DVDVR Message Board

Best audience reactions you've heard in a movie theater

S.K.o.S.

I think we've had something like this thread before, but whatever.  It was fun then, it'll be fun now.

It's funny that two of the loudest reactions I've heard are for trailers. 

The first was when I saw Clash of the Titans, they had The Expendables trailer in front of it, and everyone flipped out for Bruce, Arnold and Stallone onscreen at the same time.

The second - I can't even remember what the movie was, some genre film, but the theatre was packed.  They showed The Human Centipede trailer, and it seemed to be before most people really knew what it was about.  There's nothing super graphic in the trailer but they do show the diagram of the three people connected together, and the audience lost their minds. Very loud reaction of disgust mixed with "are you kidding me?".  It was pretty great.

Also very notable was a reaction to this documentary called Kings of Pastry, about this competition held once every four years in France where chefs make desserts.  So there are these two chefs practising making this cake, they make it, it's this huge elaborate thing with all kinds of layers and ingredients.  They each have one slice to check how it tastes, they eat it and they're like "Yep, it's good," and then they sweep the remaining 80% of the cake into the garbage.  And the audience goes GWUH.

Brian and I probably have a similar one for the Devil trailer when M. Night's name came on screen and everyone was like "LOL yeah no."

As for reactions to a movie, three come to mind. The first is when Legolas slides down the back and tail of whatever the hell that beast was firing arrows like he had the spread gun in Contra. People in my theater lost their shit for that moment.

The other two are similar. The end of Green Mile and Saving Private Ryan were deathly quiet, except for the sound of everyone sobbing. SPR was the toughest of the two to sit through because it was on opening weekend with a packed house full of veterans.

• Like 1

Paranormal Activity. Full theater. First chunk of the film people are cracking jokes in the back, goofin off and shit. Then she stands over him while he's sleeping. Then the clock fast forwards and it's been...hours. From that point on, no more jokes - everyone was locked in.

Another recent favorite was Room 237(which is on Netflix Instant now). There's a point where a guy mentions Kubrick's face in the clouds and the film shows the moment he's talking about. Everyone in the room was desperately searching for it, and we all failed. Then we laughed at ourselves for failing while nudging people going, "I can't see it, do you?" It was a great communal moment.

• Like 1

Saw Total Recall in Times Square at midnight the Friday it came out. You have never seen a rowdier, higher crowd for a movie. There was a giant HAZE of grass smoke in the whole theater.

As for reactions to a movie, three come to mind. The first is when Legolas slides down the back and tail of whatever the hell that beast was firing arrows like he had the spread gun in Contra. People in my theater lost their shit for that moment.

A very similar thing happened in my theater over Legolas doing that weird reverse hand pull up thing onto the movie horse at the beginning of one of the fight scenes in Two Towers. Everyone's brains just broke.

Jackass 2, somewhere a couple rows behind me: "Dude, don't puke on me!" I heard barfing sounds multiple times in that one.

Night of the Living Dead, some whiny college girl: "It was actually scaaareeeeee." She sounded hurt and confused.

I still think the best crowd reaction ever overall was watching Dead Alive. So much fun. 

I actually got a pretty good reaction at a Scarface late-night showing once. I was pretty drunk and they showed the anti-piracy video before the film, to which I loudly responded "Bootleg that shit!" and got a pop for it haha

Jason X -- a bunch of people spontaneously yelled out, "you gonna die" before each kill. It was hilarious!

Someone fainted from fright at my screening of 28 Days Later.

When Gordon turns over the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins, the whole place went ballistic.

• Like 2

I remember when we went to see the first Mortal Kombat movie...there were these guys in the back of us who'd laugh at every joke and then explain it to the rest of the group.  EVERY TIME.  A little odder was at my viewings of Insidious 2 and Conjuring, people seemed to laugh at non-funny things.  Not everything was even narmy in those films. 

Biggest movie "pops" I've witnessed...

TDK = Joker's pencil trick

Batman Forever (yes...) = the "Holy rusted metal" line.  The audience broke into applause right after the joke. 

South Park: B,L, & U = Bill Gates dies

Honestly, I rarely ever have good reactions from crowds (My friends have come to refer to my family as being cursed as everytime they attend a movie with me, my sister, my brother they always end up with the worst crowds ever).

My personal fave "bad" crowds.

-Seeing 'The Fountain' and 'The New World' in big megaplexes with your typical movie-going (read: not artsy-fartsy) crowd and the genuine feeling of anger and confusion after they were over.  'The New World', I get, because it was advertised as a sorta of romantic new world 'Braveheart' and audiences were not expecting a 2.5 hour meditation on life, love and nature.  'The Fountain' baffled me because the trailer showed you just how non-traditional it was gonna be, but people still went.  Heard quite a few "What the fuck was that?"s after that one ended.

-Seeing 'The Medallion' with my dad and brother and one guy felt the need to bring his 5-year-old.  I was willing to ignore it when the kid asked questions about what was going on and the father answered.  I got fed up when the dad began supplying answers to questions the kid didn't ask.  Finally, when the dad said "He's eating kiwi fruit!" really loudly to an unasked question I went "OHHHH!" really loudly as if I needed the explanation and he piped down for the rest of the film.  Thankfully, the film was shitty. 

-Seeing the first showing of Ang Lee's 'Hulk' was pretty much the worst crowd I've ever seen/heard, it's pretty much legendary amongst my group of friends.  The writing was on the wall when the lights went down and some guy made a huge fart sound to make all his friends laugh.  There was shouting, heckling, cellphones.  The guy down from me was particularly puzzlingly critical, going "That is SO fake" when the Hulk  jumps but having no problem with him being a giant green man who can throw tanks?!  Then, during the part where Hulk saves Jennifer Connelly from the giant mutated dogs and she calls the cops which, you know, pretty much everyone would do if they were just menaced by giant dogs and saved by a giant green man the guy got really mad and called Jennifer Connelly a "Bitch!"

• Like 1

Cinemas round here are dead, have to travel quite a distance to get to a full showing. Know I lost my shit during the Tintin movie, motorcycle chase went on for seemingly forever then his motorcycle broke and he used it as a zipline...my inner child decided to come out, actually wanted to stand and applaud. Don't know much about Spielberg, but say what you want about him, the man must have been chased as a child.

Can't remember what big summer blockbuster it was, but they had a preview for the movie "Blood & Chocolate" that had people DYING laughing in the theatre.

Also seeing Barbershop in a movie theatre on opening night, when the chubby guy absolutely drills Eve's boyfriend in the face the entire theatre went insane.

Also after the first Fast & The Furious movie and everyone going insane racing down the streets at two in the morning.

• Like 1

When I saw "The Dark Knight Rises" there was this group of Indian people who freaked out when Batman was finally seen on screen. They were clapping and cheering and screaming YEAH BATMAN ALRIGHT! They seemed so happy to finally see Batman again.

The other extreme was "Passion of the Christ", which I saw with my brother, and everyone in front of us, behind us, left and right to us were teenage girls crying.