DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana sues CM Punk

1 minute ago, evilwaldo said:

AJ must put up with so much shit.

Funnily enough, I don't think she does. I think they're a good match for each other and they're clearly that example where they're each their best friend. She also talks about doing stuff with her own friends enough so it doesn't seem like there's any jealousy issues. I honestly believe they're a good couple together and if that's what works for them, then so be it. More power to them. But damn, don't burn all of your other friendships along the way.

And what Betsy said is super sad and I think she's right. 

I could totally see Colt get a job at the PC in the future even with the case in the past. He has a proven track record of being a worker who fornhis faults has been successful around the world and is a guy who could also teach you ger wreslters about maintaining a brand both in and out of the ring amd wwe system.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Like I said, I just don't get it. My closest friends, people I consider family, were the friends I made back in freshman year of high school. That was over 20 years ago. I can't even begin to imagine cutting any of them out for the dumbest of reasons.

Here's another thought...Some of us have known that friend who started dating someone, married them, and then you never saw them again or you didn't see them again for years. Maybe that wife didn't want you to be associated with those friends or maybe you suddenly felt more loyalty to your wife than your friends and you don't know how to balance the two. Does anyone think some of this could be getting married and then saying screw everyone else? Or maybe he thinks he knows those friends are a bad influence that could cause him to make poor decisions? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all of this.

Not to play internet therapist, but Punk has long had issues of trust based on his own documentary and what he's been willing to admit publicly. In addition, Punk was also arguably on top of his profession for a long time, from indy darling to being a top guy in WWE. If you take someone who already has trust issues before he even reaches fame, then put him in a spot where it's almost impossible to trust anyone, I could understand where his brain started to unravel and where he just stopped being willing to talk to anyone. And the one guy in wrestling he was willing to talk to, Colt Cabana, ends up going to a WWE show after Punk spills everything he went through. I could see someone with Punk's mindset not wanting to maintain that connection, especially since he's trying to get away from wrestling and Colt's wrestling crazy. Going back to @Marty Sugar's point he made about people who want to escape a scene so badly that they give up everything from it, I really think that was where Punk's mindset was. I could see Punk holding onto the friendship with Colt because they had known each other for so long, but I could also see why Punk cut those ties when Colt went to that show. Considering Punk's background being so tumultuous, I could see him craving the kind of life where he stays home and spends time with his wife. And Punk seems like the kind of guy that decides "you know what, I'm done" and doesn't try to drag it out.

I don't think we can judge how we handle our interpersonal relationships the same way as how someone with Punk's history would handle his. It's very much an apples to oranges comparison, especially since none of us are former WWE champions (that I'm aware of). Things in life can change what we want out of it, including our relationships with other people. I mean, I don't think I could imagine still talking with anyone I knew 20 years ago. I don't wish them any ill will, I just don't talk to them anymore because we don't have anything we share anymore. I'm a different person in a lot of ways, from my interests to what time I go to sleep, compared to who I was even 10 years ago. I admire people that maintain lifelong connections, but for someone like me, it feels pretty difficult considering how much my life was topsy-turvy for a long, long time.

7 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Not to play internet therapist, but Punk has long had issues of trust based on his own documentary and what he's been willing to admit publicly. In addition, Punk was also arguably on top of his profession for a long time, from indy darling to being a top guy in WWE. If you take someone who already has trust issues before he even reaches fame, then put him in a spot where it's almost impossible to trust anyone, I could understand where his brain started to unravel and where he just stopped being willing to talk to anyone. And the one guy in wrestling he was willing to talk to, Colt Cabana, ends up going to a WWE show after Punk spills everything he went through. I could see someone with Punk's mindset not wanting to maintain that connection, especially since he's trying to get away from wrestling and Colt's wrestling crazy. Going back to @Marty Sugar's point he made about people who want to escape a scene so badly that they give up everything from it, I really think that was where Punk's mindset was. I could see Punk holding onto the friendship with Colt because they had known each other for so long, but I could also see why Punk cut those ties when Colt went to that show. Considering Punk's background being so tumultuous, I could see him craving the kind of life where he stays home and spends time with his wife. And Punk seems like the kind of guy that decides "you know what, I'm done" and doesn't try to drag it out.

I don't think we can judge how we handle our interpersonal relationships the same way as how someone with Punk's history would handle his. It's very much an apples to oranges comparison, especially since none of us are former WWE champions (that I'm aware of). Things in life can change what we want out of it, including our relationships with other people. I mean, I don't think I could imagine still talking with anyone I knew 20 years ago. I don't wish them any ill will, I just don't talk to them anymore because we don't have anything we share anymore. I'm a different person in a lot of ways, from my interests to what time I go to sleep, compared to who I was even 10 years ago. I admire people that maintain lifelong connections, but for someone like me, it feels pretty difficult considering how much my life was topsy-turvy for a long, long time.

I don't see how anything in Punk's background justifies him treating people like shit.  You can say it explains it, but that is it.

I think @Betsy Zeidler nailed it. Punk is a user and once somebody is used up, he tosses them aside. Punk used Colt to survive the trial and he tossed him aside. 

