DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana sues CM Punk

I hate seeing money come between people. Money tore my closest family members apart. It's a long story, but about a month ago, my aunt (mom's sister and yia yia's oldest daughter) passed away at the age of 66. My aunt and her daughter stopped speaking to us, so we didn't even know she was sick for the past two years, lost the ability to speak, and died on hospice care, so we never got the chance to make peace. My 90 year old grandmother has outlived her husband and two of her three children. The point of my story, make amends even if it means swallowing your pride and admitting guilt because none of us know when our time is up. Don't take ill feelings to the grave, especially over money. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Has anyone burnt more bridges in the business than Phil? 

Wrestlers have a bad habit of getting sucked back into the business when they try to leave. Some, to ensure they get away, will be as shitty as possible to everyone they know in the business so as to forcibly ostracize themselves. I've seen it happen, and I've seen local musicians do it, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Victator said:

I don't care for Colt as a personality or Punk as a person. But I feel like if I got my friend into a mess like this, I would want to pay his legal fees if II had the money. 

I do wonder why Dr.Z-Pac does not have to pay the legal fees.

I don't want to be preachy, but out legal system is a joke. If Punk and Colt were poor, they would have lost their case. Merit does not matter. 

Outside some statutory exceptions, the loser doesn’t pay for attorney fees unless the suit is frivolous, and a suit isn’t frivolous just because it loses at trial.

If losers did have to pay, then you’d have the reverse situation play out as well, where people with legitimate claims would hesitate to bring them due to worries about being able to afford fees if they lost.

This particular suit never should have made it to trial, but that’s what happens when you incredibly stubborn people on both sides.

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wow.

Honestly, this bums me out. I don't like it when long time friends have a falling out and this one now looks particularly ugly.

I tried defending their falling out in the past saying it wasn't true probably in part because I didn't want to believe Punk was that mercurial and that such long time friends would split. I was wrong ?

Well thankfully Punk has his MMA career to fall back on... Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week, try the waitress and tip the veal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Has anyone burnt more bridges in the business than Phil? 

Cornette?  Someone else mentioned the "you say you met an asshole in the morning" axiom here, and Cornette fits that to a T.  It's always the same story with him:

1. Get a job (working for a promotion, doing a podcast, etc)
  2. After some success, it goes up in flames spectacularly and they part ways
  3. Cornette has nothing but bad shit to say about his past employer/business partner
  4. Rinse, repeat

Somehow, Cornette always ends up working with assholes.  That's so weird.  ?

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I don't think he is a jerk to every person.  Just people that are 100% loyal to him.  very Trump-like if you ask me

I think this is what stands out to me the most. The timeline looks like this...He leaves WWE and marries April at about the same time. Then almost immediately he cuts ties with everyone he was close to: Kofi, Jericho, Swaggle (maybe this one is a stretch), etc. He basically ghosts all of these people, but stays connected with Colt. Then he shuns Colt and pretty much fucks Colt over. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around how someone can just coldly cut out anyone in their life they were close to, even though they didn't do anything to him, because of wrestling. It's not even as if wrestling was that bad to him. Oh boo fucking hoo, Vince didn't keep his promises and HHH didn't believe in him. He still was a part of one of the best modern angles in wrestling, they trusted him enough to hold the title for 400+ days, he's made millions, he developed close connections during that time, he met his wife during that time, but yeah, wrestling is totally fucking evil enough to just shun anyone and everything that has to do with it. Wrestling didn't fuck Punk over, WWE did. For fucks sake, he left for WWE and ROH rewarded him with a title run and one of their most memorable angles.

Like I said, I just don't get it. My closest friends, people I consider family, were the friends I made back in freshman year of high school. That was over 20 years ago. I can't even begin to imagine cutting any of them out for the dumbest of reasons.

Here's another thought...Some of us have known that friend who started dating someone, married them, and then you never saw them again or you didn't see them again for years. Maybe that wife didn't want you to be associated with those friends or maybe you suddenly felt more loyalty to your wife than your friends and you don't know how to balance the two. Does anyone think some of this could be getting married and then saying screw everyone else? Or maybe he thinks he knows those friends are a bad influence that could cause him to make poor decisions? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all of this.

Or maybe it really is as simple as Punk just being a dick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Cornette?  Someone else mentioned the "you say you met an asshole in the morning" axiom here, and Cornette fits that to a T.  It's always the same story with him:

1. Get a job (working for a promotion, doing a podcast, etc)
  2. After some success, it goes up in flames spectacularly and they part ways
  3. Cornette has nothing but bad shit to say about his past employer/business partner
  4. Rinse, repeat

Somehow, Cornette always ends up working with assholes.  That's so weird.  ?

Not really, I mean if you did not pay attention, that is a story you would cobble together. It is easier to digest and that is what most people want. 

But upon closer examination, he ends up hating guys who already have a lot of enemies. Unless you think guys like Jim Herd and Vince Russo are universally loved. Comparing Cornette to Philbert, Cornette has never cut ties with a guy trying to make a living. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Here's another thought...Some of us have known that friend who started dating someone, married them, and then you never saw them again or you didn't see them again for years. Maybe that wife didn't want you to be associated with those friends or maybe you suddenly felt more loyalty to your wife than your friends and you don't know how to balance the two. Does anyone think some of this could be getting married and then saying screw everyone else? Or maybe he thinks he knows those friends are a bad influence that could cause him to make poor decisions? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all of this.

Or maybe it really is as simple as Punk just being a dick.

Yeah something tells me he had the same feelings about loyalty when he was with a ton of other women in the wrestling business before AJ.  Which makes all of this Punk stuff even more ironic  

• Like 1

I once saw a clip from a Mike Tyson interview where he said something to the effect of, people will look back on him and say "Wasn't that a bizarre individual?" And that's pretty much my feeling on this whole situation.

Also I can't find the link I saw on Reddit and I can't remember her name (nor am I sure whether it would be cool to post) but I guess Punks sister was going off about it on Twitter. If you wanna see it I think it was in reply to something said by Lou D'angeli

30 minutes ago, Victator said:

Not really, I mean if you did not pay attention, that is a story you would cobble together. It is easier to digest and that is what most people want. 

But upon closer examination, he ends up hating guys who already have a lot of enemies. Unless you think guys like Jim Herd and Vince Russo are universally loved. Comparing Cornette to Philbert, Cornette has never cut ties with a guy trying to make a living. 

Also, which bridges did Corny burn, exactly? ROH? He's on good enough terms with WWE to appear on their Network content. I know people don't like Corny because he said a bad thing about Kenny Omega or whatever, but I'm not seeing any comparison here. 

• Like 3

I was going to add if he was really determined he could get a job with WWE at the performance center. He left Impact on decent terms. Its hard for people to believe, but he doesn't need or want the work. 

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

justjerks.gif

This is my favorite reference. 

20 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Punk uses people and throws them away, it's not that hard to see.  He got what he needed from Kofi, et al, and when he left wrestling he didn't need them for anything.

When I read the article, I thought Punk has the loyalty of a cat in heat. It is impressive he acts so terribly without the need of alcohol and drugs.

• Like 1