DVDVR Message Board

SDL is the United States of Nakamerica - 8/21/2018

Dolfan in NYC

All of this is overlooking the fact that Charlotte is really incredible as a talent and as a performer. Maybe she is the benefit of favorable booking but you should be pushing the athletic freak progeny of the greatest wrestler of all-time.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

All of this is overlooking the fact that Charlotte is really incredible as a talent and as a performer.

You're not wrong, but I wouldn't say she's head and shoulders above their other top talents, which is where the complaints come from. And I agree with the general consensus that Charlotte is a better heel than face, which makes Becky turning on her rather than vice versa annoying.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RIShane said:

I know people got behind her as a face, but this is a major opportunity for her to get the biggest push of her career and to become the top woman on SDL.

So why cant it be as a face, why does it have to be as a heel?

The SDL women's division has struggled for months with not having a real top heel (Carmella's funny, but she didn't really cut it in that role), and it was basically necessary to turn one of her, Asuka, or Charlotte.

If it has to be one of the three, turn Charlotte.

and Charlotte can't stay around the SDL division all the way through Mania if the Charlotte/Ronda rumours are true.

It's not like there isn't president for the winner of the women's rumble being from one show and challenging for the other belt.  What would be the face/heel dynamic in a Charlotte/Ronda feud? Everyone complains Ronda isn't a natural on the mic yet you wont to put her in a position where she would be the one needing to get the heat? In a second straight feud where the fans wouldn't be behind Charlotte as a face. Wouldn't it make more sense for Heel Stephanie to convince Heel Charlotte to come to out the thorn in Steph's side Ronda then for Steph to side with Ronda?

Sure there would have been a 'BECKY BALBOA DID IT AGAIN!' promo and it would have been a nice moment, but then what?

Or you have her cut a Austin like I'm sick of being pushed aside and Im' now here to kick everyone's arse like I should have been since day one but I got blinded by friendships. So Bek 3:16 says, I just kicked your arse.

As for feeling unjustified, a lot of the storytelling they were doing since Charlotte's return (both on-air and in social media) was suggesting that Charlotte wanted to stay friends while Becky was only seeing her as a "tall blonde boulder" in the path of a victory she thought was inevitable

10 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

And Becky saying Charlotte stole her way into the match is Becky being a heel, given what happened on-screen was Charlotte saving Becky from Carmella upon her return, Carmella insulting Paige afterwards, and Paige making the match without Charlotte being in the room.

And in the two weeks after Paige made that match did Charlotte either in story line or via social media ever try and get herself out of the match. All you needed was one segment or twitter exchange between Charlotte and Paige where Charlotte says something like 'Yeah I won the match verse Carmella and yes the stipulation was that winning put me in the match at Summer Slam, BUT Becky's my best friend and she should get the shot at Carmella one on one. So instead of being in the Summer Slam match I want the winner at Hell in a Cell."

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

This actually makes me agree with the thought that they need to move away from typical heel/face alignment and towards a more “shades of gray”/“pro sports build.” 

In the past, a beloved face like you described turning their back on the fans would be seem more like a personal betrayal of those fans and less “ugh, but we want to cheer you, this is dumb booking.”  WWE isn’t helping things by forcing the anti-fans comments in promos. Instead, they could go the black glove Diesel/Canadian hero Bret Hart route of “I’m going to do things my way and my real fans will still be with me.”  WWE embraces their top faces being hated by a percentage of the crowd, yet they still tend to put their heels into generic heel roles.

Do you think this shit show of a company even knows how to pull off shades of gray or pro sports? They can't even fucking book heels and faces properly anymore. Vince sucks. The entire creative department sucks. They don't know shit. Becky is such a slam dunk and they fucked it up. They make Shaq making dunks look like Shaq trying to make free throws for crying out loud. It's unfathomable for how clueless this fucking company is.

