DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2019.

The Natural

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

We start early with a new award...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45115581

The Academy trying to make up for stupidly snubbing The Dark Knight for Best Picture first with the extension of Best Picture nominees and now this. The Dark Knight changed the Oscars.

Feels like it's the award for those not good enough to be Best Picture nominees/what an Oscar movie is deemed to be.

I remember when the Best Animated Feature Oscar was introduced, it was to reward them and made it harder to break into the Best Picture category. Wall-E was also robbed of a Best Picture nominee the same year as The Dark Knight.

Ratings ploy.

Did the MPAA really need to create a special category for Black Panther and other critically acclaimed blockbusters?

Does BP really need to win an Oscar in order to cement its legitimacy?

If they really want to acknowledge best performance excellence in a genre that tends to be snubbed they need to watch Toni Collette become a force of nature in the horror / thriller film, Hereditary.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The Academy trying to make up for stupidly snubbing The Dark Knight for Best Picture first with the extension of Best Picture nominees and now this.

This is a bit different than what I was talking about earlier with Black Panther.  BP does not really need to win an Oscar for anything in order for me to believe it is a great movie, but TDK getting snubbed was elitist bullshit.

TDK wasn't just a great superhero movie.  It was a great movie period.  You could see the Academy's "we don't vote for comic book movies" bias a mile away when the nomination list came out.

The Academy had no choice but to put Heath Ledger on the ballot because his performance was the best one of that time period, hands down.. So what if it was a comic book character?

Heath deserved to win that Oscar just like TDK deserved a Best Picture nom and Nolan deserved a Best Director nom.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

This is a bit different than what I was talking about earlier with Black Panther.  BP does not really need to win an Oscar for anything in order for me to believe it is a great movie, but TDK getting snubbed was elitist bullshit.

TDK wasn't just a great superhero movie.  It was a great movie period.  

Heath deserved to win that Oscar just like TDK deserved a Best Picture nom and Nolan deserved a Best Director nom.

Well said, great mate of mine! Forgot to add no Best Director nom for Christopher Nolan was bullshit.

• Thanks 1

This is the funniest stupidest "old white guy" move I've seen in awhile.

90-year-old music professor in 2018 reaching out to the masses: "And so as we appreciate the beauty of Mozart, dear students, I'm reminded of your "Beatles" and other vernacular and ethnic musics that make up such a part of your vibrant youth culture today!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The Incredibles is pretty popular. Let's see if they can botch this stupid idea by just throwing more awards at Pixar. 

That will be "popular animated" category created so that that one yearly Polish cartoon about death can finally win an Oscar.

I actually like the idea.  Look, Best Picture typically flat out excludes a whole bunch of genres - action, horror, comedy, teen movies, whatever else.  If they pick from among the best of that crop, rather than starting from the movies that made the most money, then it sounds pretty fantastic to me.  Remains to be seen what they'll actually do with it.

• Like 1

How do they plan to assign this Oscar? Best box-office numbers? I mean if they plan to have voting by the academy itself this could get really stupid as they would have to define some really strange criteria (like "best movie that you think is kind-of-dumb" or similar).

34 minutes ago, Robert s said:

How do they plan to assign this Oscar?

Put the producers of the top 10 draws in one of those money blowing air machines with the box office gross receipts and whoever comes out with #1 wins. If that doesn’t get the ratings up, then the next year...I don’t know, put some ball bearings in the machine too, I guess? 

• Like 1

The Dark Knight was most definitely a top 5 film of that year but I don't know what to think about this new award.  Lord of the Rings Return of the King won Best Picture did it not?  Avatar was nominated for Best Picture.  If a movie is great and also happens to be really fucking popular,  cool.  

Now what's going to happen is the Best Picture list will be even more elitist and this "Pop" award will be for "all those stupid little movies you common folk like"  

• Like 1

What's funny is if you talk to the actual elitist film snob types, they'll rant all day about how the Oscars recognize mainstream bullshit instead of the actual best movies, how it goes gaga for crowd pleasing bio pics and the like.

There were a lot of movies better than Slumdog Millionaire that year, for sure. But WALL-E was the best movie released that year and if not getting a best picture nom was the travesty.