DVDVR Message Board

Aretha Franklin - RIP

ChesterCopperpot

I still remember my Dad marking the fuck out over this

For those that don't know what happened here - Luciano Pavarotti (who my Dad was also a huge mark for) was supposed to perform Nessun Dorma (which is like THE Luciano Pavarotti piece) at the Grammys. Luciano becomes ill during the performance and basically with like 20 minutes notice, Aretha goes "Okay - I will do it"

I wish this version had Sting's introduction as he lays out what is going on all with this look on his face that is all "You fuckers ain't seen nothing yet"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When I think of legendary voices, the first and only person who comes to mind for me is Aretha Franklin.  Don't get me wrong, there are other great singers, but I honestly feel that Aretha is in a class of her own.  She's one of those fundamental building blocks of American popular music, that is somehow underrated while being called the "Queen of Soul."  We always talk about the voice, but she not only wrote but composed some of her biggest hits.  She was considered a child prodigy as a self-taught piano player, who could create complex arrangements that highlighted that otherworldly singing voice.  She was truly an incredible artist.  Rest well, Queen

• Like 2

As a kid, I had no idea who Aretha Franklin was. When Mean Gene would start the Wrestlemania III hype segments by saying "Aretha Franklin will kick things off with America the Beautiful", I thought that was a match featuring two wrestlers I hadn't heard of.

Is there anyone who kept their live performing fastball longer than Aretha Franklin?  I think Stevie Wonder is the only contender, and while he's great he doesn't sing with the sheer force Aretha did.  

In case you haven't noticed, I plan on spending the rest of my workday commenting in this thread.

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is there anyone who kept their live performing fastball longer than Aretha Franklin?  I think Stevie Wonder is the only contender, and while he's great he doesn't sing with the sheer force Aretha did.  

In case you haven't noticed, I plan on spending the rest of my workday commenting in this thread.

I can't imagine who.  She started performing 60 years ago and really only started to lose it in the past few years.

Was Aretha the best singer of the 20th century?  I'm trying to think of anyone that could match her in terms of voice, influence, longevity, and body of work and not really thinking of anyone.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

supreme hates my posts

I'm in my zone man.  I'm just listening to all the Aretha Franklin I can find, and posting as things hit me.  This is one that doesn't get nearly enough love.

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Was Aretha the best singer of the 20th century?  I'm trying to think of anyone that could match her in terms of voice, influence, longevity, and body of work and not really thinking of anyone.

Depends on what you mean by "best singer" - if you are talking best technical prowess then the list is pretty much Aretha

It is when you talk about influence, etc... I feel like Michael Jackson is in the conversation and he is being punished because his doctor killed him.

• Like 1

As far as influence goes, the list starts and ends with James Brown.  You don't really have soul, funk, or hip-hop without him, there isn't anyone else who is the foundational building block of multiple genres of music.  

As far as voices go, it's Aretha #1 and everyone else is playing for second.  

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

As far as influence goes, the list starts and ends with James Brown.  You don't really have soul, funk, or hip-hop without him, there isn't anyone else who is the foundational building block of multiple genres of music.  

As far as voices go, it's Aretha #1 and everyone else is playing for second.  

I think if we're just talking voices then you have to talk about Whitney, too.

James Brown is a really interesting answer that I hadn't considered.

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think if we're just talking voices then you have to talk about Whitney, too.

James Brown is a really interesting answer that I hadn't considered.

This isn't the day for the conversation, but I'd argue that James Brown is the most influential musician who ever lived.  Beethoven, Mozart, Bach....none of them influenced as much change in music as James Brown.  He stands alone as far as influence goes.  Everything that came before him sounded different than everything that came after, and the only catalyst was James Brown being James Brown.