DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Having been once "greeted" by a fan at a convention at 7AM with a box of books for signing, I'm probably not the most objective person when it comes to creepy behavior... Suffice it to say, left to my own devices at a SF or Horror Con, I don't know what 7AM looks like, nor am I very interested in finding out. Anyway, the reason that this goombah showed up at my door (having bullshitted the hotel staff into giving out the room #), instead of at the autograph signing the night before (where I cheerfully shot the shit with folks and signed for over two hours), was quite simply, he felt like having dinner then so he skipped the event that was set up especially for folks like himself that wanted a bunch of stuff signed. To say that I was less than sympathetic to his cause would be somewhat of an understatement. 

That someone can be readily identified as an "airport creeper" really tells you all that you need to know about the person. 

BTW: Taking a dump on GLF is just common sense. I'd forgotten what a contemptible piece of crap he is.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm the guy who took Vic to task over the Jar Jar Binks thing.  I guess I'm just anti Internet backlash beatdown bus bullshit in most cases.  Yes, the airport guy is a shitty person and a creeper, but what if he killed himself after thousands of Beyhive-like Sasha fans came after the guy?  Would that be a deserved end for him?  That's my reasoning behind it.  I don't think it's right that a public figure can direct the full power of a legion of online lunatics to go after a private citizen unless they really deserve it.  "This guy made me uncomfortable at the airport" doesn't qualify, in my book.

Ok, yes, that's fair and I agree with that. I wouldn't want this guy taking his own life either or being driven to that by a bunch of people online. So then the better response to that, if you know who that is, is to just deny them, right? And if you don't know who that person is until you look at their profile after they post a picture with you, then what? Instead of piling on to make fun of him you make a statement saying "I looked at your profile and I don't condone the practice of stalking celebrities?" 

Craigory I was angry at you at first, but now I really do believe you have legit issues with reading comprehension. That you think I thought I was making fun of that man really points to that. That or you're a liar, I could believe either. I said I was doubtful that a film role getting backlash was the sole reason he contemplated suicide. Which if you want to actually speak to mentally ill people who have been suicidal, you will find it is never just one thing. But I would guess you are too self centered to ever think of other people. If you did you could not comprehend what is being said. 

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ok, yes, that's fair and I agree with that. I wouldn't want this guy taking his own life either or being driven to that by a bunch of people online. So then the better response to that, if you know who that is, is to just deny them, right? And if you don't know who that person is until you look at their profile after they post a picture with you, then what? Instead of piling on to make fun of him you make a statement saying "I looked at your profile and I don't condone the practice of stalking celebrities?" 

I'd say just tell the guy you don't sign autographs in airports.  Or sign it and  move on.  If you tell the guy you don't sign autographs at airports and he talks shit on Twitter, by all means unleash the hounds.  But signing the autograph, then talking shit and causing stan backlash after the guy Tweets you to say thanks is absolutely the worst approach.  It's so petty and passive aggressive.  And, as I mentioned, harmful.

If she has a rep as a bit of an asshole, things like this might be why.

• Like 6

Someone else pretty respectfully pointed out to him that Becky had to go on a several week long winning streak to get the non-title match with Carmela, while Charlotte was handed it, and he kinda acknowledged it was true.

So apparently, yes, they think the story they told is that Becky and Charlotte were both given the exact same opportunity, and Becky got jealous that Charlotte made more out of it. 

Not to go all "death of the author", but if most of your audience hears a certain story, it doesn't much matter what you (think you) told them. It's like a joke, that way: if you have to explain it ex post facto, it didn't work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I was wondering about the whole authority figure thing recently. It's just a lazy way to make matches, and a hard spot for them to get out of due to the audience being conditioned into always having an authority figure.

Hell, I've been watching wrestling since 91 and can't remember how feuds and matches happened without some mouthpiece saying so

Since Austin vs Vince was the biggest money making angle of all time, it will never go away and every Fed will lean on it.

