DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana sues CM Punk

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Thank you for the compliment :)

Some folks are definitely assholes, but often there's a deeply rooted reason for why they're an asshole. Personally, I like to look more into the reasons for why they became the way they are, moreso than writing them off. The human psyche is so complex, and we don't think enough about mental health and how small things can cause major changes in one's life.

Okay, neither of us have ever been WWE Champ or multi-millionaires before turning forty. However, and I say this as someone who was hugely entertained by CM Punk going back to his indy days and legendary match-ups with Super Dragon in PWG out in Cali. For someone who basically got the brass ring handed to them CM Punk has behaved very much like a certain extremely talented baseball pitcher whom I grew to have little use for as a person. The player? Roger fuckin' Clemens, just possibly the most joyless prick to have ever donned a major league uniform (and believe me, that covers quite a bit of ground when you consider that I had the displeasure of making the acquaintances Of Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey jr. and Alex Rodriguez). 

Let's see, some dream gigs that Punk's wrestling celebrity opened the door for: Writing a comic or two for Marvel? Hey, I've been writing professionally most of my adult life and can guarantee you that I've forgotten more Marvel history than Phil Brooks will ever learn, but you know what? I wasn't the WWE champ for over a year, so apparently the good folks at Marvel can't find my phone number... Oh, how about an instant signing with UFC? Despite being to all apparent evidence completely untrainable and clueless as to the most basic elements of throwing a strike, Brooks got to sashay in to two highly publicized matches that were an abysmal embarrassment.  C'mon, the man is a professional athlete in his late thirties, I limp around on two bad knees and a bad back and I guarantee you that in an MMA match with Punk, this 61 year-old former Muay Thai practitioner would have him looking up at the lights wondering where that baseball bat came from (that would be my shin connecting with the side of his head.)  In short, all of the things that he seemingly has professed interest in seem to bring him very little joy. 

No, I haven't walked a mile in his shoes, I was just thinking about one-time close friends that I've fallen out of touch with, one really good buddy ended up moving to Portland from Seattle, the responsibilities of parent-hood understandably took over (see Doug and I are within three months of each other, but in my case, Kathy's sons from a previous marriage were already in their late teens when Doug's first daughter was born, a second followed two years later and I'm out there playing ball with my step-sons and he's selecting pre-schools, just not a lot of commonality any longer.) 

I may have mentioned a time or two that I quit drinking just over thirty years ago, but guess what? I've never shut the door on any friends who drink, it was my problem, not theirs, our former next door neighbor who now lives in Vegas was in town Friday, yeah, Ramsey drinks, he never can seem to wrap his head around the idea that we don't, but it's not a big deal. One of these days I might surprise him by stocking up a six-pack so when he asks for a beer, I'll surprise the fuck out of him.  No, scratch that, my useless brother-in-law would find it and that's a problem I don't need. ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, Stefanie the Human said:

Not to play internet therapist, but Punk has long had issues of trust based on his own documentary and what he's been willing to admit publicly. In addition, Punk was also arguably on top of his profession for a long time, from indy darling to being a top guy in WWE. If you take someone who already has trust issues before he even reaches fame, then put him in a spot where it's almost impossible to trust anyone, I could understand where his brain started to unravel and where he just stopped being willing to talk to anyone. And the one guy in wrestling he was willing to talk to, Colt Cabana, ends up going to a WWE show after Punk spills everything he went through. I could see someone with Punk's mindset not wanting to maintain that connection, especially since he's trying to get away from wrestling and Colt's wrestling crazy. Going back to @Marty Sugar's point he made about people who want to escape a scene so badly that they give up everything from it, I really think that was where Punk's mindset was. I could see Punk holding onto the friendship with Colt because they had known each other for so long, but I could also see why Punk cut those ties when Colt went to that show. Considering Punk's background being so tumultuous, I could see him craving the kind of life where he stays home and spends time with his wife. And Punk seems like the kind of guy that decides "you know what, I'm done" and doesn't try to drag it out.

I find myself nodding and agreeing with the bolded sections both professionally and personally. I don't know if I can buy the "he's a user" angle here. To me it's more like someone losing trust in another person and instead of dramatically dragging something out, just dropping them instead. Am I against that approach? No. Has it done it to a lot of people? Possibly. Did all of them deserve it? No.

Ironic that some actual good work from Bix didn't even make it to an article and wound up in a Reddit post instead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/96tks1/since_people_keep_getting_a_lot_wrong_here_are/

This is more from the lawsuit filing and after reading this, I don't see how Colt loses. Maybe he doesn't win the full $1 million he's looking for, but there looks to be far more evidence supporting Colt's claims than many of us initially believed. Someone in the comments also broke out a couple of the paragraphs from the filing to highlight something missed by a lot of people - Punk didn't want Colt using outside counsel to prevent Colt from settling out of court. Basically, he wanted to beat WWE so much in court that he fucked over his former friend.

Yeah, I read through the complaints and exhibits Bix posted on Twitter, and Colt seems to have a pretty good case. (The 1 million he’s seeking is in punitive damages, which aren’t designed to cover losses, but to punish the wrongdoer.) Presumably Punk’s answer will try to paint Colt in a bad light some how, but I also assume Colt has additional evidence to back up his theory that Punk was afraid of him settling/cooperating with Amann.

I’m not licensed in California or Illinois, but generally speaking, I think there’s a case to be made that the original attorneys should have been conflicted out of representing Colt or Punk. They also won’t be able to represent Punk in this case.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:58 PM, The Green Meanie said:

I find myself nodding and agreeing with the bolded sections both professionally and personally. I don't know if I can buy the "he's a user" angle here. To me it's more like someone losing trust in another person and instead of dramatically dragging something out, just dropping them instead. Am I against that approach? No. Has it done it to a lot of people? Possibly. Did all of them deserve it? No.

Well its not cutting off friends. Its lying to a friend and tricking them into spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to settle a grudge. That is being a flat out piece of shit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 6:46 PM, Victator said:

I don't care for Colt as a personality or Punk as a person. But I feel like if I got my friend into a mess like this, I would want to pay his legal fees if II had the money. 

Several pages into this thread about CM Punk and nobody noticed Vic said he doesn't like Colt's personality? 

Using the Star of David on some merch and embracing his heritage is slightly different than Colt making a joke about his WWE name being right on the nose for a "Jewish" wrestler. It wasn't his choice. If you want to complain about names, go with David Starr.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ace Steel needs to be the Miss Elizabeth to Punk and Cabana's Hogan and Savage.

Is Punk the Hogan here? If so, he may need a countdown to know when it’s Clobberin’ Teeizime. 

• Like 1

Poor old colt. Say what you want about him as a personality, but in the past decade he has 

- landed his dream job at WWE in the darkest days of developmental

- lasted 5 minutes on the main roster before being booted

- thrown his hat in with NOAH just as all his gaijin buddies start their ascent in NJPW in one of the hottest acts for years

- sees WWE developmental turn into ‘Indy darling’ fed and all his other buddies like Kevin Owens make it big, the door firmly closed to him because of...

- giving a platform to his burned out best friend to rant about WWE, earning its ire and the stress of a court date

- having a little comfort that his rich best friend would cover substantial portion of legal costs, before going back on his promise

- having to sue his best friend as a last resort to get back the legal costs

Yes this is glossing over the announcing/ other success he’s had, but it still feels like a couple of different choices (or made at different times) would have landed him in a much better place.

• Like 6