for a little bit. Loved Ronda's execution on some of the basics like the small package and backslide. Utilizing the growling spot in the match was hilarious, loved that... perfect reactions from both. Really fun match. Main event wasn't a great match by any means, I just wanted Roman to retain, but it ended up a hell of a spectacle and I was super on board with Brock destroying all when everyone thought he was gone. Amused that Roman and Braun were down for 7 whole minutes after the Spear through a table while all else was going on. When Brock's music first hit, I thought for sure they were gonna say Corbin gave him the briefcase and he was cashing in. I don't want to see a triple threat match at all so I'm sure that's next but for now this ruled. Obviously Roman can't lose the title this quick so if they had to protect Braun, this seemed a perfect way to do it. Great show!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think that's a little lopsided :lol:   

Brock with AOP and Heyman would pretty much be Thanos and the Black Order 

Given I don't watch regularly, but didn't it take the entire RAW roster to take the Shied down?

Also, Braun won the tag titles with an elementary school kid, so I'd said they would be pretty even.

4 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Thought Orton/Hardy was fantastic, perfect hate-filled grudge. The screwdriver bit was sick and a great further take on the initial ear attack. A great instance of the rare blood adding to a match, especially in the Cell, which happened multiple times tonight. My only issue with the match was wishing the Cell was more of a factor in it rather than just there for the finish while the rest of the match is just a TLC match that happens to be in a cell. Other than that, loved it. Hardy's chairshots were properly vicious after some of Orton's were looking kind of awkward with the need to only hit the back.

That finish was horrible though.  Randy clearly got gunshy and got the fuck out of Dodge WAY too early and Jeff looked like a fucking idiot.  Replaying it to death only made it worse.  If anything, I now have way more respect for Zayn and Owens perfectly dodging the Shane McMahon missile.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That finish was horrible though.  Randy clearly got gunshy and got the fuck out of Dodge WAY too early and Jeff looked like a fucking idiot.  Replaying it to death only made it worse.  If anything, I now have way more respect for Zayn and Owens perfectly dodging the Shane McMahon missile.

That is true, I think they tried to cover saying they weren't sure if Hardy lost his grip or what, but it kinda looked like maybe he had swung forward to the point he couldn't see Orton before he swung back and dropped.... definitely an odd finish regardless, felt like they wanted the craziest possible Cell bump without leaving the cell. I thought about Shane/Owens earlier, crazy it's been a year.. that was a super fun brawl so I'm sad to see how Owens has fallen since and I always enjoyed whenever Shane O worked a big PPV match.

Now THAT was a fucking show. From top to bottom I think I enjoyed everything and if I had one nitpicky complaint, it's that I don't think HiaC matches should end in a no contest. Even still, WHO CARES! I may have really disliked everything from Brock after the Goldberg feud, but that was a great surprise to see him show up and kill dudes. He looks great too. Yeah, no way was he juicing like crazy before...must be on a keto diet now...

And the worst match was probably Orton vs Hardy, but even that had some really insane shit that I never want to see again, but damn, seeing it that one time was something else. The screwdriver in the ear spot is haunting. Jeff trying to kill himself when Matt just wrestled his last match is the most Hardy thing ever.

Fuuuuuuuuck I loved this show.

And most importantly, BECKY WON! BOO THE WOO! Oh yeah, best part, FUCK YOUR HANDSHAKE! YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

• Like 2

New Day vs. Rusev was good.

Jeff/Orton was decent with some nice hate filled moments and that absolutely disgusting moment with the screwdriver and ear. Finish didn't fully work for me, but not bad.

Charlotte/Becky was really good with a nice surprise finish. Really wasn't expecting Becky to win here. Charlotte. That ending feels like a missed opportunity for a Charlotte heel turn.

Shield/Pack was fucking great and easily MOTN. I absolutely loved that finish with Drew countering Seth never pinning falcon's arrow combo.

I felt sorry for Joe/AJ going on right after the tag titles match. The crowd was just not ready for them. Match seemed solid enough. I liked the finish fine.

Bryan/Brie vs. Miz/Maryse was fun outside of the slightly botched finish.

Ronda/Alexa over-delivered quite a bit and ended up a solid little match. Ronda did a great job selling the ribs, and this match played perfectly to Alexa's strength as a character. Its not either's best match yet its one of the best performances probably from either woman.

Roman/Braun was good before the crazy overbooking. I'll be honest and say the Seth/Dean vs. Drew/Ziggler felt off to me and probably took away from it. Brock coming down is what saved this and made for something interesting. I don't want Brock back, but that was a good surprise.

Good show overall.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Great show until that bull shit heat killing finish all so nobody will forget that Brock is better than the rest of the current roster, so don't get emotionally invested in anyone who debuted after 2009 cuz at any given moment Brock can show up and destroy them. 

They HAD a star in Braun key word is had but they've spent the last year doing everything in their power to kill his heat just cuz they can. 