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'd say just tell the guy you don't sign autographs in airports.  Or sign it and  move on.  If you tell the guy you don't sign autographs at airports and he talks shit on Twitter, by all means unleash the hounds.  But signing the autograph, then talking shit and causing stan backlash after the guy Tweets you to say thanks is absolutely the worst approach.  It's so petty and passive aggressive.  And, as I mentioned, harmful.

If she has a rep as a bit of an asshole, things like this might be why.

Fandoms are literally the worst in the last few years.  Sites like Reddit have given power to idiots who force their opinions on others just by spending a little money to buy bots who will back up their opinion.

The problem with people in airports, restaurants, etc is entitlement.  They think they are entitled to walk up to a person at any time and demand anything and if you don't agree you are a complete asshole.

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

IN OTHER NEWS...

Road Dogg seems to think the Becky heel turn is going just fine, why do you ask?

Like I said last night, she is working the marks just fine.

59 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Having been once "greeted" by a fan at a convention at 7AM with a box of books for signing

That was me. Your books are huge in Bolivia and I made a killing selling them on eBay! Thanks ?

Just now, sabremike said:

That was me. Your books are huge in Bolivia and I made a killing selling them on eBay! Thanks ?

eBay works in Bolivia?

The best move would have been politely but firmly refusing the guy's request, then being a bit more aggressive about it should they be persistent.  Just because someone is a public figure doesn't give their fans the right to their time and attention 24/7.  The twitter shaming does seem a little overboard, but on the other hand I wonder if it might have been an example they were trying to set to other people who had the same stalkery habits, essentially saying "we don't appreciate it when you fans do this, so knock it off".

As far as Sasha getting a raw deal on the main roster goes, she's held the title four times despite being out with injuries on several occasions (and we've seen what a detriment getting a reputation as being injury prone can do to one's opportunities).  Considering there are only two women's titles on the main roster and that the women get a fraction of the time the men do she's been prominently featured plenty.  Sure she's been in some stinkers of storylines, but nowhere near as bad as some other people.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

As far as Sasha getting a raw deal on the main roster goes, she's held the title four times despite being out with injuries on several occasions (and we've seen what a detriment getting a reputation as being injury prone can do to one's opportunities). 

The injury prone tag for Sasha is weird, considering she's been one of the main roster's workhorses for the last few years: Tenth most matches on the roster in 2017, most women's matches since 2015 (I added 2018 Cagematch data to the linked tweet, which compiles through 2017), etc. It feels like she's just had bad timing when she does get hurt, because the reputation for frailty doesn't mesh with reality at all.

She has only been injured twice. Once was when a ref made some sort of mistake and she was kicked and the other was a back injury that they thought would need time to heal but she was fine in a week. So really, she's been fine.

As for the social media ragging, Sasha has endured much more online bashing than that fan ever did. Everything from the way she looks to her hairline etc. Has been memed and she's been attacked relentlessly over those couple autograph situations. You should try reading the comments people leave her sometime.

So no I don't feel bad for the guy at all. Get thicker skin or get off social media because it's a cesspool and Sasha receives the bad parts every single day. All the wrestlers do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know there's all this talk about Sasha and airport stalkers, but I just can't help but share how wild it is that there's a wrestling fan running the Wendy's Twitter account.

I might end up going there this weekend just because of these tweets.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Is the consensus that the Steiner Math promo is actually an all-time great promo, or do people just laugh at it because of the crazy math?

Delusional heel Steiner doing crazy math to boast about how great he is seems legit all-time amazing, like the type of slightly unhinged promo that stands up there with the best of them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Is the consensus that the Steiner Math promo is actually an all-time great promo, or do people just laugh at it because of the crazy math?

Delusional heel Steiner doing crazy math to boast about how great he is seems legit all-time amazing, like the type of slightly unhinged promo that stands up there with the best of them. 

I swear that I saw a video or a post where someone who is adapt at math broke that promo down and explained it in a way where the math made perfect sense.