DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2019.

The Natural

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 6:09 PM, The Natural said:

The Academy trying to make up for stupidly snubbing The Dark Knight for Best Picture first with the extension of Best Picture nominees and now this. The Dark Knight changed the Oscars.

Feels like it's the award for those not good enough to be Best Picture nominees/what an Oscar movie is deemed to be.

I remember when the Best Animated Feature Oscar was introduced, it was to reward them and made it harder to break into the Best Picture category. Wall-E was also robbed of a Best Picture nominee the same year as The Dark Knight.

Ratings ploy.

Couldn't resist using it again:

1303-and-itsgone.jpg?quality=0.8

8 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

So The Academy has backed out of the Popular Achievement category...so now how are they going to explain Black Panther not getting any nominations?

I feel pretty confident Black Panther is going to get a lot of nominations....and then not win any of them.  Maybe a few technical awards that box office blockbusters tend to win.  Whatever wins Best Picture hasn't been released yet most likely.

• 3 months later...

Were I directing, at this point, I'd hire the person with the most boring voice to do absolutely nothing but present every award in a monotone voice, one after the other, with no time for speeches.  You want totally inoffensive, fuck it, here you go.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

Were I directing, at this point, I'd hire the person with the most boring voice to do absolutely nothing but present every award in a monotone voice, one after the other, with no time for speeches.  You want totally inoffensive, fuck it, here you go.  

So Seth Meyers?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Green Book is a good movie, but it was such a safe pick for the GG Best Picture category and IMO not even marginally better than Black KKKlansman.

On that note, I am oddly okay with Alfonso Cuarón getting the GG Best Director nod over Spike Lee.  I think I would also be good with that call if it went down at the Oscars like I expect it to.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I really hope Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse takes home the Academy Award for Best Animated Film but I'm wary with the Academy's track record when it comes to superhero movies. The Dark Knight and the Lego Batman Movie were snubbed especially TDK.

My main interest in seeing if Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse gets a Best Animated Feature Oscar and goes on to win. The only three animated features to break into the Best Film category: Beauty and the Beast, Up and Toy Story. WALL-E certainly should have.

Best Actress seems a battle between Olivia Colman, Lady Gaga and multiple nominees but yet to win in Glenn Close and Amy Adams. Like it to be Gaga even though Close and Adams don't have one yet.

Shallow looks to be the favourite for Best Original Song.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Movies from when we were kids are now classics, Matt.  The sliding window means that they should really be playing a lot more post '75 content than they are, but thankfully don't.

Like how Alice in Chains is on classic rock channels now, sure. "Should" is maybe not the right word there?