DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

4 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Dave ballsed up and apologised, Vince sexually assaulted a woman at a tanning salon this year, woke WWE stans need to take looooong look in the mirror. 

wasn't the Vince tanning salon thing a story that resurfaced again from years ago? It's semantics, but I remember reading about that in the mid 2000s, like '06 or something?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

wasn't the Vince tanning salon thing a story that resurfaced again from years ago? It's semantics, but I remember reading about that in the mid 2000s, like '06 or something?

Apologies, it was 2006, I read the resurfaced story from this year. 

Genuinely feel that DAVE has atoned here but beating him down is just part of the ignorance of wrestlertwitter (along with defending his wild dickishness). 

Genuinely think if you're a WWE fan you're not in a position to take any moral high ground at all. Not saying don't watch. But in one hour we could collectively rattle off tales that make Vince and senior management look as conspiratorially awful as the Catholic Church. 

It's an awful and exploitative business/artform. Arguably necessarily so. Even your progressive favourites like PROGRESS are in bed with WWE whilst pretending to care about inclusivity. 

Anyway, wasn't Kenny Omege racist three weeks ago? It's gonna blow over. 

31 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Apologies, it was 2006, I read the resurfaced story from this year. 

Genuinely feel that DAVE has atoned here but beating him down is just part of the ignorance of wrestlertwitter (along with defending his wild dickishness). 

Genuinely think if you're a WWE fan you're not in a position to take any moral high ground at all. Not saying don't watch. But in one hour we could collectively rattle off tales that make Vince and senior management look as conspiratorially awful as the Catholic Church. 

It's an awful and exploitative business/artform. Arguably necessarily so. Even your progressive favourites like PROGRESS are in bed with WWE whilst pretending to care about inclusivity. 

Anyway, wasn't Kenny Omege racist three weeks ago? It's gonna blow over. 

But even those lines say it all as well. 

Being a wrestling fan means turning a blind eye to a lot of bad things. Done by EVERY wrestling promotion. Even the progressive ones...heck, even the holy New Japan has its own skeletons in the closet, so if you defend Meltzer based on "bu, but New Japan has good workratez so it couldn't possibly do anything wrong, and New Japan's prophet as such didn't do anything wrong!", you also need to look at the things they did too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But even those lines say it all as well. 

Being a wrestling fan means turning a blind eye to a lot of bad things. Done by EVERY wrestling promotion. Even the progressive ones...heck, even the holy New Japan has its own skeletons in the closet, so if you defend Meltzer based on "bu, but New Japan has good workratez so it couldn't possibly do anything wrong, and New Japan's prophet as such didn't do anything wrong!", you also need to look at the things they did too. 

yep. Honma's abuse issue, various dojo beatings, Necrobutcher, Elgin, Rich Swann...i even know a tale of a semi-known worker who was notoriously awful to a string of women before getting a break, wrestling is a grimy place. Maybe it will organically change but right now you accept it or you leave or you are on some level hypocritical however well meaning you are

Or maybe everyone in the world is a flawed individual, and part of growing up is realizing everyone in the world, including yourself, is a flawed individual, no one in all of humanity is perfect, putting people on a pedestal is only done to make it hurt that much more when they fall down so you can get the schadenfreude of saying "Just because I think you're better than me, YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME?" while hoping someone doesn't look at the bad things you did in the past- or even perfectly fine or even considered "good" things in the past that became bad things as time marches on, so that someone else can look at you and say "Well, YOU'RE not better than ME!", and just being a fan of something does not necessarily mean you support everything that has ever been done by that people...and even if you ARE somehow that "truly good person" you're just a holier than thou asshole and so you're STILL a bad person. 

Everyone sucks. Watch wrestling. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

yep. Honma's abuse issue, various dojo beatings, Necrobutcher, Elgin, Rich Swann...i even know a tale of a semi-known worker who was notoriously awful to a string of women before getting a break, wrestling is a grimy place. Maybe it will organically change but right now you accept it or you leave or you are on some level hypocritical however well meaning you are

With NJPW, I guess you start with Inoki, even if he doesn’t own the company anymore. 

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

you're just a holier than thou asshole

I'll have you know my asshole is the holiest hole in all of hole-dom.

16 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I’m also pretty uncomfortable with the idea that taking a WWE check necessarily breaks your moral compass, or renders one complicit in all past actions.

Life is a series of compromises from the day we are born to the day we die. 

But honestly, it is not Dave Meltzer pressuring women to get implants while also expecting them to wrestle a more dangerous style. 

47 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

He sounds like kind of a dick

He's a heel, he should be. 

39 minutes ago, Victator said:

Life is a series of compromises from the day we are born to the day we die. 

Our lives are a fight to the death. Wait, I'm not Low Ki, disregard this post.

19 minutes ago, Victator said:

As a slob/borderline hoarder myself, I guarantee you this is AFTER he straightened up. 

It's only showing half the room too, Imagine what's off camera. Also, this is years ago, I wonder if he's got a new room full of just crates of things he hasn't looked at in 20 years.

• Like 1