DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

7 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Not to go all "death of the author", but if most of your audience hears a certain story, it doesn't much matter what you (think you) told them. It's like a joke, that way: if you have to explain it ex post facto, it didn't work.

Stanley Cavell in the philosophy department at Harvard used to put it this way:

"It no more counts towards the success or failure of a work of art that the artist intended something other than is there, than it counts when the referee is counting over a boxer that the boxer had intended to duck."

Suck on Harvard brain stuff, Road dogg!!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

IN OTHER NEWS...

Road Dogg seems to think the Becky heel turn is going just fine, why do you ask?

He can’t just come out and say look I write the show but if someone above me comes up to me and says get Charlotte in a match with no notice  however you can we don’t care if it make’s sense, isn’t what I tried to do more then that. The truth will only set him free in the literal sense, as in no job. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Stanley Cavell in the philosophy department at Harvard used to put it this way:

"It no more counts towards the success or failure of a work of art that the artist intended something other than is there, than it counts when the referee is counting over a boxer that the boxer had intended to duck."

Suck on Harvard brain stuff, Road dogg!!!!!!

So you're saying, in a metaphorical sense, that Road Dogg and the writers aimed for WWE fans' hearts and instead hit them in their stomachs?

• Like 2

That's what they do, man. They take smiles off faces.

Not only does Impact not have a heel authority figure right now, they have no on screen authority figure at all. The board of directors only made TV for like five seconds, and the camera was behind them.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So you're saying, in a metaphorical sense, that Road Dogg and the writers aimed for WWE fans' hearts and instead hit them in their stomachs?

I'm suddenly struck with unshakable sadness that there was never a wrestling character named The Muckraker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know there's all this talk about Sasha and airport stalkers, but I just can't help but share how wild it is that there's a wrestling fan running the Wendy's Twitter account.

I might end up going there this weekend just because of these tweets.

Fantastic.

They tweeted this previously:

On the subject of poisonous snakes

Back when I was in college the pet store in Alma had a rattler of some sort. My friend had a boa or python or whatever. We went into the reptile room one day, I was just kinda along for the ride. The moment we walked in, the thing reared up, tail rattling, and started striking the wall of it's aquarium head first, hard. *Rattle rattle BOOM rattle rattle BOOM" trying to escape and kill us both. I feel very very confident given the chance it would've chased us all the way out of town in it's efforts to kill.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

That's what they do, man. They take smiles off faces.

Not only does Impact not have a heel authority figure right now, they have no on screen authority figure at all. The board of directors only made TV for like five seconds, and the camera was behind them.

It's not an accident or coincidence that Impact is now actually much more enjoyable than WWE.

• Like 3

H/t to Cageside: this upcoming Raw travel leg sounds like it should be illegal.

• Live event, Sun., Aug. 26: Rochester, New York
  • Monday Night Raw, Mon., Aug. 27: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • Live event, Wed., Aug. 29: London, England
  • Live event, Fri., Aug. 31: Osaka, Japan
  • Live event, Sat., Sept. 1: Shanghai, China
  • Monday Night Raw, Mon., Sept. 3: Cleveland, Ohio

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I can't wait to see him working outside of WWE again. I would love to know what his breaking point with WWE was. Jobbing to Enzo, having one shitty t-shirt available, being relegated to pre-shows, and working in front of dead crowds?

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Little lower, I would think...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That upcoming tour schedule is literally Hogan levels of traveling. 

If somebody is skilled and willing enough to pare that down, how many matches will that roster have wrestled in those days? 

(I can’t word this as eloquentally as I hear it in my mind, but you know what I mean.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

WWF might have most likely died without the attitude era. (Very sure their financials was bad) But WCW probably might have been spared of pure Russso. ECW probably might have tapped into the zeitgeist of the times (market) even more so without the WWF around.

Anyway the current wrestling industry is already a niche market. 

They were in bad shape at the time.  My uncle was an opening match JOTS for the WWE at the Garden in the late 70's/early 80's.  When the NWO happened, Vince called my uncle and asked him if he would come back.  Promised him a new character and an IC title run, maybe more if the character stuck.  My uncle had moved on from wrestling and was working an office job at the time.  Vince called my uncle at his job.  My uncle turned it down because he did not want the travel schedule.  He wanted to be around his wife and kids.  They were more important than the money.

Here is why I will always have a soft spot for Vince.  Instead of thanking my uncle and hanging up, Vince asked about his kids.  Opened up about how much he was scared of Ted Turner with his open pockets.  Vince was terrified of losing his business to TNT/Turner/WCW.  How he did not like doing the Attitude stuff because he did not want Shane and Stephanie to be around that but he felt like he had to do it in order to save his business.  They spent an hour talking about kids, wrestling, and everything under the sun.  

Vince never had to do that, especially for an opening match JOTS.  But he did.  

At the time, Vince was very worried about the WWF.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

That upcoming tour schedule is literally Hogan levels of traveling. 

If somebody is skilled and willing enough to pare that down, how many matches will that roster have wrestled in those days? 

(I can’t word this as eloquentally as I hear it in my mind, but you know what I mean.)

That's almost as bad as flying from New York to Bally's,  back to New York, then to the Golden Nugget and then back to New York again. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's almost as bad as flying from New York to Bally's,  back to New York, then to the Golden Nugget and then back to New York again. 

Right? That’s going full Michael Jordan. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

It’s insane. @Cyanide, what is the Smackdown schedule through that same set of dates, if you don’t mind pasting that as well. 

Poking around the Events page, it looks like the SD crew just has Eastern Canada dates on their Saturday 8/25 to Tuesday 8/28 run, and then Ohio and Michigan shows from 9/1 to 9/4.

So Raw (and Roman, and Ronda) still enjoying the flagship "perks" at the moment...

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Honey badgers are nothing to fuck with, they will attack lions if they're feeling froggy.

Why has no lucha guy used "Honey Badger" as a gimmick, I mean this shit just writes itself...

There is a female wrestler who goes by Regina "Honey" Badger and she also appears to be non-fuckable-with.

Dkz9bSvW0AAg530.jpg

• Like 1