And then I think to Succession, which I just finished up a little bit ago. This is a tv series about an old, out of touch, brain damaged CEO of a large right-wing media company. This guy's kids are far more knowledgeable than this old piece of shit who is sinking the company. By the way, the CEO of this company also made insanely horrible investments that set about $1 billion on fire. Anyway, the CEO winds up out of action and it's up to his kids to take control and try to right the ship. That's all fine and good except that the CEO is so fucking crazy he goes right back to work, takes back control of the company from his sons who were actually making headway on righting the ship, and he starts to fuck everything up again.

This is the greatest show ever because it's not about Fox, it's not about Rupert Murdoch, it's about Vince McMahon and WWE. It's an old, piece of shit, idiot CEO making terrible business decisions because they amuse him and him only and the company only survives in spite of idiocy of the CEO. 

• Like 3

John Cena and Roman Reigns are both essentially shades of grey characters/pro sports style dynasty teams that some people hate and others love.  If you think WWE doesn’t know what they’re doing by letting them be booed by hardcores/cheered by mainstream fans/woman/children, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.  My point is that there’s no reason they can’t treat “heels” similarly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

There shouldn’t be stars like Roman Reigns or Charlotte when you have the most talent filled roster of all time. There shouldn’t be another John Cena when you have super talented wrestlers all over.

Too bad most of them didn't start with Vince. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 10:35 AM, Craig H said:

And then I think to Succession, which I just finished up a little bit ago. This is a tv series about an old, out of touch, brain damaged CEO of a large right-wing media company. This guy's kids are far more knowledgeable than this old piece of shit who is sinking the company. By the way, the CEO of this company also made insanely horrible investments that set about $1 billion on fire. Anyway, the CEO winds up out of action and it's up to his kids to take control and try to right the ship. That's all fine and good except that the CEO is so fucking crazy he goes right back to work, takes back control of the company from his sons who were actually making headway on righting the ship, and he starts to fuck everything up again.

All the kids in that show are morons or ineffectual or both. The family is a clown car filled with self-important fools. None of them are up to the task. I wouldn't trust most of them to run a gas bar, let alone a media empire. 

Logan's time is ending, but his kids are absolute garbage.  

On 8/24/2018 at 2:24 AM, muhammedboehm said:

So why cant it be as a face, why does it have to be as a heel?

If it has to be one of the three, turn Charlotte.

Becky already beat SDL's various low-card heels, and said heels aren't stars. She hasn't gone against faces like Naomi and Asuka who would be enough for Becky to have prominent feuds with. If Charlotte is going to be the heel against Ronda, then it'd be more logical to turn her later rather than just have her lose to face Becky. What puzzles me about the BECKY IS THE NEW STONE COLD! hot take is that she doesn't really have anyone to take that out on. She can beat Charlotte, sure, but then there isn't really anyone else for her, especially as Paige is a face GM and can't take bumps. And frankly, there's been a lot of careful storytelling to establish Becky as the heel in this feud that is getting completely overlooked because of meta-level reasons ranging from perceptions about booking to some fans refusing to believe Becky can be anything besides her old character.

• Like 1

Run-on sentence warning: The story of Becky winning for two months straight in order to get a non-title match she had to win to get a title match, only to have hey best friend be immediately granted the same non-title match for a title shot opportunity without having to go on the winning streak, age having it be the same triple threat, leading to said friend sneaking up from behind to steal the victory at the last second was NEVER going to successfully lead to Becky, already the more popular of the two, being booed. It's a classic babyface gets screwed story, and their small touches towards Becky turning were clearly and obviously never going to work.

The second they hugged, I knew exactly what we going to happen, and how the crowd was going to react. If I can figure it out, WWE damn sure should've been able to. They love having the more popular but less established wrestler be the one that turns in these situations, and the audience never goes with it. Here it just exploded in their faces to an even greater degree.

• Like 2

Watching again, Rowan sure as hell went out of his way to be the biggest hoss possible in that match. If he had to go he wasn't gonna go quietly and every boot, crossbody, even the final bump through the barricade made him look like a total monster. He also showed no sign of injury the entire time. Great job. 

Renee's blood-spatter black leather jacket was super dope too, btw

• Like 4