DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

If/when WWE decides to sign Strickland, they need to payup for the rights for Ain't Nobody because that entrance is money.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/aaa-releases-triplemania-card-alberto-el-patron-drops-out-event-264291

Alberto El Patron is up there if not top for most bridges burn...it...down. Low-Ki more so.

Is Power Uti still out on bail in the murder case of his wife? If so, get Alberto to Nigeria before Uti is found guilty.

...or Hogan vs. Power Uti in Nigeria. What could go wrong there?

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Does WWE's social media guy post on here? Only asking because I know Mauro is a DVDVR favorite. Amirite? ?

I love Mauro. At times, he definitely reminds me a lot of ECW-era Joey Styles. Real ECW, not WWECW.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

If/when WWE decides to sign Strickland, they need to payup for the rights for Ain't Nobody because that entrance is money.

Hey look, take a mask off dude and he immediately gains +10 charisma!

(Or maybe it's Chaka Khan that makes it a +10 charisma gain?)

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm pretty much already there, but I'm looking forward to watching consensus shift towards "Sasha's kind of a jerk" as the years go by.

Shit like this is a major reason Sasha is by far my favorite women’s wrestler today. It’s rather endearing how much she just doesn’t give a fuck.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is Power Uti still out on bail in the murder case of his wife? If so, get Alberto to Nigeria before Uti is found guilty.

...or Hogan vs. Power Uti in Nigeria. What could go wrong there?

Juana Barraza murdered 40some elderly women, which is scummy even by wrestling standards.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Edwin said:

Does WWE's social media guy post on here? Only asking because I know Mauro is a DVDVR favorite. Amirite? ?

I used to think he was over-the-top because he thought it made for better commentary.  Then I watched his documentary and realized that’s just him. He’s not acting, he’s not putting it on, whether it be wrestling, MMA or boxing, he just lives for that stuff, man.  I honestly don’t think of his enthusiasm is forced; he is just THAT into it.  It’s kind of refreshing, really to see a guy who is that into wrestling.  

• Like 6

I don't know when yelling over everything became the mark of a good announcer - I seem to recall everyone shitting all over several announcers for doing similar things - Dusty, Vince, Crockett, Cole, Don West.

The Joey Styles comparison is spot on (right down to the catchphrase), but I don't look at it as a positive. At least Joey was mostly working alone so his voice wasn't drowning out the rest of his commentary team.

Mauro clearly has a vast amount of knowledge about wrestling and an equal amount of enthusiasm for it.  It's nice to have a commentator with these qualities, but all too often his references and allusions are Family Guy cutaway gag level of being overdone.  Someone else once described his analogies as some square dad trying to sound hip and up to date around his kids, which is also an apt comparison.  He's better than a number of people on commentary these days but I find myself being more annoyed at him than not when the action gets really intense.

Speaking of commentators, Nigel has slowly transitioned to being a color guy during the shows he's on.  I'm not sure if it works or not yet, but I like him being in the booth as a whole.

25 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't know when yelling over everything became the mark of a good announcer

Jim Ross is heralded as one of the great announcers of all time but you listen to his Mid-South/UWF shows HE is SCREAMING CONSTANTLY whenever ANYTHING HAPPENS.  Mauro doesn't hold a candle to Ross losing his voice on air on a regular basis. And it helped get him a job with Crockett (one of the few UWF guys who actually got a career boost) and then WWF.

This isn't new.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Mauro clearly has a vast amount of knowledge about wrestling and an equal amount of enthusiasm for it.  It's nice to have a commentator with these qualities, but all too often his references and allusions are Family Guy cutaway gag level of being overdone.  Someone else once described his analogies as some square dad trying to sound hip and up to date around his kids, which is also an apt comparison.  He's better than a number of people on commentary these days but I find myself being more annoyed at him than not when the action gets really intense.

Speaking of commentators, Nigel has slowly transitioned to being a color guy during the shows he's on.  I'm not sure if it works or not yet, but I like him being in the booth as a whole.

I HATED Nigel’s commentary in ROH and was baffled when WWE signed him to do just that in WWE but he’s slowly won me over.  I actually quite like him now.  

• Like 1