DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 8/23/18

Taped for Xplosion: Joe Hendry (w/ Grado & Katarina) def. Tyson Dux

Impact Wrestling - Airing August 23, 2018 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

*Eddie Edwards comes out for a promo. Eddie says the last two weeks he's gotten his ass kicked by Austin Aries & Killer Kross and he's once again looking for a fight. He says a lot of people call him crazy but he loves what he's become. Eddie says either Kross & Aries come out and fight or he'll come find them. Aries & Kross come out. Aries talks on the mic until Eddie punches him down then Kross takes out Eddie allowing Aries to beat him down until Moose returns to make the save.

*Matt Sydal def. Zachary Wentz

*KM & Fallah Bahh def. The Desi Hit Squad (Gursinder Singh & Rohit Raju w/ The Great Gama Singh) when Bahh hit the Banzai Drop

*Kiera Hogan (w/ Allie) def. Alisha Edwards. After the match, Allie told Kiera she was proud of her then cut a promo saying that her purpose is to put an end to Su Yung but every time she tries to do that, she has to look out for Tessa Blanchard so she challenges them to a triple threat match next week.

*Brandon Tidwell & Mr. Atlantis def. The Cult of Lee (Trevor Lee & Caleb Konley) (w/ Eli Drake) when Tidwell pinned Caleb with a rollup while Trevor was distracted outside.

*Sami Callihan def. Pentagon Jr. in a Mexican Death Match after a top rope piledriver through a table

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll have to see how it plays out on tv, but the Moose turn seems very Russo-rific. Unless of course, Moose is luring Aries and Kross into a false sense of security and he's actually swerving them.

They’re down to 168k ppl watching the show. I’d argue they need some russo-rific-ness at this point

About time we got some angle progression. 

Long time lurker, first-time poster....

I made it out to the tapings tonight and it was an absolute blast. The X Division Title Match was the best match of the bunch for this episode, although they really haven't done much to make Cage's character all that compelling. My guess is he runs through the trio of Aries/Kross/Moose to eventually win the gold, but who knows how they get there.

Re: the Moose turn, the crowd ate it up and it should play well on TV, with the post-turn attack drawing a ton of heat. I agree that the follow up is key, but it was a legit surprise that worked for the live audience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thibs said:

They’re down to 168k ppl watching the show. I’d argue they need some russo-rific-ness at this point

About time we got some angle progression. 

I'm willing to give it a chance. I hope it plays out better than it sounds.

• Like 1

Long time lurker, first-time poster....

I made it out to the tapings tonight and it was an absolute blast. The X Division Title Match was the best match of the bunch for this episode, although they really haven't done much to make Cage's character all that compelling. My guess is he runs through the trio of Aries/Kross/Moose to eventually win the gold, but who knows how they get there.

Re: the Moose turn, the crowd ate it up and it should play well on TV, with the post-turn attack drawing a ton of heat. I agree that the follow up is key, but it was a legit surprise that worked for the live audience.

Awesome to hear! The Moose thing is most intriguing stuff they’ve done in a while. And I agree with you on Cage. 

How was the crowd energy? And how many do you think were in attendance?

10 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Awesome to hear! The Moose thing is most intriguing stuff they’ve done in a while. And I agree with you on Cage. 

How was the crowd energy? And how many do you think were in attendance?

Crowd energy was great from top to bottom, although there were a few moments where things died down a bit (Kiera Hogan match, for one). We all know that getting out of Orlando has helped the product, being at Rebel for the tapings is really something else. I've been to the venue for concerts and to go clubbing when I was younger, but the space is truly something else. 

Can't really gauge a number of people there, although all available seats were taken and they kept adding rows of chairs as the event went on behind the hard camera.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll have to see how it plays out on tv, but the Moose turn seems very Russo-rific. Unless of course, Moose is luring Aries and Kross into a false sense of security and he's actually swerving them.

Not so much Russo-riffic as it seems to be Heyman-esque ECW booking.  Eddie is Impact's Tommy Dreamer and in proper Paul E fashion, the bookers are stacking the deck against Edwards by putting a huge stable in between him and Aries.

The downside to this is that Heyman usually kept the titles on the heel champion for sake of heat and to protect the belt from random title changes, so I am not terribly sure this road of adversity will end with Eddie beating Austin for the title.

• Like 2

Speaking of ECW, it would be totally hilarious if they book Bound for Glory like CyberSlam and have Eddie win the belt after weeks (which would actually be hours in Impact time) of chasing Aries only to have Eddie drop the title minutes later to Kross or Moose.

