DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2019.

The Natural

12 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I'll be the first to admit that I couldn't pick a Lady Gaga song out of a line-up. But I did listen to the A Star is Born soundtrack and am thinking that maaaaaaybe my old ass should delve further. Am I wrong?

At the risk of going a little OT: To go along with what @Brian Fowlersaid, check out this video to get a taste of her natural voice and a bunch of her hits. Even if you don't like the more dancey ones, scroll to 12:35 for "A Million Reasons".   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grats to Ruth Carter for repping my alma mater, Hampton University, and bringing that fucking golden statue home to the blue and mother fucking white.

YOU CAN'T HIDE THAT PIRATE PRIDE, BITCHES~!

I don't know whose Oscar draught offends me more:  Spike Lee / Best Director or Glenn Close / Best Actress.  At least Spike can no longer say that he's never won for something.

9 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Nothing against Rami but we still live in a world where WILLEM FUCKING DAFOE!!! has never won an Academy Award. #OscarsSoStupid 

I haven't seen many of the movies this year, but out of the clips they showed, his was the best by far. Was routing for Close, but I am glad Coleman won. Am I crazy, but could she and Weiss have changed categories? The Favourite revolved as much around Weiss as Coleman.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I haven't seen many of the movies this year, but out of the clips they showed, his was the best by far. Was routing for Close, but I am glad Coleman won. Am I crazy, but could she and Weiss have changed categories? The Favourite revolved as much around Weiss as Coleman.

Yeah, we talked about that earlier how that's exactly what happened with them taking a chance on Colman being submitted for best actress while submitting Weiss and Stone for supporting actress.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen Green Book but how in the world is Viggo the Best Actor candidate and Mahershala the Best Supporting Actor? The story is about racism in the South but it’s really about the fucking white driver?

No wonder it won. It’s a movie about racism where the hero is the white racist who learns about racism. 

I really don’t care. 

My favorites were Mandy and Annihilation. I’m as out of touch as the average Oscar voter.

• Like 3

I guess I'll finally watch the Queen movie this weekend but, judging solely on the "can you believe this bullshit editing?" clip I saw last week, holy fuck is it insane that 1) this won best editing and 2) Malek won for best actor.  The clip I saw had more unnecessary cuts than a Shield run-in and Malek came off like Austin Powers.  The whole scene looked like it was written and shot by Tommy Wiseau.  Maybe it'll be redeemed by seeing the whole film, but hearing about the movie's portrayal vs actual reality, I'm not hopeful. 

https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112/video/1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Be interesting how the winners and those who didn't will be seen not just now but in years to come. Green Book for Best Picture is really getting slammed and Rami Malek's Best Actor win under criticism.

Still baffled Bradley Cooper wasn't nominated for Best Director. To do all that at your first go is impressive.

10 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

At the risk of going a little OT: To go along with what @Brian Fowlersaid, check out this video to get a taste of her natural voice and a bunch of her hits. Even if you don't like the more dancey ones, scroll to 12:35 for "A Million Reasons".   

Also if you like Star is Born's songs, check out Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real's self-titled album. Lukas (son of Willie, natch) was one of the songwriters and they were the backing band in the film. Gaga sings background on two of the tracks on the album (Carolina & Find Yourself).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Be interesting how the winners and those who didn't will be seen not just now but in years to come. Green Book for Best Picture is really getting slammed and Rami Malek's Best Actor win under criticism.

Still baffled Bradley Cooper wasn't nominated for Best Director. To do all that at your first go is impressive.

You will learn to accept the fact that the current year's Oscars offer the apologies for the crap decisions made in previous years.

The Oscars are the SummerSlam to the Golden Globe's WrestleMania.

The fuckers couldn't even get the Tron Legacy / Best Original Score nomination right, so there is no way I'd expect them to get the big decisions on point.

They did good by my fellow HU alum, so the Academy has earned a brief period of grudging silence from me.

• Thanks 1

I think I have a book that did a "should win/did win" for every year and it was a small percentage of the time that a movie was both.

I always go back to "How Green Was My Valley" beating Kane in 1941. And Rocky being the fifth best film nominated in 1976 and it winning Best Picture. 

• Like 2

Over the years, I have become rather jaded when it comes to Oscars snubs.  I used to be "Well, maybe I should check XXXX out and perhaps I will see what other people saw that swayed them vote for it?" to "XXXX won?  That is complete horseshit."

• Like 1

Can we have a make good to The Dark Knight? The Dark Knight didn't even get Best Picture/Best Director nominations when it should have won both. The Academy really fucked up that year. Dumb fucks.

Best Picture nominees that year: Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon and The Reader. The...Reader...THE FUCKING READER!!!

Natural's Best Picture nominees: The Dark Knight, WALL-E, Let the Right One In, Gran Torino and The Wrestler. 

• Like 1

I saw The Reader.  It's pretty fucking good.

Of course, it was only Kate Winslet's second-best film that year, so there's that, too.

But it got a nomination because both Anthony Minghella & Sydney Pollack were producers, and they died within a couple of months of each other during the prior year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Can we have a make good to The Dark Knight? The Dark Knight didn't even get Best Picture/Best Director nominations when it should have won both. The Academy really fucked up that year. Dumb fucks.

Best Picture nominees that year: Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon and The Reader. The...Reader...THE FUCKING READER!!!

Natural's Best Picture nominees: The Dark Knight, WALL-E, Let the Right One In, Gran Torino and The Wrestler. 

Sean Penn pissed me off with MILK. Harvey Milk's story is so interesting, iconic, and important. 

And they made a friggin boring movie out of it - but it won him an Oscar, IIRC. 

I still have yet to see Button, Frost, or Reader. 

• Like 1