They show was good very good I had a blast watching it, I'm just a little worked up by how stupid that finish was in the Main. A no contest in a hell in a cell. Bullshit.

The problem is they work overtime to protect him and have him destroy port-a-johns for giggles. Is he a monster or a jolly giant? He threw KO off a cage n a nonsense rage and this week, we'll see him make kissy faces with Alexa. It's absurd at this point. I'm not nearly high on Braun as many here. However, something has to give. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I thought about Shane/Owens earlier, crazy it's been a year.. that was a super fun brawl so I'm sad to see how Owens has fallen since and I always enjoyed whenever Shane O worked a big PPV match.

I literally went to go see when that match happened after my earlier post.  I can't fucking believe it has been a year.

Sami Zayn has been a heel for a year.  I would have guessed six-seven months.  Even seven seems crazy.  Don't ever get old.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The problem is they work overtime to protect him and have him destroy port-a-johns for giggles. Is he a monster or a jolly giant? He threw KO off a cage n a nonsense rage and this week, we'll see him make kissy faces with Alexa. It's absurd at this point. I'm not nearly high on Braun as many here. However, something has to give. 

Most definitely a typical WWE booking giants case of when he's a heel he's a monster but when he's a babyface he's a goofy cornball just here to have fun. I've been sick of him all year but much prefer him heel as it at least seems he's less likely to steamroll the entire roster that way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I've been sick of Braun for quite a while. I think he jumped the shark after WM. I would have been ok with he and Elias ending up as tag champions. He didn't need the MITB win. That could have been used to elevate someone else. I hated the completely one-sided KO feud. 

• Like 6

Talking about Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon a year ago. 2016 was the first women's Hell in a Cell match and the first women's match to main event a WWF/E PPV: Sasha  Banks vs. Charlotte Flair. Two years later, Banks' not in a match. How stocks go up and down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've been sick of Braun for quite a while. I think he jumped the shark after WM. I would have been ok with he and Elias ending up as tag champions. He didn't need the MITB win. That could have been used to elevate someone else. I hated the completely one-sided KO feud. 

I wasn't against the idea of him being tag champion by himself until they unleashed AOP on him. Even he and Balor as partners would have worked. The Nicholas bit at WM may have done him in. Even for laughs, it didn't feel quite right.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Talking about Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon a year ago. 2016 was the first women's Hell in a Cell match and the first women's match to main event a WWF/E PPV: Sasha  Banks vs. Charlotte Flair. Two years later, Banks' not in a match. How stocks go up and down.

I'm sure Sasha wasn't real pleased watching Maryse out there and her attempt at wrestling. Nothing like having a women's division that can finally wrestle, then bringing back the butterfly belt divas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

New Day vs. Rusev was good.

Jeff/Orton was decent with some nice hate filled moments and that absolutely disgusting moment with the screwdriver and ear. Finish didn't fully work for me, but not bad.

Charlotte/Becky was really good with a nice surprise finish. Really wasn't expecting Becky to win here. Charlotte. That ending feels like a missed opportunity for a Charlotte heel turn.

Shield/Pack was fucking great and easily MOTN. I absolutely loved that finish with Drew countering Seth never pinning falcon's arrow combo.

I felt sorry for Joe/AJ going on right after the tag titles match. The crowd was just not ready for them. Match seemed solid enough. I liked the finish fine.

Bryan/Brie vs. Miz/Maryse was fun outside of the slightly botched finish.

Ronda/Alexa over-delivered quite a bit and ended up a solid little match. Ronda did a great job selling the ribs, and this match played perfectly to Alexa's strength as a character. Its not either's best match yet its one of the best performances probably from either woman.

Roman/Braun was good before the crazy overbooking. I'll be honest and say the Seth/Dean vs. Drew/Ziggler felt off to me and probably took away from it. Brock coming down is what saved this and made for something interesting. I don't want Brock back, but that was a good surprise.

Good show overall.

Is a Charlotte heel turn needed though? The whole story has been that she's been respectful and trying hard to be kind, but Becky despises her and is willing to go any length to destroy her. (My thinking too is that if they're running Ronda/Charlotte next year, either save the Charlotte heel turn for after this Becky feud or don't do it at all, because Heel Charlotte doesn't look credible if she's already cleanly lost to Becky, whereas for Face Charlotte it makes her an underdog.) Thought the surprise ending was smart in that Becky won, but didn't use her finisher. Perhaps a submission match at Evolution to end the feud (cause I'm guessing a no-finish in Melbourne) could be the way to go?

• Like 1

Apparently Naomi and Asuka went to a Beyonce concert this evening and Boss and Hug were watching Chris Jericho DVDs.  I know it's none of theirs "turn" yet but they have to find a balance to get these women on PPVs.  No Ember Moon or Ruby Riott either.  These very talented women have nothing to do.  

• Like 9