I that is where the anger with Vince and HHH lies. Those were the only two people in his mind, he was never able to manipulate into giving him what he wanted. I think when you hear him speak. He thinks he was

AJ doesn't really come off as the kind of woman that would take much shit. 

The whole thing is sad. I mean, Amann's lawsuit probably doesn't quite reach the level of being frivolous, but it was damn sure a long shot. And the fact that it apparently cost the two of them combined over a million dollars if I'm doing the math right (the $500,000+ Punk already paid, the $200,000 Colt wants him to pay, and the $300,000 Punk still owes) is really scary. I mean, I know they probably could've hired cheaper lawyers, but it's the kind of thing that makes you wonder how you'd possibly handle a lawsuit against you. 

3 hours ago, Victator said:

I don't see how anything in Punk's background justifies him treating people like shit.  You can say it explains it, but that is it.

I think @Betsy Zeidler nailed it. Punk is a user and once somebody is used up, he tosses them aside. Punk used Colt to survive the trial and he tossed him aside.

I'm not judging him for his actions, either celebrating them or condemning them. What I'm saying is that I can understand his viewpoint, even if I wouldn't have taken the same tact. I just know that he left a job and decided he didn't want to speak to anyone who was still there. Considering some of the circumstances (such as saving Joey Mercury from losing his house, to having Mercury turn around and tell WWE management that Punk was working out on an injured knee and thus was ready to return when Punk was trying to feel out where his knee was at), I understand why he stopped. I would imagine that if Punk was using Colt to survive the trial, he would've waited until after the trial to toss him aside. He tossed him aside mid-trial, and based off what we know, Colt was trying to salvage things by sticking around until it was over.

I don't feel comfortable calling Punk a user, though. I don't know enough about his situation and his relationships with non-wrestlers to say that. To me, a user is someone who emotionally manipulates people into getting what they want, whether it's financial, emotional, or physical. Punk certainly has traits of being a user, I'll agree, but I don't know if I can say that he definitely is one. What I see from Punk strikes me that he is a fiercely loyal person, but to very few people. He's careful about who he lets get close because it often turns out poorly for whatever reason. He also doesn't appear to like social media, which is how most of his contemporaries seem to communicate and/or try to sway him into action by using the court of public opinion (see how Corey Graves acted after Punk lost his second UFC fight).

I'm not trying to defend his actions. But I can definitely understand why he took them, even if I don't agree with the way he took them. Hopefully that makes sense. Punk, to me, seems to be emotionally complex, and emotionally complex people are often painted with a negative brush.

2 hours ago, Player One said:

I had no idea this many people on the board Punk and Cabana personally and knew enough about their relationships and personalities to have insight into what caused their falling out.

You put on the circus, people are going to buy tickets. 

Well in theory, circus as live entertainment has not been profitable in years. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 5:56 AM, Stefanie the Human said:

I'm not judging him for his actions, either celebrating them or condemning them. What I'm saying is that I can understand his viewpoint, even if I wouldn't have taken the same tact. I just know that he left a job and decided he didn't want to speak to anyone who was still there. Considering some of the circumstances (such as saving Joey Mercury from losing his house, to having Mercury turn around and tell WWE management that Punk was working out on an injured knee and thus was ready to return when Punk was trying to feel out where his knee was at), I understand why he stopped. I would imagine that if Punk was using Colt to survive the trial, he would've waited until after the trial to toss him aside. He tossed him aside mid-trial, and based off what we know, Colt was trying to salvage things by sticking around until it was over.

I don't feel comfortable calling Punk a user, though. I don't know enough about his situation and his relationships with non-wrestlers to say that. To me, a user is someone who emotionally manipulates people into getting what they want, whether it's financial, emotional, or physical. Punk certainly has traits of being a user, I'll agree, but I don't know if I can say that he definitely is one. What I see from Punk strikes me that he is a fiercely loyal person, but to very few people. He's careful about who he lets get close because it often turns out poorly for whatever reason. He also doesn't appear to like social media, which is how most of his contemporaries seem to communicate and/or try to sway him into action by using the court of public opinion (see how Corey Graves acted after Punk lost his second UFC fight).

I'm not trying to defend his actions. But I can definitely understand why he took them, even if I don't agree with the way he took them. Hopefully that makes sense. Punk, to me, seems to be emotionally complex, and emotionally complex people are often painted with a negative brush.

A very well thought out post and while reflecting over your points I keep coming up to the Occam's Razor ieef you weeel... Sometime's a complex person is painted with a negative brush because of their very complexity. Other times, an asshole is just an asshole.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OSJ said:

A very well thought out post and while reflecting over your points I keep coming up to the Occam's Razor ieef you weeel... Sometime's a complex person is painted with a negative brush because of their very complexity. Other times, an asshole is just an asshole.

Thank you for the compliment :)

Some folks are definitely assholes, but often there's a deeply rooted reason for why they're an asshole. Personally, I like to look more into the reasons for why they became the way they are, moreso than writing them off. The human psyche is so complex, and we don't think enough about mental health and how small things can cause major changes in one's life.