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

Sooo, The OG'z killed a kid. That was something. 

My favorite part; despite a child being run over, you don't hear one person yell to call the police or an ambulance. Not to get into a racial thing, but that's exactly how it is. I've spent enough time buying blow in shitty neighborhoods and the last thing people that live there want is the police around, and it would take something really extreme for the cops to be called. I guess a kid being run over would do it.

I think my favorite part of the show was Jake Crist miming everything Sami did in the oVe promo early in the show, that was hilarious. Mexican Deathmatch was a fun garbage brawl main event. Always dig segments in unique settings like the Johnny/Kongo poolside fight. Kiera/Alisha was a pretty good little match, always enjoy Alisha in the ring a lot. Eli's reactions to Trevor and Caleb were the best.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Sooo, The OG'z killed a kid. That was something. 

But they were also able to get his dying moments from his own point of view, too, which is pretty impressive!

Matthews trying to sell that Angle was hilarious  

Speaking of Matthews, he can stop saying Kiera “using her ASS-ets” now.  It wasn’t funny the first time , it’s still not funny. 

Scarlett making Grado poledance for her while one creepy guy watches would be the weirdest thing on any wrestling show of the week if not for the aforementioned vehicular infanticide  

After the recent OVE-Lucha Bros carnage, tonight’s match (Save the stapling) was rather subdued, really.  There’s something very New Jack-ish of Callihan. He’s super over, tons of heat, completely compelling to watch but also rather dangerous to his opponents , too.  Like we all know the Edwards bat incident but tonight he went to power bomb Pentagon on chairs but almost completely missed them and Pentagon landed HARD.  It makes things exciting because you’re never really sure what’s going to happen but I’m pretty worried he’s going to injure someone bad soon.  That said, he’s probably my favourite thing in wrestling right now and I never thought I’d say that. ROH should pay him all kinds of money to come in with OVE and fight the Bullet Club. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, caley said:

ROH should pay him all kinds of money to come in with OVE and fight the Bullet Club. 

I would be so into Bullet Club vs. oVe. My preferred Bullet Club trio would the Young Bucks and Marty Scurll. (me wanting to see The Villain involved...shocking I know)

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My favorite part; despite a child being run over, you don't hear one person yell to call the police or an ambulance. Not to get into a racial thing, but that's exactly how it is. I've spent enough time buying blow in shitty neighborhoods and the last thing people that live there want is the police around, and it would take something really extreme for the cops to be called. I guess a kid being run over would do it.

I was more impressed that they could run over a person, killed them (from the looks of it), and not make a damn sound.  Can you put a silencer on a car these days?  Or are we finding out that the kid was actually a ghost and they somehow killed a dead person

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would be so into Bullet Club vs. oVe. My preferred Bullet Club trio would the Young Bucks and Marty Scurll. (me wanting to see The Villain involved...shocking I know)

Villain’s cheating heel-ish tendencies vs. Callihan’s Dirtbag heel cheating would be fun. 

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

I was more impressed that they could run over a person, killed them (from the looks of it), and not make a damn sound.  Can you put a silencer on a car these days?  Or are we finding out that the kid was actually a ghost and they somehow killed a dead person

I am all onboard for Impact introducing a ghost boy character. Maybe it’s Su Yung’s undead bastard child!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, caley said:

Villain’s cheating heel-ish tendencies vs. Callihan’s Dirtbag heel cheating would be fun. 

I am all onboard for Impact introducing a ghost boy character. Maybe it’s Su Yung’s undead bastard child!

Yes for both!

Should I just skip these threads until the whole run of shows from this set of tapings have run? Because unfortunately, I’ve been spoiled on a big angle for presumably next week. 

Maybe in the future one giant catch-all spoiler thread and then post-show threads when these air?

If it’s only me though, I’ll find a way to suffer in silence. I know DreamBroken normally drives the Impact discussion, so I’ll leave it to his discretion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caley said:

If the show was still on Destination America this would be an actual thing and not just your fantasy booking. 

• Haha 1

Loved this show, in particular how they cut from an "ACTUAL" death almost straight into a Mexican Death Match (where no one died).

if this somehow brings Ron Killings back to Impact with Little Jimmy to team up with Konnan and the ghost kid as 3 Dead Kru then I'm all for it.

That Grado bit had all kinds of twin peaks weird vibes about it.

the sight of Kongo Kong tearing into the pool was something else.

• Like 1