DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 minute ago, PetrolCB said:

I’m not making fun, so nobody pile on me here. But this and many other things are why I think Meltzer has Aspergers. My uncle is the same way. Very smart, VERY dedicated to things he’s interested in. (History and sports mainly. Shit, he even wrote a hockey book and personally flew out to legends all over NA. Not to mention he was on Jeopardy.) But he’s also terrible with social cues, can’t pick up on a joke, and will say something that isn’t meant to be mean, but it’s just what his opinion is on the subject. 

I have a friend who is similar to this. Sometimes the "Meltzer has aspergers" stuff makes me feel uncomfortable, but then other times I don't know how else to describe it.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I have a friend who is similar to this. Sometimes the "Meltzer has aspergers" stuff makes me feel uncomfortable, but then other times I don't know how else to describe it.

I can see why, but it is a fairly common disorder. Nothing wrong with assuming it if the person exhibits the notable traits. It is a valid excuse as to why certain people act the way they do. They can’t help it. 

Twitter is just the place where most people go to say things to an eternally-listening crowd of people online that in the past, they would have said to their friends or spouse or themselves and just been done with it. 

Thus a bad sex joke that you'd normally just tell your friends in the bar or the mean observation that you'd make to your spouse about a reality show cast member become your public-facing personality. People get mad about "faux outrage" online when people dig up insensitive tweets, but the tweeter chose to put that out there as representative of how they think and feel, so...maybe just use Twitter to announce your next podcast going up or your new shirt being sold in the WWEShop and leave the personal opinions to the people who know you personally and are more willing to forgive you for saying some dumb shit. 

This is part of why I got married. When I feel the need to say some offensive shit, my wife patiently gives me that look that lets me know that I should think about what I just said and why it might be shitty or hurtful. Thankfully, this happens pretty rarely, but that's solely because she's made me a better person. 

Seth should have been making that remark to his significant other or his friends, not a faceless audience on Twitter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Corporate directives to talent wouldn't be that surprising.

How likely is it this is a corporate directive to pile on Meltzer?

Considering that Peyton Royce was the first one to go after Lio Rush for his idiotic Tweet before the rest of the roster tried to set him straight (and when it happened, it was said the IIconics were two of the leaders in the women's locker room), and considering how when they got the callup, a lot of the roster was celebrating that it happened- this seems like the most likely aspect would be "Peyton is very popular in the locker room and most of these wrestlers are trying to defend their friend" instead of "Vince McBoogeyman is telling the poor WWE wrestlers to gang up on innocent old Dave Meltzer because they hate fans."

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

How likely is it this is a corporate directive to pile on Meltzer?

Considering that Peyton Royce was the first one to go after Lio Rush for his idiotic Tweet before the rest of the roster tried to set him straight (and when it happened, it was said the IIconics were two of the leaders in the women's locker room), and considering how when they got the callup, a lot of the roster was celebrating that it happened- this seems like the most likely aspect would be "Peyton is very popular in the locker room and most of these wrestlers are trying to defend their friend" instead of "Vince McBoogeyman is telling the poor WWE wrestlers to gang up on innocent old Dave Meltzer because they hate fans."

I wouldn’t necessarily say that WWE told them to do it but I do think some people had agendas here. They already had a bone to pick with Dave and this was their chance to pounce. This is coming from that who doesn’t even like Dave very much and one of my favorite wrestlers (Rollins) went after him but I really think this is the case.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

*scrolls through tons of things*
My strongest most uninformed take: "I find people I am attracted to to be attractive!" I also like fluffy bunnies and puppies and kittens. Come at me! *shrug*

You're welcome to be attracted to whomever you want. I'm not sure who's arguing against that. 

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say that WWE told them to do it but I do think some people had agendas here. They already had a bone to pick with Dave and this was their chance to pounce. This is coming from that who doesn’t even like Dave very much and one of my favorite wrestlers (Rollins) went after him but I really think this is the case.

What bone did they already have to pick exactly?

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not THE bone, but I've read WWE seems to think Meltzer and his business had a hand in helping ROH/NJPW sell out MSG and they aren't too happy about it.

I dont know about the MSG one, but certainly they likely helped push the Chicago show. 

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

I don't know why, but this image just feels RIGHT as a non-sequitur that's still topical at the moment.

WRESTLING1-superJumbo.jpg

Look I'm not trying to body shame anyone here and I don't want to start an SJW pile on. I'm just saying that monitor is hella heavy-looking and thick in a not pleasing way and seeing it is making me depressed to think that was probably the monitor he was talking into for the Eyada show.

this weird thing is happening where a cultural shift is so rapid that a bunch of people, including myself, are suddenly dinosaurs and they aren't ready for it and they aren't old enough to be retired yet and they keep stumbling into tar pits. Maybe 1964-69 was the last time that happened. 

But one of Dave's biggest problems here is that he has internalized the logic and voice of "the business" (or really at this point just "Vince") that he sometimes gives "opinions" that are actually just him going through the motions of reading Vince's mind.  I can fully believe that when he says the words "I don't like how she looks right now" what it actually means is "Vince probably doesn't like the way she looks right now" and even Dave doesn't know the difference anymore. The sad thing is that he has absorbed the thoughtless and lazy logic of "the business" and adopted it's bizarre ideas as simple facts. It makes him as predictable and clumsy as the industry he's supposed to be casting a critical eye on.

• Like 4

The last three pages could form a strong basis for 'The Internet, a play.'

The first scene I wrote goes something like this:

"Say you're sorry! Come on, say it! Just fucking say it!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Yeah right! What a non apology!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Won't be enough for some people.

I mean if it's 36 minutes of "sorry everyone I actually would still fuck Peyton, happy to set the record straight" then why would it be enough, the issue is with the quality of his apology not how epic in length it is

if his first tweet had just been "sorry yeah I fucked up, I'll do better next time" it'd probably be done