DVDVR Message Board

SDL is the United States of Nakamerica - 8/21/2018

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, I'll bite.  Who or whom are #1 and 2?  

Oh, and fuck Charlotte. 

1. Macho turning on Hogan over the Elizabeth bullshit.  Don't mess with another man's wife.  Guy Code 101...

2. The Rock's first heel turn / Die, Rocky, Die!

Number Three used to be Samoa Joe's heel turn in NXT and the subsequent beatdown of Finn Balor.  Joe being told he had to earn his title shot was bullshit.  The list of the men that Joe has beaten over the years en route to title runs could sub for a HoF entry ballot.  Joe does not have to earn shit.  He deserves a shot because he is Samoa fucking Joe.  It's that simple  Give the man his championship opportunity when he asks for it.

Barry Windham turning on Dustin Rhodes for keeping him from pinning Steamboat is probably Number Five.   HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT WE ARE TRYING TO WIN TITLES, MOTHER FUCKER~?  STEAMBOAT IS NOT YOUR PARTNER, I AM~!

• Like 8

I am dumb.  Cactus Jack's Cane Dewey heel turn in ECW is Number Five now.  Cactus was right.  ECW fans are ungrateful fucktards.  

Windham turning on Dustin is Number Six.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Luke Harper is okay on the mic if you limit him to catchphrase delivery.

YOU CAN SEND ANYONE, BUT DON'T SEND SOMEONE THAT YOU WANT TO COME BACK~!

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Another for the "they consider Becky the heel" category. Notice the women holding her back

i noticed that as well. Also, the "face" locker room for the women is really small compared to the heels. 

Charlotte's backup is Asuka, Lana, and Naomi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

i noticed that as well. Also, the "face" locker room for the women is really small compared to the heels. 

Charlotte's backup is Asuka, Lana, and Naomi. 

Well you see Charlotte just beat two women so that means she's the equivalent of the Iiconics and Asuka is so dominant that she's the equivalent of Absolution. Lana and Naomi are there just because. I didn't see Vega or Mella trying to break up the fight. And there was one hilarious moment after Becky was unjustly attacked by Charlotte that Peyton started holding  back Charlotte and then went immediately to Becky when she realized what she was doing

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Luke Harper is okay on the mic if you limit him to catchphrase delivery.

YOU CAN SEND ANYONE, BUT DON'T SEND SOMEONE THAT YOU WANT TO COME BACK~!

You're forgetting maybe the best lines delivered in the past 4 1/2 years.

You reap what you sow. You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on.

• Like 3

Dug the Miz/Maryse vs. Bryan/Brie build.

Jeff destroying Orton was nice.

Becky's promo was great. I don't think Becky is miscast as a heel, and this is one of the better built feuds they have done. That said they have accidentally Daniel Bryaned her for the last year and half so people will cheer for her and want her to be not just a face but successful. The question now is whether or not they will course correct and fix things for both her and Charlotte or if they will end up screwing up Charlotte the way they did Roman. I'm hoping we get a double turn with Charlotte goign too far in one of their matches.

The Mella/Paige/Truth stuff was fun.

Joe is a magnificent evil bastard. Barring Miz beating AJ to setup a WM match with Bryan, there is really no good reason for Joe not to win the belt.

Bludgeon Brothers vs. New Day was good. Shame Rowan was injured. Can only imagine how much better it could have been.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Becky has skyrocketed to #3 on my lifetime Justified Heel Turns list.

Charlotte Flair had that beatdown coming to her.

That promo was great, but Becky wasn't remotely justified.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

No idea why but watching that New Day clip I envisioned Big E with bright yellow hair like Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man. That would be such a great heel look for him. 

I remember thinking that the concept for the Golden Lords gang from that Robert Townsend super hero comedy, The Meteor Man, was inspired by Butch Reed's "The Natural" heel turn in WWE when he dyed his hair blonde.

The kind of thought process that goes into writing Becky to tell the audience "you didn't cheer for me enough, and you cheered for my opponent" (both of which are totally untrue) as a justification for doing bad things, while the World Champion on the other show has been completely impervious to legitimate crowd reactions just like those, is the kind of insulting shit that got me to barely watch WWE for much of the last year, and will probably turn me away again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

1. Macho turning on Hogan over the Elizabeth bullshit.  Don't fuck with another man's wife, brah.  Guy Code, mother fucker...

2. The Rock's first heel turn / Die, Rocky, Die!

Number Three used to be Joe's heel turn in NXT and the subsequent beatdown of Finn Balor.  Joe being told he had to earn his title shot was bullshit.  He is Joe.  Give the man his championship opportunity when he asks for it.

Barry Windham turning on Dustin Rhodes for keeping him from pinning Steamboat is probably Number Five.   HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT WE ARE TRYING TO WIN TITLES, MOTHER FUCKER~?  STEAMBOAT IS NOT YOUR PARTNER, I AM~!

What about Shawn Michaels heroically pursuing that coward Marty Jannetty as he tried to escape through the barbershop window? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Well, again, WWE may already be pivoting away from making Becky a heel. If you're the type that catches up by watching what WWE puts up on YouTube then Becky's promo is very much a face promo. All of her attempted heeling on the crowd is totally cut out. I tend to watch a lot of the clips they put up and this one really appeared to be edited in such a way to change how it came across during the broadcast.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, again, WWE may already be pivoting away from making Becky a heel. If you're the type that catches up by watching what WWE puts up on YouTube then Becky's promo is very much a face promo. All of her attempted heeling on the crowd is totally cut out. I tend to watch a lot of the clips they put up and this one really appeared to be edited in such a way to change how it came across during the broadcast.

Yeah, I noticed that too when watching the clip last night. They edited out the crowd blame and Becky came off more like a resurgent badass than a whiny heel. I’m not sure if they’re still going to make her a face, but they’re not exactly discouraging the cheers with that editing.

14 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Golden pettiness alert!

"I've been following them since NXT, and Peyton's never looked better."

That stuck out like a sore thumb.  At first I figured that was a Vince thing but then realized that was totally something Corey would do.  Even if you didn't know the context it seemed almost out of place for him to say that.  At least mention Billie as well since she's standing next to her.  I just hope that's all they say about it.

Try as they might no way will Becky be booed throughout this feud.  All we really need is for her to win the title for a bit and there'll still be time for Charlotte to get it back for WM.

• Like 1

This episode really showed the importance of having someone like The New Day. It's ridiculous to think about where they started (a dead-on-arrival gospel gimmick) to becoming annoying heels to becoming one of the hottest acts in the company to now -- an act that will forever be over, even if it has grown stale. All of those guys play their part so well. They (and The Usos) are perfect for the "oh, crap, that's a horrible injury, who can we give the belts to while we recalibrate?" role.