DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NCAAF: WEEK 1

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

It's like Michigan State and Baylor are actively competing with each other for the lowest low. . . . .

Baylor wrapping themselves in religion gives them the tiebreaker IMO.

• Like 1

On one hand, Michigan should finally have a quarterback good enough to compete at a top level. It's a big year in a lot of ways, with Harbaugh having nearly all of the roster be his recruits, the team being over that magical "50% of signings are four or five star recruits" line.

On the other, the schedule includes five games against preseason top 12 teams, and 3 of those are road rivalry games. On paper, the Big Ten East is the second toughest division in the nation, plus they draw Wisconsin from the West this year.

They need to pull wins at home against Wisconsin and Penn State, and get at least one huge road win, preferably two of the ND/MSU/OSU trifecta, and not blow any of the easier games... And even then they aren't a national title contender. 

I really hope that they can at least get back to 10 wins. I mean, obviously, I hope Patterson turns into a runaway Heisman favorite as Blue goes 15-0 and wins it all, but I can't even half jokingly convince myself that's possible.

Guys, haven't you heard: the NCAA says Michigan State basketball and football are TOTALLY innocent!!! This is totally legit. The NCAA doesn't do ridiculous things like exonerate schools who literally were proven to have had players go to fake no show courses. You tell 'em Kirk Herbstreet, we need more honest straight shooters with integrity like you!!!!!!

• Haha 1

$75 million dollar man debuted last night.  Aggies somehow managed to look really unimpressive, despite having 750 yards of offense and winning by 49.

Also, the team is tougher and more physical now.  I know that because the announcers informed me of it every other play, and because our two best defenders managed to get themselves ejected on textbook targeting calls in the first half.  

• Like 1

NCAA won't do shit about Baylor. They gave a soft serve punishment to Penn State and STILL gave them all of their wins back. If institutionalized child rape isn't going to be worthy of any sort of meaningful punishment, then nothing else will either.

It's like hoping for, uh, certain laws to help save lives. If Sandy Hook didn't change anything, nothing will.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

NCAA won't do shit about Baylor. They gave a soft serve punishment to Penn State and STILL gave them all of their wins back. If institutionalized child rape isn't going to be worthy of any sort of meaningful punishment, then nothing else will either.

It's like hoping for, uh, certain laws to help save lives. If Sandy Hook didn't change anything, nothing will.

It's not against NCAA rules to do things that hurt kids, it's against the rules to do things to help kids.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Just wait Jimbo's Playbook will drive you crazy. 

I've been an A&M fan since the early 80s.  I'm immune to being annoyed by terrible play calls.

As long I get option plays to the short side of the field in critical situations, I'll feel right at home.

36 minutes ago, Robert C said:

$75 million dollar man debuted last night.  Aggies somehow managed to look really unimpressive, despite having 750 yards of offense and winning by 49.

Also, the team is tougher and more physical now.  I know that because the announcers informed me of it every other play, and because our two best defenders managed to get themselves ejected on textbook targeting calls in the first half.  

I love Mike Elko and it sucks that Notre Dame lost him after 1 year. He took a defense that fucking sucked and turned it into something really good. It was a remarkable turnaround, but I also seem to recall the defense being undisciplined and committing really, really dumb penalties in nearly every game. My memory sucks, but I know for sure that the defense was a bit, uh, rowdy.

So don't expect the dumb penalties to stop.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

I've been an A&M fan since the early 80s.  I'm immune to being annoyed by terrible play calls.

As long I get option plays to the short side of the field in critical situations, I'll feel right at home.

You know about Eli face just wait you will get use to Jimbo face. 

I know they are an ACC punching bag but good on Syracuse going on the road to Western Michigan (a MAC school). More power conference schools should have the guts to go on the road vs mid majors.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

It's not against NCAA rules to do things that hurt kids, it's against the rules to do things to help kids.  

HEY WAIT!  You can't say that!  That is absolutely...true.  Sigh...

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Maryland beats Texas for the 2nd straight year

Both fanbases are totally reacting in an appropriate manner and not overreacting at all

Texas fans spent all offseason listening to people saying  this is the year they return to being good. Local paper is always fun the day after  this type of loss