DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2019.

The Natural

The Rock says this:

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/07/the-rock-says-he-was-the-academys-first-choice-for-oscars-host/

Move over, Kevin Hart.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson shared on Twitter that he was actually the Academy’s first choice to host the 2019 Oscars after a fan recommended him for the job.

“If the Academy is so inclined to line up a great host for next year’s Oscars, just pick @TheRock. Nuff said,” the fan tweeted.

As it turned out, his dream for next year’s Oscars wasn’t out of the realm of possibility.

“Ah mahalo dude, I was their first choice to host this year, and my goal was to make it the most fun and entertaining Oscars ever. We all tried hard, but couldn’t make it work since I’m shooting Jumanji,” The Rock, 46, responded, referencing the sequel to his 2017 remake. “Academy and I were super bummed but maybe one day down the road.”

So everyone who is into cancel culture would have had to go back and watch old RAWs from 1998 to see if he'd made any homophobic or sexist jokes (clue: He probably did).

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

So everyone who is into cancel culture would have had to go back and watch old RAWs from 1998 to see if he'd made any homophobic or sexist jokes (clue: He probably did).

Probably?

WWF_The_Music_Volume_5.jpg

I wasn't watching much RAW in 98. And although I watched some of that era a bit later, it didn't really stick with me. I just mentally filed it under 'like ECW but not as good' and moved on.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Probably?

WWF_The_Music_Volume_5.jpg

Yep, you could just trot out the days of "say 'poontang pie' in every bit of mic work" and you'd have a 30-minute montage at least.

Few predictions:

Best Picture: Roma.

Best Actor: Rami Malek. Hoping Christian Bale takes it. 

Best Actress: Olivia Coleman. Tight race between her, Glenn Close and Lady Gaga. Can see Close sneaking it.

Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali. 

Best Supporting Actress: Regina King. Amy Adams misses out once more.

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron.

Hope Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse doesn't fall at the final hurdle for Best Animated Feature. It should have cracked the Best Picture nominees as well.

It's rich that many of the people who are shocked and indignant about this are the same people who've spent the last decade lamenting that The Dark Knight didn't get more attention from the Academy.

Spend long enough pushing for things to be watered down for mass appeal, and this is a logical conclusion.

The Oscars are constantly terrified about being unhip and too long, despite always being one of the most watched non-NFL events on television.

The under three hour thing is a weirdly arbitrary goal, and leaving categories to commercial breaks is insulting. Not having a host... Eh, who cares I guess?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ace said:

I am okay with replacing any host's opening monologue with Queen + Adam Lambert.

So cutting out the hosts and just becoming a big concert?

The Oscars are just trying to take the good parts of music award shows and add in movie awards to it.  I like it.