DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2019.

The Natural

Just now, Captain Kronos said:

Sean Penn pissed me off with MILK. Harvey Milk's story is so interesting, iconic, and important. 

And they made a friggin boring movie out of it - but it won him an Oscar, IIRC. 

I still have yet to see Button, Frost, or Reader. 

That's another Oscar botch that year, Sean Penn beating Mickey Rourke for Best Actor.

There have been a lot of had Oscar decisions, but this is the first one that decided it was a good idea to have a white man introduce soul music to a black musician that was a personal friend of Nina Simone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a friend who watched Benjamin Button 36 times. I asked him why, he said "never gets old".

I read that the reason Singer was fired from Bohemian Rhapsody was because he wasn't actually showing up on set, like, at all. So Rami Malek won best actor because he was working with the handicap of not having anyone to explain his motivation or owt. Just the guy who was doing the job Seth Rogen's character does in Disaster Artist. Script Supervisor or some shit.

• Haha 1

Gaga's my all time favorite pop artist so I'm glad she got to win one. Loved the "Shallow" live performance. Star is Born was def my fav movie of the year, excellent performances. That carpool karaoke video is great, always thought Joanne & Artpop were a little underrated.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

I had a friend who watched Benjamin Button 36 times. I asked him why, he said "never gets old".

I read that the reason Singer was fired from Bohemian Rhapsody was because he wasn't actually showing up on set, like, at all. So Rami Malek won best actor because he was working with the handicap of not having anyone to explain his motivation or owt. Just the guy who was doing the job Seth Rogen's character does in Disaster Artist. Script Supervisor or some shit.

I've never understood the fascination with rewarding actors for playing real people.  Especially when someone was in the public eye - and on film - for so long.  On some level, it's as much about playing the character as it is playing to the public's notion of the character.  Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles was not as interesting to me as Paul Giamatti in Sideways.  Same with Philip Seymour Hoffman re: Truman Capote and Heath Ledger's role in Brokeback Mountain.  If I can get over how icky the whole mess of Bohemian Rhapsody seems (more the lack of transparency about the band & Mercury's life/death, not Singer's BS), maybe I'll find I feel the same about this.

Besides, when an actor as good as Rami Malek is playing a person as beloved as Freddie Mercury, I'm reminded of the old saw: "1980s Flair could carry a broomstick to a *** match".  I'm just not sure whether Malek is Flair or the broomstick.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I've never understood the fascination with rewarding actors for playing real people.  Especially when someone was in the public eye - and on film - for so long.  On some level, it's as much about playing the character as it is playing to the public's notion of the character.  Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles was not as interesting to me as Paul Giamatti in Sideways.  Same with Philip Seymour Hoffman re: Truman Capote and Heath Ledger's role in Brokeback Mountain.  If I can get over how icky the whole mess of Bohemian Rhapsody seems (more the lack of transparency about the band & Mercury's life/death, not Singer's BS), maybe I'll find I feel the same about this.

Besides, when an actor as good as Rami Malek is playing a person as beloved as Freddie Mercury, I'm reminded of the old saw: "1980s Flair could carry a broomstick to a *** match".  I'm just not sure whether Malek is Flair or the broomstick.  

Freddie's sure as hell not the broomstick. . . .I've been playing the second south park game lately, and it features the memberberries in it. This was a memberberry Oscar, because it reminded everyone of how awesome Freddie Mercury was. Haven't seen it yet, been meaning too. . .

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There have been a lot of had Oscar decisions, but this is the first one that decided it was a good idea to have a white man introduce soul music to a black musician that was a personal friend of Nina Simone.

Holy shit..and two years ago didn't we have Ryan Gosling explaining jazz to people?

White men, my brothers, let's just stick to explaining Neil Peart solos to our girlfriends like God intended, okay!

Once again reminded that Forrest Whitaker only managed to pull a Golden Globes nom. for Bird.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Goodfellas not winning Best Picture is still the one that grinds my gears...  

While agreeing in hindsight, Dances With Wolves had that zeitgeist thing going for it at the time, so I can understand it winning. 

that was also the year Whoopi won for Ghost, so it was not a totally Old School vote that year. 

That year also had Aardman win for Animated Short. :) 

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There have been a lot of bad Oscar decisions, but this is the first one that decided it was a good idea to have a white man introduce soul music to a black musician that was a personal friend of Nina Simone.

Apparently the movie that won Best Live Action Short this year is about a (white) neo-Nazi getting captured by a group of black people who tattoo his entire body so that he appears to be black.  Um, lol?

There's a kind of hysterical Slate article about it that I won't link.

25 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Apparently the movie that won Best Live Action Short this year is about a (white) neo-Nazi getting captured by a group of black people who tattoo his entire body so that he appears to be black.  Um, lol?

There's a kind of hysterical Slate article about it that I won't link.

I saw them all.   Skin was definitely the most crowd pleasing of the group.   It's hard to classify as anything other than a black comedy (lol), but it is quite good.  

That being said, I think Marguerite should have won, as it legit got me teary eyed.   

And among a crowd of quite rough films, Detainment... (a movie about the murder of 3 year old James Bulger)  well, I don't know what to say about it other than the kids in it were phenomenal actors.  You just felt punched in the gut by the movie, which, given it's ~15 minute runtime was very impressive. 

I'm not sure I've ever heard the Oscar audience groan at an award winner announcement before. 

16 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

FYI, Spiderverse is getting a national rerelease this weekend... so if you haven’t seen it, I recommend it strongly.

Yes, this. Either go see it or buy it on digital or both.

• Like 1