DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

9 hours ago, Ace said:

I expected Malia Hosaka to get further in her career than she did.

I actually didn't... There was always a certain level of sloppiness to her work that she never seemed able (or perhaps willing) to correct. Lots of things she did very well, and I'm not going to say that she was deliberately unsafe in the ring, but there was a lot of the vibe that I associate with folks like the Steiners and Sami Callihan where you just had a bad feeling that something could very easily go wrong and someone might wind up badly injured. 

Basically, if I'm cringing because of what I see going on in the ring, it means someone is being careless/sloppy and they should knock it the fuck off. I may be hopelessly old school, but the unique thing about the simulated combat that is pro wrestling is that another human being has essentially placed their life and career in your hands and if you can't summon up the respect that this entails then  maybe you should be hanging out at Baloney Joe's on Burnside in Portland, OR with Billy Jack Haynes discussing the latest and greatest in conspiracy theories.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I'm a little weirded out that 16.6667% of the pictures are of the bathroom.  Is that a plus of Shoney's?  The Scott Steiner franchise actually has one?  His equally weird excitement over a claw and gumball machine doesn't help things.  

Having never been to a Shoney's, I can only speculate, but perhaps the bathrooms in others aren't maintained as well as Steiner's.

51 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Did Steiner ever call Samoa Joe "Baloney Joe" during their TNA feud? If not, that's a missed opportunity. Just read it in his voice: "Bloney Joe." The promo practically writes itself.

Come to think of it, I could have easily seen Steiner referring to Joe as "Baloney Tits".

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I found this on Reddit because I was looking to see if Scott Steiner still owned the Shoney's in Acworth, Georgia. I figured I'd share with my DVDVR brethren.

If I have to pick my stalker, I'm going to pick creepy guy who hangs around an airport at 2 AM waiting to approach me over dude who thinks taking pictures of a Shoney's is nearly a religious experience.

19 minutes ago, Player One said:

If I have to pick my stalker, I'm going to pick creepy guy who hangs around an airport at 2 AM waiting to approach me over dude who thinks taking pictures of a Shoney's is nearly a religious experience.

I have to respectfully disagree on that one. We think airport stalkers are just there for autographs, but for we all know the dude could have been planning on knocking Sasha out with a cast on a fake injury with plans of making a skin suit out of her while dancing around in her panties. 

In defense of Shoney's guy, he was with his signifcant other. Obviously, I'm a wrestling fan, or I wouldn't be on this board. Let's say if Steiner decided to buy an IHOP in New Jersey, I'd go and take pictures, especially of the Steiner memorabilia.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Player One said:

Nah man I think that guy was just doing it as a goof. The fact his girlfriends there makes me feel like it's just all in good fun. I know that's probably gonna be construed as some kind of outdated "nerds can't get laid!" hang, but that's just my thought on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Uh, are you sure about that? And don't just quote me, you may as well quote everyone else saying the same. 

I don’t know the person very well, but I read it as mildly amusing. You may know something I don’t.

As for everyone else, I didn’t see those posts. Lots of people on ignore. 

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2018 at 7:52 AM, The Green Meanie said:

You mean you don't already eat there?

A little late on the response but I like them just fine.  But in an effort to lose weight I'm trying to avoid fast food if and when possible.

And while the guy might have goofed around for the Shoney trip I would love to go there.  If there's the slightest chance Scott was hanging around then that would be one helluva experience.  It's almost like how people would go to Abby's when that was around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

maybe you should be hanging out at Baloney Joe's on Burnside in Portland, OR with Billy Jack Haynes discussing the latest and greatest in conspiracy theories.

They shut down Baloney Joes like 30 years ago. Sex trafficking.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can honestly say I've never been to a Shoneys. Is it like a Big Boy or a Perkins or a Bob Evans?

It's like Perkins, but everything comes with a buffet.  Some are kind of a mix of Perkins/Applebees. With a buffet.

1 minute ago, Sammo~! said:

They shut down Baloney Joes like 30 years ago. Sex trafficking.

That's just simply horrible on so many levels...

• Haha 1

Oh man, I loved Shoney's breakfast buffets as a kid, back when I could eat whatever I wanted without gaining weight or getting the runs. 

I haven't stepped into one in twenty years or so, and I know that I can't beat the Shoney's breakfast buffet, so I'm not even gonna try. The chances of me not experiencing post-Shoneys runs and extreme dehydration have drastic gone down over the years. 

• Like 1